Windows 10: Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Discus and support Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Here we go again, with another ginned-up controversy over Windows 10 and privacy. I know, I know, you're probably as sick of this as I am, and much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Read more: Revealed! The crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing | ZDNet

Brink, Jan 6, 2016
  2. OldMike65 Win User

Good article Shawn!!!! Thanks.....*Thumbs

:)

OldMike65, Jan 6, 2016
  3. verpies Win User
    E72 software v52.005 Leaks Information even when Locked

Nokia E72 with the newest firmware software v52.005 leaks information even when it is locked with the Lock Code.

Namely, the missed call/text message notification on the home screen reveals the full details of the caller/sender even when the phone is locked with the Lock Code.

By Comparison the firmware software v500.21.009 for the previous model, the Nokia E71, does not reveal the details of the caller/sender when the phone is locked. Only the message count is revealed without the Lock Code on E71 with this firmware.

Revealing this information on E72 is a violation of user's privacy. Imagine your jealous girfriend having a fit because she saw that your ex-girfriend has sent you a message despite that the phone was locked!

verpies, Jan 6, 2016
  4. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Windows updates download but wont install

Running the troubleshooter reveals "windows update database error" How do I fix it?

I have the latest creator version of W10

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy

ronaldsticklesYH, Jan 6, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    Unfortunately this article will not dispel the paranoia that those with privacy issues feel.

dencal, Jan 6, 2016
  6. I think those people have privacy issues, not Windows...

Olivir2014, Jan 7, 2016
  7. siepo Win User
    You may call it analytics, but it is still data collection, and I do not like it. The data may be anonymized, but in many cases it will still be possible to uniquely identify people.
    And should we just trust Microsoft on their say-so that the collected data are innocuous, now and in perpetuity?
    Even basic data collection should be opt-out.

siepo, Jan 7, 2016
  8. DoItJust Win User

It's a Brave New World. That's not so new these days

Google have done it for a long time
    Apple have done it for a long time
    Many others have done it for a long time

MS finally caught on, you can't blame them for this.

DoItJust, Jan 7, 2016
  9. unifex Win User
    Windows 7 also contains all kinds of telemetry, but one can turn it all off if one is so preoccupied with privacy, or simply wants to reduce the bandwidth usage. Apparently in Windows 10 it's not so easy and some say impossible. That's the real controversy in my opinion. The quoted article does not offer anything new on that point.

unifex, Jan 7, 2016
  10. Couldn't agree more, some people are such conspiracy theorists...

joedaman633, Jan 7, 2016
  11. SonicMojo Win User
    While I generally like Ed Bott and his articles - unless he has seen Windows source code, can confirm 110% on what exactly is being collected by that code and finally - what MS is actually doing with that data - I call it a privacy issue.

Of course MS is going to say publicly that it's simply "telemetry data". What else are they going to say - really. I am certain their lawyers have drafted an exacting elevator speech to be used anytime the general public comes sniffing around on this topic.

Still - the strangest part of this entire debacle is why a Win 10 Enterprise user can ensure MS gets zero "data" but Joe Public user has no recourse but to dial things back to minimal.

Sonic.

SonicMojo, Jan 7, 2016
  12. Drybonz Win User
    That's right... it's called metadata... the same thing the NSA is not supposed to be collecting but does anyway. As someone else said, above, MS isn't the only company that engages in metadata collection, and many people are just fine with it as long as you give them cable television and an iPhone, they are content with just about anything... which is why companies are able to continue collecting metadata. It won't stop and will only get worse until people get angry about it. The article in the original post is obviously written by someone who is content with data collection and wants to encourage other people to be just as content.

Drybonz, Jan 8, 2016
  13. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Unforunately, Ed Bott, in his determination to whitewash the whole spying controversy, is confusing terms -- to defend MS collecting data on us all.

What he is talking about, even though he uses the term "analytics" is really nothing more than data analysis -- and that analysis concerns what is DONE with the data. It does not excuse, nor does it justify, collecting data on folks.

Let's suppose I was able to access your bank records for the past 90 days, and not only yours, but everyone you know -- and ALL I did with that information was generate graphs of product purchasing trends -- what kinds of items, what price ranges, how often purchased, etc. And, I then used that information to inform product manufacturers of the relative successes of their product in the recent marketplaces. That's -- data analysis, or what Ed Bott and MS prefer to call "analytics".

Does that mean I did not SPY on your financial information, insofar as I collected it without getting your specific permission for each item, ahead of time. NO! I DID spy on you -- the fact that I did not use any of your personal identity information for nefarious purposes, or for personal gain, has nothing whatsoever to do with WHAT I did, only WHY I did it.

MS collects personal data -- their previous admissions and written statements make this clear -- that they use it ONLY to do data analysis (for which, BTW, we only have their word and the word of their defenders), does not change the fact that it is still spying on folks.

Mark Phelps, Jan 8, 2016
  14. SonicMojo Win User
    The only data I am willing to ever "share" with MS - or any software company - is the data collected concerned when I purchased my licenses. Put those figures in some spreadsheet somewhere and do with it what you will.

If I need help - I will reach out to you.

Sonic.

SonicMojo, Jan 8, 2016
  15. gator2013 Win User
    Mark, I agree with you 100%

What amazes me is how many people just don't care.*Eek

I am not paranoid but facts are facts and legislation regarding this type of data collection is decades behind where it should be.

gator2013, Jan 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing - Similar Threads - Revealed Crucial detail

2. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  3. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  4. New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed

in Windows 10 News
    New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed: In January, Microsoft confirmed that it’s working on a Google Discover-like news and weather feed for Windows 10 taskbar. This feature is currently available to testers in the Insider program and it would be optional, which means you can always hide it on the taskbar....
  5. Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft: Windows 10X is rumoured to be a modular and multi-device operating system that will compete against the likes of ChromeOS in the education niche. Based on last year’s announcement, it looks like Windows 10X is going to be a ‘hybrid’ OS, which means the operating system will...
  6. Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update: Windows 10 November 2019 Update codenamed ’19H2′ is not a big release and it comes with improvements only. The key highlights include a new search experience in File Explorer, performance improvements and longer battery life on some devices. Microsoft’s Spring 2019 Update...
  7. Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates: The next two Windows 10 updates “19H2” and “20H1” are set to arrive in November and Spring 2019 respectively. While Windows 10 19H2 (November 2019 Update) is a small update, 20H1 is expected to be a full-fledged update with new features and major improvements. If the...
  8. More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed

in Windows 10 News
    More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed: Windows 10 version 1909 (codenamed 19H2) was expected to land on October 2 and October 8 but now it appears that the update will be finalized later this month. Windows 10 version 1909, which is a minor feature update for Windows 10, could be finalized by the end of next week...
  9. Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS: Microsoft's long rumored dual-screen Andromeda phone may never see the light of day, but the related "Windows Core OS" project or WCOS, is still underway, and according to a job vacancy posted on LinkedIn, it's all about Windows 10 devices and drivers. The vacancy for a...
  10. Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details: Even though Microsoft is already working on a second major Windows 8.1 Update, most eyes are on the next full version of Windows, possibly called Windows 9, which could debut as soon as spring 2015. While no confirmed details are available right now [img] , people familiar...