Windows 10: Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Discus and support Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The problem is: The more companies that store data about you, the more likely it is to be stolen by hackers Security costs money therefore it is one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

The problem is:
    • The more companies that store data about you, the more likely it is to be stolen by hackers
    • Security costs money therefore it is one of the first areas to be subjected to budget cuts
    • AFAIK, MS hasn't explained where to find this info to confirm that it only contains what they claim it does

No one could have stolen user credit card details from Sony if they hadn't been storing them in the first place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage

It's not paranoia when they are out to get you.

The majority of compaines shouldn't be allowed to collect this type of info in the first place.

lehnerus2000, Jan 8, 2016

2. The PROBLEM is that people have been spoiled by Firefox (and other browsers?) allowing users to opt-out of data/telemetry collection. So, quite naturally, we wonder why the Windows10 O.S. doesn't allow a similar "opting out".

Most likely there isn't an opt-out because Windows-10 is FREE. When you accept something that's free, (like govt food stamps), there are always strings attached.

My gut feeling is that data-gathering is just one mandatory condition that comes with using Windows-10. There will be more that come to light as time passes.

AllenChicago, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Trust_No1 Win User
    The problem I have with Ed Bott the author of the article, is, that he is almost like a shill for Microsoft. According to him, Microsoft is more omnipotent than God.

Trust_No1, Jan 8, 2016
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

It must be hard going through life sitting in font of a computer screen worried about who is watching, and who is data mining your computer so that they can built up a portfolio on just you, so that they know know what it is you do every day you life. Just thank about it Microsoft probably knows when you get up to the bathroom, what kind of takeout food you order, "oh BTW" so does Apple, The NSA, Google, the CIA, (along with other world intelligence organizations. . . .Good luck to all of you, and do whatever it takes to stay hidden. . .*Smile

5. Cliff S New Member
    Uh-oh! @Lee! You just mentioned all those companies and agencies, you're on their RADAR now!*Roflmao2

Cliff S, Jan 8, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    No rep allowed in the News section, otherwise you had got some! My sentiments exactly.

7. unifex Win User
    Well, that's an interesting discussion but I think it's important to understand, what exactly is being collected and whether one can stop it from happening.

First of all, if someone is completely opposed to anything at all being sent from their computer to Microsoft, then you should turn those features off. In Windows 7 it's fairly straightforward, in Windows 10 it looks like the settings alone do not allow you to do much, but you can always block those transmissions with a firewall (perhaps a third-party firewall) or simply by modifying your hosts file.

Now, if you are not that paranoid, you should still think of whether your computer actually contains any personal information, if yes, than in what form. Do you really think that some Microsoft code searches through your pdf files (and I can't think of any other way of keeping personal information on a PC)? If yes, then keep your pdf files in a separate folder (certainly not your Documents folder) and encrypt it. In addition you can restrict access to that folder so that only you can access it.

Finally, there have been "reports" (claims rather) that Microsoft has included a keylogger into Windows 10. I don't believe any of them are credible, I guess if it would really the case, it would be all over TV by now. But if you actually believe this to be true, then don't use 10, nobody forces you to.

Last, but not least, I completely disagree with the notion that one has to put up with anything Microsoft is doing because Windows 10 is free. It's not really free. For example, I chose not to use the free upgrade offer, so when I buy a new PC it will most certainly come with Windows 10 and I will be paying for it. I doubt that it will be some different OS without all of the telemetry turned on by default.

unifex, Jan 8, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

How can anyone possibly imagine their own personal details are more important to M$ than the billions of other users worldwide?.
    To collect all the so called personal details of every user, M$ would have to employ half of the population on the planet.

Far more personal details are already in circulation ie- medical, tax, licences, employment, and on and on , without you even going online.

dencal, Jan 8, 2016
  9. siepo Win User
    Data mining technologies are getting ever more sophisticated. You do not have to be a target at the outset, but you may be singled out as a potential suspect by e.g. the FBI because of where you traveled, what websites you visited, what you bought online or because of your contacts. Law enforcement barely needs an excuse to get at any collected data.

siepo, Jan 8, 2016
  10. dencal Win User
    We in the UK are grateful that interception by GCHQ and law enforcement agencies have foiled many an IS outrage with the arrest of many plotters, and also paedophiles by "listening in".

You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide.

dencal, Jan 8, 2016
  11. siepo Win User
    Huh?

siepo, Jan 8, 2016
  12. That is THE SINGLE MOST DETESTABLE viewpoint I ever have heard. I referred to it for that very reason the other day. Anyone who says that just could care less about any privacy issues of any sort. No sense even discussing it with someone that thinks that way.

For those so completely trusting towards Microsoft, remember they committed some hefty anti-competitive practices towards IBM (the hand that originally fed them when they needed an OS from Microsoft for their new PC), and made it impossible for PC manufacturers to preload anything other than Windows throughout the 90s. Why would you trust a company like that to value your information? If they were OK screwing over a tech giant, then doing the same to you is nothing to them.

Jody Thornton, Jan 8, 2016
  13. z3r010 Win User

I'm with you on this one, I'd also have CCTV and ANPR on every street corner, compulsory ID cards with finger prints and DNA stored in them *Thumbs

z3r010, Jan 8, 2016
  14. Please post your bank login details including all passwords and PINs.

BTW, which party did you vote for?
    The other side will be very interested to know that.

Here is a US example of what happens if you live in an area that has been deemed to be an enemy of the current "head honcho":
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_L...losure_scandal

Since unemployment is such a big issue in western countries, maybe the UK Government should hire all the employed and get them to stand on street corners, inspecting everybody's ID.
    "Show ze papers!" *Biggrin

lehnerus2000, Jan 9, 2016
  15. Kari Win User
    Might of course be me being not on the same intellectual level but I fail see the relevance here, the common factor between this incident and the privacy in Windows?

Thema:

1. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing - Similar Threads - Revealed Crucial detail

2. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  3. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  4. New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed

in Windows 10 News
    New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed: In January, Microsoft confirmed that it’s working on a Google Discover-like news and weather feed for Windows 10 taskbar. This feature is currently available to testers in the Insider program and it would be optional, which means you can always hide it on the taskbar....
  5. Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft: Windows 10X is rumoured to be a modular and multi-device operating system that will compete against the likes of ChromeOS in the education niche. Based on last year’s announcement, it looks like Windows 10X is going to be a ‘hybrid’ OS, which means the operating system will...
  6. Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update: Windows 10 November 2019 Update codenamed ’19H2′ is not a big release and it comes with improvements only. The key highlights include a new search experience in File Explorer, performance improvements and longer battery life on some devices. Microsoft’s Spring 2019 Update...
  7. Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates: The next two Windows 10 updates “19H2” and “20H1” are set to arrive in November and Spring 2019 respectively. While Windows 10 19H2 (November 2019 Update) is a small update, 20H1 is expected to be a full-fledged update with new features and major improvements. If the...
  8. More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed

in Windows 10 News
    More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed: Windows 10 version 1909 (codenamed 19H2) was expected to land on October 2 and October 8 but now it appears that the update will be finalized later this month. Windows 10 version 1909, which is a minor feature update for Windows 10, could be finalized by the end of next week...
  9. Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS: Microsoft's long rumored dual-screen Andromeda phone may never see the light of day, but the related "Windows Core OS" project or WCOS, is still underway, and according to a job vacancy posted on LinkedIn, it's all about Windows 10 devices and drivers. The vacancy for a...
  10. Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details: Even though Microsoft is already working on a second major Windows 8.1 Update, most eyes are on the next full version of Windows, possibly called Windows 9, which could debut as soon as spring 2015. While no confirmed details are available right now [img] , people familiar...