Windows 10: Returning PC OS from Linux to Windows

Discus and support Returning PC OS from Linux to Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A friend of mine, with even less know how than me, wants to see if she can return her PC from Linux (which she does not like), to Windows OS. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by clayto, Mar 25, 2019.

1. clayto Win User

Returning PC OS from Linux to Windows

A friend of mine, with even less know how than me, wants to see if she can return her PC from Linux (which she does not like), to Windows OS. The machine had Windows on it previously, though we are not sure which version.

I am trying to find some advice for her.

As a start, we will establish the specs of her approx. 6 year old Toshiba to see if it (more than) matches the minimum requirements. I have provided MS's list of specifications, but it seems Speccy is not available for Linux. However, I am checking out alternatives.

Next, I guess there is not much point in installing an earlier version than Windows 10, Home? (Except that we are going to check if the original Windows OS is still on the machine.) I understand there are a number of ways to (legally) acquire a Product Key other than paying the full market price? This is something I am not at all familiar with, as I have always bought a machine with Windows ready for activation.

If we find for some reason W10 is not a realistic option, what would be involved in installing W8.1? She would be happy with XP, which she uses on another machine, if it were not for the internet security issue.

We would both welcome some guidance.

:)

clayto, Mar 25, 2019

2. Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Mar 25, 2019
  3. Silverel Win User
    Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Migons Win User

Linux. Start here!

You're right, but why to list Mac OS X while Linux with KDE/Gnome is so similar to it? Well, almost.. BSDs aren't listed either, even they are pretty similar to Linuxes too.

In my opinion, it almost exactly same to learn Linux in real Linux or Mac OS... But of course it's better to learn Linux in Linux *Wink Returning PC OS from Linux to Windows ;)

Migons, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Returning PC OS from Linux to Windows - Similar Threads - Returning Linux

2. Device returned to Louisville, KY. Need help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device returned to Louisville, KY. Need help.: Hi. Earlier this week I purchased a USB copy of Windows 11 that was to be sent to my PO Box. Nothing in the order told me it couldn’t be shipped to a PO Box, but upon tracking it, I found it was returned to sender on Wednesday. It currently says they are attempting to obtain...
  3. Device returned to Louisville, KY. Need help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device returned to Louisville, KY. Need help.: Hi. Earlier this week I purchased a USB copy of Windows 11 that was to be sent to my PO Box. Nothing in the order told me it couldn’t be shipped to a PO Box, but upon tracking it, I found it was returned to sender on Wednesday. It currently says they are attempting to obtain...
  4. Fix Remote server returned ‘550 5.7.520 Access denied, Your organization does not allow...

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fix Remote server returned ‘550 5.7.520 Access denied, Your organization does not allow...: This is a security feature from Microsoft 365 where it will block emails from being forwarded outside the tenant. If you get such a message, this means that the recipient has forwarding set outside its tenant. To allow this feature, follow the below guide. Open the Office...
  5. Upon returning from school, I powered on my laptop to play Overwatch 2, but noticed it was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upon returning from school, I powered on my laptop to play Overwatch 2, but noticed it was...: Upon returning from school, I eagerly powered on my laptop and launched Overwatch 2. Despite my laptop not being a top-of-the-line gaming device, I was still able to achieve a respectable 150-200 fps with the graphics settings set to low. While engrossed in the game, I...
  6. Upon returning from school, I powered on my laptop to play Overwatch 2, but noticed it was...

Upon returning from school, I powered on my laptop to play Overwatch 2, but noticed it was...: Upon returning from school, I eagerly powered on my laptop and launched Overwatch 2. Despite my laptop not being a top-of-the-line gaming device, I was still able to achieve a respectable 150-200 fps with the graphics settings set to low. While engrossed in the game, I...
  7. Upon returning from school, I powered on my laptop to play Overwatch 2, but noticed it was...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working?: how can I import hyperlinked files to excel since the return to classic view is not working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-import-hyperlinked-files-to-excel-since/0be4d3ad-9042-40a2-8c00-4b2d8deee5e2
  9. I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.: My first DIY computer build was Windows 98, but seeing Microsoft progress through malware over the years caused me to abandon Windows. My recommendation to anyone who has thrown away their old gear is to give it a new lease of life by using linux. Once you try it, you will...
  10. I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.

I converted to Linux KDE 10 years ago and will never return back to Windows.: My first DIY computer build was Windows 98, but seeing Microsoft progress through malware over the years caused me to abandon Windows. My recommendation to anyone who has thrown away their old gear is to give it a new lease of life by using linux. Once you try it, you will...