Windows 10: Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Discus and support Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by radiowaves, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it to create subsequent differential backups. Is it possible to use one Backup Definition File to create all your backups if you always use the same settings? For me, the only difference would be the comments for each backup. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect 7.1.

:)

radiowaves, Oct 14, 2017
  2. SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 14, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    File History versus Dedicated Backup Software

I'll second JohnD's recommendation of Macrium Reflect. I'm very happy with it.

True Image and Reflect are image backup applications, although they can also make file and folder backups. File History only makes file backups.

For image backups I use the paid version of Macrium Reflect, but the free version works just as well and is equally reliable. It just has fewer features.

For file and folder backups I use 7zip, which is free. It's actually a compression program. I taught myself how to use command line and how to run it on a schedule. Not bad for a guy who didn't major in Computer Science.

BulldogXX, Oct 14, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

You can use the same backup file. I recommend you set a schedule so backups will be done automatically.

Steve C, Oct 14, 2017
  5. If I did use a single backup definition file, would I be able to change the comments on a full backup or would the original comments still be in the backup definition file?

I keep my backup drives offline until I need them, so a schedule wouldn’t work for me.

radiowaves, Oct 14, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File [​IMG]

To make comments changes:
    • right click definition
    • click Advanced options when window pops up
    • go to the comments tab in the 2nd window that opens up

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File [​IMG]

Cliff S, Oct 14, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    Your original comments are in the Backup Definition File.
    If you want different comments then make different Back Definition files with an appropriate filename I would think.

You can also Edit the Backup definition file with Blue Pen or Spanner toolbar icons.

The Right Click variation gives more explanatory text to those Icons, useful.

The XML files are viewable outside of Macrium if you want, File icon.

Helmut, Oct 14, 2017
  8. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Ok good. The backup definition file is reusable. Drilling down a bit deeper, can I still reuse it if I switch off destination drives? I rotate my backup drives every time I do a full backup. Ideally, I would like to use a single backup definition file across all my backup drives. Is this doable?

radiowaves, Oct 14, 2017
  9. Helmut Win User
    Yes, it's all doable, but not in one definition file. It's up to you to keep a track of the definition files and use the one relevant to a particular drive.

Those definition files (XML) are essentially in plain text so you can see the path, disk id, permissions and so forth.

I'm not clever enough to fiddle with such files or understand the relevance, so hence my first two sentences. Keep it simple.

No doubt some one on here is more knowledgeable and can help.

Helmut, Oct 14, 2017
  10. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes you need a definition file for each back up drive its best to assign Drive letters to each near the end of the alphabet R S T X etc, that way windows won't change the drive letters on you and screw up your back ups.
    Otherwise if drive letters change you'll have to edit the definition file to seek the current drive letter of the back up drive. it if find the wrong drive the back up won't match up to the new back up running and will fail with error can not find a back up to write to.

Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

1. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File - Similar Threads - Reusability Macrium Reflect

2. Macrium reflect file backup free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium reflect file backup free?: Is the macrium reflect file folder backup free? submitted by /u/87d112 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f8hwui/macrium_reflect_file_backup_free/
  3. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  4. Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free: A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017 15:05:10 Initializing Destination Drive:...
  5. Macrium Reflect & backups & restore

Macrium Reflect & backups & restore: I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist, so you're not getting a...
  6. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  7. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  8. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  9. Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition

Macrium Reflect user? Upgraded Win 10? Check your backup definition: I thought I'd share something which just caught me out with Macrium Reflect Free. The Win10 upgrade seemed to cause Macrium to change the scope of what it backed up, and effectively exclude a partition form being backed up. My old laptop which I use for most things was...
  10. Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect: Hello Everybody, I don't understand this line. (see screenshot. I'm going to use O: as my USB drive. So do I create O:\WinPE\rescue\media? Don Cole [img] 106524