Windows 10: Reupgrading after the free period ends.

Discus and support Reupgrading after the free period ends. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have just been asked an interesting question, and I could not answer for sure. Suppose you are running 8.1, then upgrade, and rollback in the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cereberus, Jul 19, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Reupgrading after the free period ends.

I have just been asked an interesting question, and I could not answer for sure.

Suppose you are running 8.1, then upgrade, and rollback in the free period.

We all know that establishes a digital licence.

We also know we can clean install at any time in the future.

Also, we know we can upgrade aa second time in the free period.

BUT can we upgrade again (keeping all files - forget wisdom of doing this) after the free period ends?

My gut feel is we must be able to do so, as you can already upgrade an unactivated version of windows 8.1 but the upgraded version would remain unactivated assuming no prior digital licence.

I assume the upgrade would check for a digital licence anyway. In worst case, you might need to use tbe Redstone Activation Troubleshooter.

Agreed?

:)

cereberus, Jul 19, 2016

2. Upgrading, downgrading, and reupgrading.

So, let's say (hypothetically) that i upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 during the free upgrade period. Then after the free upgrade period I downgraded back down to windows 8, but then decided to re-upgrade to windows 10 after the free upgrade period.
    Could I reupgrade to Windows 10 after the free upgrade period because I already did the upgrade during the free upgrade period?

MaximooseMine, Jul 19, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - After the "FREE UPGRADE" period ends....

CharlesRakes_92, Jul 19, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

I suspect an upgrade after the free period will require an upgrade license, and so, a clean install to grab the digital entitlement will be necessary. But if you upgrade, why not make an image before falling back?

simrick, Jul 19, 2016
  5. My gut feeling is, it will work. The PC will just activate with the existing digital entitlement. My laptop has Home and Pro digital entitlements. Due to the Windows 8.0 OEM key, Windows 10 Home got installed by default when I did a clean install. I just entered the generic key to upgrade to Pro and activate with the (Pro) digital entitlement it got when I did my free upgrade from 8.1 Pro. That upgrade from Home to Pro had nothing to do with the free upgrade offer. 10 Home is not a qualifying OS. I'm going to have to try and remember to actually give this a try after the 29th. Reinstall 8.0 or 8.1 and do an upgrade and see what happens.

alphanumeric, Jul 20, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Yes, will be good to see what happens. *Smile

simrick, Jul 20, 2016
  7. Superfly Win User
    Logic says it should work. The genuine ticket (that will be created when using a Win 7/8 key) has the hardware-id that is required to be activated... so sending a hardware-id that is already on MS servers (same edition and wot-not), it should recognise it and send back the digital licence for activation.

Superfly, Jul 20, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

I was asking out of curiousity.

Re image backup - that partly helps, but if person makes subsequent changes after reverting, image becomes outdated.

cereberus, Jul 20, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm agreeing with Superfly on this one.

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    M, these are are some of the things that I'm quite keen on seeing pan out
    Like equating digital entitlement (ie. hardware-id) = Product key - it's not as simple as we thought, given various scenarios. Interesting times ahead... phone activation is out as an escape route for one.

Superfly, Jul 20, 2016
  11. Everybody having the same product code (digital entitlement) would make phone activation tricky, lol. Having it tied to your Microsoft ID could make it easier though.

alphanumeric, Jul 20, 2016
  12. groze Win User
    I can also throw another monkey wrench into the activation issue doing a re-upgrading using a windows 7 system that has a legit oem-slp key. I am referring to oem computers that come pre-activated with windows 7 sp1. This might even effect clean installs after the 29th but I am not sure.

groze, Jul 21, 2016
  13. Reupgrading after the free period ends.

That would mean restoring the factory Windows 7 install, then upgrading again. There will likely be some that think they have to do it from scratch all over again if they need to reinstall. Hopefully, if no digital entitlement no activation, digital entitlement = activation. On a clean install there will be no key to detect. So they should get the key prompt, and then the select Home or Pro menu when they click skip. Select the wrong one and it won't activate.

I can see I'm going to be doing some test installs after the 29th. Probably several.

alphanumeric, Jul 21, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
  15. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jul 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Reupgrading after the free period ends. - Similar Threads - Reupgrading free period

2. MS Project Free Trial Period

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Project Free Trial Period: Hi,I just registered with Project Plan 1. I received an invoice which said I will be charged in two days.Don't I have a one month free trial period?Thank you.Enrique *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  3. MS Project Free Trial Period

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Project Free Trial Period: Hi,I just registered with Project Plan 1. I received an invoice which said I will be charged in two days.Don't I have a one month free trial period?Thank you.Enrique *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  4. security 30 day period ends today still not accessible.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security 30 day period ends today still not accessible.: My 30 day waiting period for security access ends today and it still says not accessible. Is it a full 30 days from the minute to minute I changed my security info, or do I have a problem?...
  5. Visual Studio Community 2019 Evaluation period has ended

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Visual Studio Community 2019 Evaluation period has ended: Good day, I wanted to unlock my Visual Studio Community 2019 to continue making software programs from Visual Studio.Net IDE. Thank you....
  6. It should be a REQUIREMENT that all In-App Prices after Free Trial period be posted on the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It should be a REQUIREMENT that all In-App Prices after Free Trial period be posted on the...: This practice of offering a Free Trial Period followed by an In-App purchase that requires a monthly fee is fine. However, sellers should be required to Post this price up front in the product listing page! I was looking at a Synthesizer Keyboard App on the Microscoft...
  7. Windows 10 after free offer ends

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 after free offer ends: Hi my friend is unsure if he wants Windows 10 or not...he currently has XP. It has passed the Windows 8 compatability test, so will accept Windows 10. If I install Windows 7 pro as a clean install, then upgrade to Windows 10....but after the 30 days, decide to reinstall...
  8. Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Free for limited period

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Free for limited period: At Paragon Software, we believe that system and data protection is underrated by many users. Unfortunately, this subset of users only think about safeguarding their PCs after disaster has already struck. For a limited period, we're therefore offering the software for...
  9. Installing Win10 after the free upgrade period ends

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Win10 after the free upgrade period ends: Hello, This is my first time here and couldn't find an answer after a few minutes of searching. Sorry if this has been asked already... Anyway, I have an HP laptop that came with windows 8 and has a ~20Gb recovery partition that re-installs Win8 and all the bundled...
  10. Free Install Period

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free Install Period: Am going away for extended period. When does the free offer terminate please? rgds. 37004