Windows 10: Returning files from onedrive

Discus and support Returning files from onedrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I recently started using onedrive. During set up I chose to backup my files thinking there would be a copy of the files from my desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidW368, Apr 8, 2021.

1. DavidW368 Win User

Returning files from onedrive

Hi,

I recently started using onedrive. During set up I chose to backup my files thinking there would be a copy of the files from my desktop, documents, and my pictures stored in the onedrive folder. What I did not expect was that after choosing this, all of these files would be removed from my local hard drive and replaced with a link saying "where are my files". I cannot stand this and want the files back the way they were. I have turned off the files-on-demand feature, but it seems like all this does is stop moving new files to the cloud. Is there a way to have it return the files back to my computer?

I realize I could do this manually but unfortunately, I set this up on three different PCs and so I have all of the desktop, documents, and picture files from the three computers merged together. It will be painful to sort this out manually.

thanks.

:)

DavidW368, Apr 8, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Onedrive

Hi Hiatt,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to refer the article Find
    lost or missing files in OneDrive
    for more information regarding the missing files.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps to contact
    OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue.

1. Login to OneDrive.com.
    2. Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    3. Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Returning files from onedrive

Utilities that I run can no longer automatically save files to my OneDrive

Hi Alan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To set OneDrive as your default location to save your documents and files, follow the below steps.

1. Click on the OneDrive icon from the Taskbar area > Click on the menu button (three-dots) on the top-right corner > Click on
      Settings > Go to the Auto Save tab.
    2. Using the drop-down menu, select OneDrive for
      Desktop
      , Documents, and Pictures and click on
      OK.
    3. Once you complete the above steps, restart the computer once and try saving the files generated from utilities and check if it is saving in
      C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents folder.

If you are still facing the same issue, then I suggest you to contact OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue by following the below steps.

• Login to
      https://onedrive.com/
    • Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    • Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Returning files from onedrive

1. Returning files from onedrive - Similar Threads - Returning files onedrive

2. Unlinking files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlinking files from OneDrive: A week ago I installed sims 4 on my pc. Onedrive automatically, which is annoying in itself, decided to link the sims files. I only have 5 GB in total on my personal onedrive, so you can imagine what kind of problem the sims gaming files will create..So, I did the steps I...
  3. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  4. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  5. Files vanished from OneDrive

Files vanished from OneDrive: i have been switching from one computer to another. Both using the same onedrive. When logging into my older pc i found out that some of the files from the older pc had not been synchronized. - and when the onedrive did synchronize ive had lost the old files that i found. I...
  6. Return files from OneDrive to my PC and leave them there

Return files from OneDrive to my PC and leave them there: I want to stop OneDrive from taking my files and removing them from my laptop. I also want my files returned that it has taken. I did not give this process permissions and wish for it to return everything to normal. After refusing many requests to be enabled it somehow...
  7. Removing files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing files from OneDrive: How do I remove files from OneDrive without removing them from my computer? I don't have to have everything on my computer backed up to One Drive. How do I stop that from happening?...
  8. Files not deleting from OneDrive

Files not deleting from OneDrive: Files are not deleted from my OneDrive folder on my PC. Tried deleting them online & it did. While trying to open an image I was also getting an "Invalid value for registry" error. Vijay...
  9. Return files added to onedrive back to pc original folders

Return files added to onedrive back to pc original folders: is it possible to return onedrive files back to original folders on the pc? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/return-files-added-to-onedrive-back-to-pc-original/e01dc143-6177-4af9-9add-f79f8947aca2"
  10. OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Placeholders To Return With Redstone: A long time ago, in an OS far, far away, ok not that far away but with Window 8.1, Microsoft had a feature for OneDrive called placeholders. This feature allowed you to keep a very small file on your local machine that showed a thumbnail of the document that was stored in the...