Windows 10: Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Discus and support Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Please post your bank login details including all passwords and PINs. BTW, which party did you vote for? The other side will be very interested to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 6, 2016.

1. dencal Win User

Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

I think you might have been drinking a little too much of the amber liquid, such an irrelevant surreal post.

dencal, Jan 9, 2016
  2. Uilly Win User

First off... I have just joined, after regularly reading this forum since July last year.
    Doing so, has been helpful in solving a couple of niggles with windows 10. Installed windows 10 faultlessly when it became available
    on July 29th. Of all versions of the OS i have used since Windows 95, it is with the exception of windows 8 (witch I loathed from
    day one), is one that I have not been impressed with. Tweaks mention on this forum have been helpful in restoring Windows photo viewer, disabling Edge Corny (an getting rid of Bing) and in making it more secure, so thanks for all your help on those issues.
    Guess I should add, that I use Classic Shell (have done so since windows 8) and make no use of MS apps (that MS seems to
    update daily, though I don't use them).

dencal:
    I only wanted to make the point from a European perspective, as to why some of us have what you may judge as having
    hang-ups about personal privacy, as being incautious with our personal privacy in some circumstances can have a high
    price, as shown in the early part of the last century, and in Soviet occupied eastern Europe.

For example the phrase "You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide" is a variation of one that was used
    by the regime in Germany in the pre-war and war years, to dupe the public. That may be an extreme example, but I still
    think privacy, personal privacy is something we should value highly.

Uilly, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Kari Win User
    How is your personal privacy violated if and when the manufacturer of your chosen OS collects anonymous usage data? Why should I feel my privacy violated if and when Microsoft collects data about how often I launch Edge, how much I use Groove to listen music, how many searches I do with Cortana and Bing?

Please could you give a few practical examples: What will or can happen to me when using Windows 10 with its default settings? How will my life be affected?

4. dencal Win User

W10 is an O/S that you have chosen, how you choose to use it is optional, not dictated too by M$.

Any personal information on the net apart from a Microsoft Account (Security backed up twice) is made solely by you the operator.

So the answer is don't use any websites that you feel would compromise your security, hence my statement.
    "You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide"

PS I am a European.

dencal, Jan 9, 2016
  5. Uilly Win User
    Agree it is up to the user, buyer to decide... MS gets minimal from my use of Win 10 (as they have with all OSs
    I have used since Win 95) as I don't buy into the argument they need the amount of info they are gathering, they
    have been making OSs for more than two decades, so should know what their customer wants by now (aside
    fromwhich they had and have with Win 10 an insider program or whatever), same goes for Edge, MS have been
    making browsers a lot longer than either Google or Chrome (and their browsers are something you choose
    to use on your PC, they are not monitoring how the PC is used). Do car, plane manufacturers need constant
    feedback from hundreds of millions of users daily, hourly, to come up with a new one...

Personally I still think a phrase attributed to Joseph Goebbels, is the wrong one to use...

Uilly, Jan 9, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    You are sadly mistaken...your remarks concerning Google....they being the original master data collectors, they have made a lot of money in so doing using telemetry and metadata.

Bing in Edge having realised the possible cash cow are now doing catch up, and have joined the gravy train.

I await with interest you answering Kari,s post...

dencal, Jan 9, 2016
  7. Atomic77 Win User
    The truth is they are probably only collecting data to help them decide how to improve EDGE and there OS and other software made by Microsoft. It its nothing to be used against us.

Atomic77, Jan 9, 2016
  8. Uilly Win User

If you are comfortable with MS anonymously collecting data,from
    your PC. It is your choice.

Uilly, Jan 9, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    I asked you to explain this, to give practical examples. Please do that, I am curious. I repeat the questions below.

Quoting my previous post:

10. Uilly Win User
    It is your choice, if you want to use the default settings or not. I decide not to use them, that
    was my choice.

Uilly, Jan 9, 2016
  11. hawkman Win User
    hawkman, Jan 9, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    I have to repeat: what are the consequences to me as a Windows 10 user? You posted this:

Stating something like that, comparing it to the user statistical data collected by Microsoft, you should have some real and valid examples. That's why I am still waiting you to tell me what am I risking, what will or might happen to me as a Windows 10 user because I let my Windows 10 call home when it wants, let Microsoft collect the data?

Was your post just empty meaningless words or can you give me some examples? Give me something to make me believe you know what you are talking about, facts instead of tinfoil hat brigade paranoid assumptions.

13. Victek Win User

To be clear the first post says that Microsoft anonymizes the data it collects. It doesn't say it collects "anonymous usage data". In other words the implication is the collected data is not anonymous to begin with and Microsoft chooses to anonymize it afterward. Is that accurate? Personally I don't believe Microsoft cares about the personal details of my computer usage, but I can't prove it. And although Microsoft may not care there may be people who do, for instance the government. Can we definitively rule out the possibility that data can flow from corporations to the government? If we can't rule it out it's reasonable to think about how we feel about it. There's also the possibility of hackers stealing info from Microsoft. It's not paranoid to ask these questions. Normally I don't think or worry about any of this, but if we're going to look at it objectively I feel we have to acknowledge how little we really know. Cheers *Smile

Victek, Jan 9, 2016
  14. dencal Win User
    Yes its true M$ are targeting users of Bing, WHY? Advertising revenue, nothing sinister in that inasmuch that making a profit is not a sin.

Try this example...type in Cortana....surface pro 4....read up on it.....then open your e-mail provider or a newspaper....low and behold adverts offering the afore mentioned article appear by magic.

Each time you enquire about a product or service and click on a link using either Google or Bing adds monies to their account.

Bing hope to capitalise by offering nearby services and products through Cortana, assuming you allow (optional) your location to be established.

Nothing sordid or suspicious about that....its called capitalism.
    As for prying...they are only interested in making monetary gain for the company.

dencal, Jan 9, 2016
  15. Uilly Win User
    Kari

It was the usage of this notorious Joseph Goebbels phrase - "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".
    used in a recent comment about MS data collecting, that I was responding too.

Uilly, Jan 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing - Similar Threads - Revealed Crucial detail

2. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  3. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  4. New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed

in Windows 10 News
    New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed: In January, Microsoft confirmed that it’s working on a Google Discover-like news and weather feed for Windows 10 taskbar. This feature is currently available to testers in the Insider program and it would be optional, which means you can always hide it on the taskbar....
  5. Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft: Windows 10X is rumoured to be a modular and multi-device operating system that will compete against the likes of ChromeOS in the education niche. Based on last year’s announcement, it looks like Windows 10X is going to be a ‘hybrid’ OS, which means the operating system will...
  6. Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update: Windows 10 November 2019 Update codenamed ’19H2′ is not a big release and it comes with improvements only. The key highlights include a new search experience in File Explorer, performance improvements and longer battery life on some devices. Microsoft’s Spring 2019 Update...
  7. Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates: The next two Windows 10 updates “19H2” and “20H1” are set to arrive in November and Spring 2019 respectively. While Windows 10 19H2 (November 2019 Update) is a small update, 20H1 is expected to be a full-fledged update with new features and major improvements. If the...
  8. More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed

in Windows 10 News
    More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed: Windows 10 version 1909 (codenamed 19H2) was expected to land on October 2 and October 8 but now it appears that the update will be finalized later this month. Windows 10 version 1909, which is a minor feature update for Windows 10, could be finalized by the end of next week...
  9. Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS: Microsoft's long rumored dual-screen Andromeda phone may never see the light of day, but the related "Windows Core OS" project or WCOS, is still underway, and according to a job vacancy posted on LinkedIn, it's all about Windows 10 devices and drivers. The vacancy for a...
  10. Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details: Even though Microsoft is already working on a second major Windows 8.1 Update, most eyes are on the next full version of Windows, possibly called Windows 9, which could debut as soon as spring 2015. While no confirmed details are available right now [img] , people familiar...