Windows 10: Returning motherboard, and getting new one. How do I make sure my license if completely off...

Discus and support Returning motherboard, and getting new one. How do I make sure my license if completely off... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I think I am going to return my motherboard back to Amazon, and buy a different one. Right now I have a MSI B450M Gaming Plus, and I plan to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ADG., Jan 22, 2020.

1. ADG. Win User

Returning motherboard, and getting new one. How do I make sure my license if completely off...

Hello, I think I am going to return my motherboard back to Amazon, and buy a different one.

Right now I have a MSI B450M Gaming Plus, and I plan to buy a MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.

I have a Windows 10 Home Retail Key installed on the MSI B450M Gaming Plus and it says it is linked to my Microsoft account in the activation settings.

What I think I have to do is use the command slmgr /upk to uninstall the key, then I am going to swap the board with my old one while I wait for the new one. Is this all I have to do so the key is not associated with that board anymore? How can I make sure?

Thank you for any input.

:)

2. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Jan 22, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Returning motherboard, and getting new one. How do I make sure my license if completely off... :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 22, 2020
  4. Returning motherboard, and getting new one. How do I make sure my license if completely off...

New motherboard

How was Windows 10 setup on your computer?

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a preinstalled OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

If it was, then you can't transfer it to a new motherboard.

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

Then, yes, you can transfer it.

If its retail, the first thing I would make sure you do is link your license to your Microsoft Account:

Shutdown your computer, open the system unit, remove the old motherboard, install the new motherboard, connect your hard disk, then boot the system.

Windows 10 will automatically reconfigure itself then boot up.

Sign in.

If Windows 10 does not automatically reactivate, you can wait a few days.

If not, open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshoot

Sign in

Click Next, then choose your computer from the list of machines.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

Returning motherboard, and getting new one. How do I make sure my license if completely off...

1. Returning motherboard, and getting new one. How do I make sure my license if completely off... - Similar Threads - Returning motherboard getting

2. How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?: My numlock key is defaulting to off. Is there any way to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-sure-numlock-is-on-at-startup/5ec14c85-c162-44ed-bb94-3d8adbffe314
  3. How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make sure Numlock is on at startup?: My numlock key is defaulting to off. Is there any way to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-sure-numlock-is-on-at-startup/5ec14c85-c162-44ed-bb94-3d8adbffe314
  4. How do I get rid of One Drive completely ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of One Drive completely ?: Hi. I got so fed up with OneDrive, that I have uninstalled it and deleted the One Drive folder on the C: Drive. I don't want it and don't need it. However, when I save a for example PowerPoint file it defaults to OneDrive - Personal. How do I stop this ? I just want the...
  5. How do I get rid of One Drive completely ?

How do I get rid of One Drive completely ?: Hi. I got so fed up with OneDrive, that I have uninstalled it and deleted the One Drive folder on the C: Drive. I don't want it and don't need it. However, when I save a for example PowerPoint file it defaults to OneDrive - Personal. How do I stop this ? I just want the...
  6. I would like to return my Window 11pro order, or get a new license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I would like to return my Window 11pro order, or get a new license?: Hi, I just purchased Windows 11 pro and installed it on a laptop. However I had to return that laptop and exchange it so I will need to reinstall it on a new laptop. Can I please either get a refund for it, or get a license so I can install it to to new laptop? I was not able...
  7. I would like to return my Window 11pro order, or get a new license?

I would like to return my Window 11pro order, or get a new license?: Hi, I just purchased Windows 11 pro and installed it on a laptop. However I had to return that laptop and exchange it so I will need to reinstall it on a new laptop. Can I please either get a refund for it, or get a license so I can install it to to new laptop? I was not able...
  8. how do i make sure that my windows 10 license is linked to my Microsoft account ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how do i make sure that my windows 10 license is linked to my Microsoft account ?: how do i make sure that my windows 10 license is linked to my Microsoft account so that when i reinstall windows on my same pc i wont need any product key and my windows automatically gets activated when i log in to my Microsoft account...
  9. If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?: I've checked various sites and the CPU I have on my motherboard is the best it can have, I've had this computer for a long time now and I wanted to upgrade to a new motherboard however there are a few people that say that I would need to purchase Windows 10 again and that...
  10. Returning computer - how do I get all my personal data off of it

in Windows 10 Support
    Returning computer - how do I get all my personal data off of it: I think I have decided to return my Dell due to the occasional quiet squeak that I hear. I am concerned about all the data I have on it already. How would I go about getting all my data off so that the next possible owner can not get to it? thanks 149375