Windows 10: Returned Surface after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: Can I reuse license or get refund?

Discus and support Returned Surface after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: Can I reuse license or get refund? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a Surface a few weeks ago which came with Windows 10 Home, so I upgraded toWindows 10 Pro using my Microsoft account through the Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Beach_Life, May 26, 2020.

1. Returned Surface after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: Can I reuse license or get refund?

I purchased a Surface a few weeks ago which came with Windows 10 Home, so I upgraded toWindows 10 Pro using my Microsoft account through the Microsoft online store $130.00 CDN. It was a very seamless process.

A short time later, I had to return the Surface and buy a replacement. I restored the Surface to factory settings and mailed it back for a refund.

The new replacement Surface also only has the Home edition and I need to update to Windows 10 Pro. The problem is that although the Windows 10 Pro upgrade is listed in my Microsoft account under purchased orders, there is no activation code associated with it. There is no way to reinstall it.

I spoke to someone at Microsoft on the phone and it seems that when you purchase the Windows 10 Pro upgrade this way, it is a one-time use associated with the computer and cannot be transferred.

It seems ridiculous to me that there is a way for me to return the hardware for a full refund but I can't take my purchased software and use it on the replacement computer using my same Microsoft account.

Since the Microsoft tech department couldn't help me out with an activation key,can I contact the billing department and have them refund my Windows 10 Pro upgrade so that I can re-purchase it for my current computer? It has been over 30 days since I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade, but I don't actually want a refund. I simply want to use the software I purchased.

Thank you.

:)

Beach_Life, May 26, 2020
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, May 26, 2020
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, May 26, 2020
  4. GT63_19 Win User

Returned Surface after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: Can I reuse license or get refund?

Reuse license to Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive

I'm installing a new hard drive on a PC hard drive that failed, it was upgrade from windows 7 to 10, can I reuse the license? and if so, do I have to install window 7 first then upgrade or just install windows 10? what are the steps to do this, do contact
    Microsoft?

GT63_19, May 26, 2020
Thema:

Returned Surface after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: Can I reuse license or get refund?

1. Returned Surface after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: Can I reuse license or get refund? - Similar Threads - Returned Surface upgrading

2. Can I get a Refund for Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I get a Refund for Windows 10 Pro?: Can I get a refund for Windows 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-a-refund-for-windows-10-pro/482eba69-f46c-4b2e-9af6-6742dcf8daa1
  3. Can I get a Refund for Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get a Refund for Windows 10 Pro?: Can I get a refund for Windows 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-get-a-refund-for-windows-10-pro/482eba69-f46c-4b2e-9af6-6742dcf8daa1
  4. Can I get a Refund for Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I get a Refund for Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Reusing upgrade to Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reusing upgrade to Pro: On October 25, 2022 I ordered Order number 5462823743 an upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for a Surface Pro 9. I then had to return it ARM version didn't work for me and I have now bought the Intel version of Surface Pro 9. How can I use the license I originally purchase on the new...
  7. Reusing upgrade to Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reusing upgrade to Pro: On October 25, 2022 I ordered Order number 5462823743 an upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for a Surface Pro 9. I then had to return it ARM version didn't work for me and I have now bought the Intel version of Surface Pro 9. How can I use the license I originally purchase on the new...
  8. How can I get a refund for Windows 10 Pro

How can I get a refund for Windows 10 Pro: Hi I just bought windows 10 Pro, but I don't really need it, Is there a way I can get a refund? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-a-refund-for-windows-10-pro/5ec1f59c-2c5a-47ec-8601-d44d6ccd914d
  9. Can I get a refund or transfer Windows 10 Pro upgrade?

Can I get a refund or transfer Windows 10 Pro upgrade?: I just purchased a new PC and immediately upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro. I then discovered a problem with this new PC that will require me to return it. Can I get a refund for or transfer the Windows 10 Pro license I purchased to a new PC?...
  10. Can I get a refund for windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I get a refund for windows 10 pro: I purchased Windows 10 pro to see if I could work at home due to the Corona Virus. Unfortunately even after help from our ICT department my laptop does not seem to be compatible...