Windows 10: Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

Discus and support Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I wear no tin foil hat and my systems have nothing anybody would want to waste the time gathering. But I do ponder a question. How did Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

I wear no tin foil hat and my systems have nothing anybody would want to waste the time gathering.

But I do ponder a question.
    How did Microsoft get to be 90% plug of the market share of PC's before they started gathering all this data.
    I'm guessing to some degree that the users of older Microsoft operating system chose those system and liked the fact they could also choose how the system worked. What it did when or do nothing if the owner operator chose to do nothing.

Their are users that choose not to install Windows Updates; which to me is a huge mistake but it is their computer, they can choose as they care to.
    The fact that one should be able to choose shouldn't be looked at lightly.
    Hiding the place and method of getting there to turn something off one doesn't want is not the proper method in my opinion.
    Things that can be turned on or off should be obvious and straight forward.

Do you want cream in your coffee? Yes or No.
    Here is some info on what cream in coffee does ect.

Do you want Cortana? Yes or No.
    Here is some info on Cortana to help you decide ect.

Layback Bear, Jan 10, 2016
  2. dencal Win User

Have looked extensively on the internet for your above Goebbels quote. (for personal reasons), nowhere could I find confirmation, only a collection of different words, then put together to make your above sentence.

Could you kindly supply confirmation Goebbels made this quote.

dencal, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Cliff S New Member
    Source: Nothing to hide argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The expose: The brass check, a study of American journalism

Another misconception, Goebbels*Redcarded*BangheadNOT!

Cliff S, Jan 10, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

dencal, Jan 10, 2016
  5. Cr00zng Win User
    Every systems, on or offline, collect information about you, that's just the nature of the businesses keeping track of their customers. You could not escape this data collection prior to computers and certainly cannot escape it now in the digital age. Technology just made this much more effective, easy to share, trade or sell to third-parties, etc...

Data brokers collect/trade/purchase data about everything and everybody. They don't do it for just to have this data, they perform data analysis about people/companies and the results are sold to interested parties. You might be familiar with "FICO" score, or your credit rating and have no issues with this scoring system. But you may not be familiar with your current/future employer might be using a company named Social Intelligence to screen job applicants. Similar data analysis company offer their report on individuals and companies, where evaluation criteria is different.

Facebook is actually getting in to the FICA score business, among other things:

Facebook friends may hurt you in getting a loan...

MS is in the position to collect much more accurate data based on their market share. They're not doing anything that is not "prior art", it's been done by other OS's, apps, browsers, etc. MS had no choice but to join in, if they want to remain relevant in the technology market. Anyone believing that it's only telemetry data that MS collects is naive, to say it mildly.

PS: Despite this, I do try to prevent data collection about me and my computer with very little success. No, I have nothing to hide, but buzz off...

Cr00zng, Jan 10, 2016
  6. gator2013 Win User
    Unfortunately I must agree with you on that point. Problem is, MS has 100% access to your device especially if running W-10. None of the other companies have that capability.

gator2013, Jan 10, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    Your above post could be summarised using three words......Marketing.....Making Money.

dencal, Jan 10, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

I guess we all should have clicked on 'Decline' instead of 'Accept' when the EULA came up!

Edwin, Jan 10, 2016
  9. Cr00zng Win User
    *-Emphasis mine...

I disagree... To begin with, MS has retro-fitted W7 and W8.x with "telemetry patches", under the "important updates" header. Most people didn't realize this and even the ones who did, it's too late if they need to remove it. The data has already been uploaded to MS servers.

Other OS's can and do similar "telemetry" collection, such as OSX, Chrome, Linux distroes, etc. Applications are another can of worm, they can collect data just as well as the OS can. All of the local installation of programs with optional/enforced cloed connection can and does collect user data. For example MS retro-fitted Office 2013 with "telemetry" data collection patches from Office 2016, Firefox versions later than 6.0.6 has mandatory cloud connector, etc.

So, no, it is not just Microsoft who does this, if anything Microsoft is late to the party. Their market share and the possible extent of their data collection will make up for being late...

Cr00zng, Jan 10, 2016
  10. Cr00zng Win User
    I was not aware that we'd need to limit our conversation to three words... *Roflmao2*Roflmao2

Cr00zng, Jan 10, 2016
  11. Nobody Win User
    A little to think about

Microsoft does not do anything special compared to any other.
    But people seems to love to hate Microsoft

Nobody, Jan 10, 2016
  12. dencal Win User
    Summarised means to add on at the end....to what I considered a good post.

dencal, Jan 10, 2016
  13. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing

These companies allow you to opt-out of targeted advertising, but it's hard to do. I opted out of Google's targeting, but am now getting all kinds of hotel ads on various websites, and a few in my e-mail, after making a Marriott reservation last week. It looks like Microsoft has picked up where Google left off. How do you opt-out of Microsoft's targeting?

AllenChicago, Jan 10, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Is it too late? What if I wax my partitions and do a clean install now? Can I decline then? Can I? Can I?*Roflmao2
    Is there a TF(Tin Foil NOT Ten Forums) version of the EULA? That might be an idea a TFEULA!!!

Cliff S, Jan 11, 2016
  15. I wasn't claiming that MS and/or W10 was involved in that incident.

It was a rebuttal to this statement, "You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide."
    It has never been an effective defence against tyrants, criminals and/or troublemakers.

For examples, see World history (1900 - present day) specifically:
    • WWI (and lead up to)
    • WWII (and lead up to)
    • Stalin
    • Mao Zedong (Mao Tse-tung)
    • Pol Pot
    • Rwanda
    • Syria
    • etc.
    Most of the people killed in those events (or by the order of the listed individuals) were doing "nothing wrong".

As for the Fort Lee Scandal link, everyone in that district was punished because of information about one person's decision (Fort Lee's Mayor Mark Sokolich (D) for not endorsing Christie in the 2013 gubernatorial election).
    No doubt most of the people in that area had "nothing to hide" and therefore had "nothing to fear".

People who voted for supported Christie were punished in exactly the same manner, as people who voted against were opposed to him.

I seriously doubt that MS has any interest in me or my activities.
    There are many others who are interested.
    Why do you think keyloggers and spyware exist?

The problem with MS doing what others (Apple, Facebook, Google, etc.) are doing is that it creates yet another data stockpile that criminals can hack in their ongoing ID theft campaigns.
    When your ID is used to commit fraud, who do you think the first person that the cops interview will be?

Also, as far as I'm aware, MS won't say where to find this data and how to check that it only contains what they claim.

Since some joker is bound to claim "that has nothing to do with IT", here are a couple of links:
    A significant number of users were inconvenienced by these incidents.

Your opinion of your comedic prowess greatly exceeds the reality of it.

lehnerus2000, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Revealed! Crucial detail that Windows 10 privacy critics are missing - Similar Threads - Revealed Crucial detail

2. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  3. windows 11 privacy settings notification details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 privacy settings notification details: I see notifications saying my privacy settings have blocked access to an app trying to access the camera or microphone on occasion, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell what app it is. I find nothing in Event Viewer, nothing in notification settings, nothing anywhere...
  4. New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed

in Windows 10 News
    New details of Windows 10’s upcoming taskbar feed feature revealed: In January, Microsoft confirmed that it’s working on a Google Discover-like news and weather feed for Windows 10 taskbar. This feature is currently available to testers in the Insider program and it would be optional, which means you can always hide it on the taskbar....
  5. Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10X update new details revealed by Microsoft: Windows 10X is rumoured to be a modular and multi-device operating system that will compete against the likes of ChromeOS in the education niche. Based on last year’s announcement, it looks like Windows 10X is going to be a ‘hybrid’ OS, which means the operating system will...
  6. Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of Windows 10 20H1 and 20H2 update: Windows 10 November 2019 Update codenamed ’19H2′ is not a big release and it comes with improvements only. The key highlights include a new search experience in File Explorer, performance improvements and longer battery life on some devices. Microsoft’s Spring 2019 Update...
  7. Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates

in Windows 10 News
    Leak reveal details of upcoming big Windows 10 feature updates: The next two Windows 10 updates “19H2” and “20H1” are set to arrive in November and Spring 2019 respectively. While Windows 10 19H2 (November 2019 Update) is a small update, 20H1 is expected to be a full-fledged update with new features and major improvements. If the...
  8. More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed

in Windows 10 News
    More details on Windows 10 version 1909 release date revealed: Windows 10 version 1909 (codenamed 19H2) was expected to land on October 2 and October 8 but now it appears that the update will be finalized later this month. Windows 10 version 1909, which is a minor feature update for Windows 10, could be finalized by the end of next week...
  9. Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS: Microsoft's long rumored dual-screen Andromeda phone may never see the light of day, but the related "Windows Core OS" project or WCOS, is still underway, and according to a job vacancy posted on LinkedIn, it's all about Windows 10 devices and drivers. The vacancy for a...
  10. Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details: Even though Microsoft is already working on a second major Windows 8.1 Update, most eyes are on the next full version of Windows, possibly called Windows 9, which could debut as soon as spring 2015. While no confirmed details are available right now [img] , people familiar...