Windows 10: Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack)

Discus and support Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, this one is a little complex. I hope I am able to explain properly. I recently "discovered" Robocopy, and one particular use of it that I hope I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ReyKenobi, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ReyKenobi Win User

Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack)

OK, this one is a little complex. I hope I am able to explain properly.

I recently "discovered" Robocopy, and one particular use of it that I hope I can further exploit. The command in question is:
    Code: robocopy {source} {destination} /e /create[/quote] What it does is create a copy of the source directory/drive in the destination directory/drive, but with zero-sized files. You can use Windows Explorer to search through the files just like normal files, perform cut-copy-paste operations on them, just like normal files, except these files are zero-size.

So, currently I use this to make a "zero-sized" copy of my external hard drives on my laptop's drive and use it as a kinda of index to search if and where I have what I am looking for on any of my external drives. It is useful if the need arises when I am not at home or at work, and also saves me the trouble of firing up the external drives for small searches often.

Now the meat of the query: I have an Unsorted folder in each of my External Drives where I dump files and then sort them to the intended location at a later time. Now, since Robocopy can also be used to sync files across source and destination directory/drives, it got me wondering if there is a way I can do the sorting on the "zero-sized" copy of the external files in my free time (like when I am traveling to and from work) and then sync this sorting to the actual respective external drives when I connect them to the laptop. This way I have more free time at home that can be spent with family and friends (and Netflix).

I hope I was able to explain correctly. I got a great reply to a seemingly complex query earlier which encouraged me to ask this here.

I am also open to any third party app or non-robocopy method that can achieve this, as long as I am not required to keep the full-sized backup of the External Drives on the laptop. It hasn't got that kinda space.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack) :)

:)

ReyKenobi, Nov 1, 2018
  2. garyfritz Win User

Good tools for syncing to another PC?

Yes, I figured someone would suggest that. But I often synced gigabytes of data back & forth, and I don't want to do that over a net connection. A one-step "sync home -> travel" operation (or reverse) is simple, and I don't have to worry about it syncing without my knowledge and maybe going the wrong direction. Maybe the Google/etc sync tools are smart enough for that to work transparently... not sure. I'm willing to be educated / convinced if that's really the best answer.

Didn't realize there WAS a pay version. I guess that's the "donation" option. I'll do that if I decide to use FFS.

garyfritz, Nov 1, 2018
  3. Robocopy - This App Can't run on this PC

Up until last night I was using robocopy to backup my files. This morning, when I try, I get the message "This app can't run on this PC.

I get the same message even when I type robocopy /?

I have re-started the machine and get the same message.

Has anyone any suggestions?

I have Windows10 64-bit on acer PC.

Richard654, Nov 1, 2018
  4. Wile E Win User

Handy OS X Tools and Apps

You should add VLC to that list. Plays most anything, except WMV/WMA.

And are we sticking to free tools? Cause I have suggestions for some that cost money, but are well worth it IMHO.

Wile E, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack) - Similar Threads - Reverse sync files

2. Robocopy failing on files in folder synced to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy failing on files in folder synced to OneDrive: Robocopy is failing on files in folder synced to OneDrive. I am getting this error New File 31338 C:\Clancy\A_Prime8\AA_FY23\Microsoft\Program - TerryClancy\Guides\MigratingCustomersFromXXXXToYYYY.docx 2023/05/10 10:59:51 ERROR 1 0x00000001 Copying File...
  3. Robocopy failing on files in folder synced to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy failing on files in folder synced to OneDrive: Robocopy is failing on files in folder synced to OneDrive. I am getting this error New File 31338 C:\Clancy\A_Prime8\AA_FY23\Microsoft\Program - TerryClancy\Guides\MigratingCustomersFromXXXXToYYYY.docx 2023/05/10 10:59:51 ERROR 1 0x00000001 Copying File...
  4. HACK TOOL used to ACTIVATE microsoft ILEGALLY!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HACK TOOL used to ACTIVATE microsoft ILEGALLY!: I think this is a concern for Microsoft. as a Microsoft user and a loyal fan of the community and the brand, I decided to share this information that I found out in a laptop and computer repair shop. I'm from Nepal. I bought a laptop here. and when I bought a laptop, I...
  5. HACK TOOL used to ACTIVATE microsoft ILEGALLY!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HACK TOOL used to ACTIVATE microsoft ILEGALLY!: I think this is a concern for Microsoft. as a Microsoft user and a loyal fan of the community and the brand, I decided to share this information that I found out in a laptop and computer repair shop. I'm from Nepal. I bought a laptop here. and when I bought a laptop, I...
  6. HACK TOOL used to ACTIVATE microsoft ILEGALLY!

7. Any tool to inspect other application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any tool to inspect other application: Hello people, is there any app for Windows 11 Compatible with this OS which can inspect through the apps? Like Browser have inspect element. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-tool-to-inspect-other-application/48ccfea5-20a0-4804-a762-cc65b3abf46b
  8. Any tool to inspect other application

Any tool to inspect other application: Hello people, is there any app for Windows 11 Compatible with this OS which can inspect through the apps? Like Browser have inspect element. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-tool-to-inspect-other-application/48ccfea5-20a0-4804-a762-cc65b3abf46b
  9. I can't remove any other accounts used by other apps

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't remove any other accounts used by other apps: How do I remove accounts used by other apps. These accounts were set up when I worked for other companies but I no longer use them and I can't get rid of them. Some apps I use have a logon default to one of these accounts I want to delete. When that happens I change the logon...
  10. Using RoboCopy

in Windows 10 Support
    Using RoboCopy: I'm trying to use RoboCopy to backup my data files to a USB stick and External HDD. I created a folder in each destination called DataBackup and run the following command. robocopy "d:\datafiles" "e:\databackup /e Problem is it doesn't copy to that folder. It simply...