Windows 10: Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack)

Discus and support Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, this one is a little complex. I hope I am able to explain properly. I recently "discovered" Robocopy, and one particular use of it that I hope I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ReyKenobi, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ReyKenobi Win User

Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack)

OK, this one is a little complex. I hope I am able to explain properly.

I recently "discovered" Robocopy, and one particular use of it that I hope I can further exploit. The command in question is:
    Code: robocopy {source} {destination} /e /create[/quote] What it does is create a copy of the source directory/drive in the destination directory/drive, but with zero-sized files. You can use Windows Explorer to search through the files just like normal files, perform cut-copy-paste operations on them, just like normal files, except these files are zero-size.

So, currently I use this to make a "zero-sized" copy of my external hard drives on my laptop's drive and use it as a kinda of index to search if and where I have what I am looking for on any of my external drives. It is useful if the need arises when I am not at home or at work, and also saves me the trouble of firing up the external drives for small searches often.

Now the meat of the query: I have an Unsorted folder in each of my External Drives where I dump files and then sort them to the intended location at a later time. Now, since Robocopy can also be used to sync files across source and destination directory/drives, it got me wondering if there is a way I can do the sorting on the "zero-sized" copy of the external files in my free time (like when I am traveling to and from work) and then sync this sorting to the actual respective external drives when I connect them to the laptop. This way I have more free time at home that can be spent with family and friends (and Netflix).

I hope I was able to explain correctly. I got a great reply to a seemingly complex query earlier which encouraged me to ask this here.

I am also open to any third party app or non-robocopy method that can achieve this, as long as I am not required to keep the full-sized backup of the External Drives on the laptop. It hasn't got that kinda space.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack) :)

:)

ReyKenobi, Nov 1, 2018
  2. garyfritz Win User

Good tools for syncing to another PC?

Yes, I figured someone would suggest that. But I often synced gigabytes of data back & forth, and I don't want to do that over a net connection. A one-step "sync home -> travel" operation (or reverse) is simple, and I don't have to worry about it syncing without my knowledge and maybe going the wrong direction. Maybe the Google/etc sync tools are smart enough for that to work transparently... not sure. I'm willing to be educated / convinced if that's really the best answer.

Didn't realize there WAS a pay version. I guess that's the "donation" option. I'll do that if I decide to use FFS.

garyfritz, Nov 1, 2018
  3. Richard654 Win User
    Robocopy - This App Can't run on this PC

Up until last night I was using robocopy to backup my files. This morning, when I try, I get the message "This app can't run on this PC.

I get the same message even when I type robocopy /?

I have re-started the machine and get the same message.

Has anyone any suggestions?

I have Windows10 64-bit on acer PC.

Richard654, Nov 1, 2018
  4. Wile E Win User

Handy OS X Tools and Apps

You should add VLC to that list. Plays most anything, except WMV/WMA.

And are we sticking to free tools? Cause I have suggestions for some that cost money, but are well worth it IMHO.

Wile E, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Reverse sync files using RoboCopy? (or any other tool/app/hack) - Similar Threads - Reverse sync files

2. Moving APP to another Drive "Delete other apps, to use this drive the other apps must be...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Moving APP to another Drive "Delete other apps, to use this drive the other apps must be...: I am trying to move a game form one drive to another. I have a lot of very important information on my other drive and don't want to delete anything. What other apps does it want to uninstall, is it safe to do so?...
  3. What back up app other than Free File Sync

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What back up app other than Free File Sync: Hi all I currently use Free File Sync to back up my music library to a 2nd laptop and also. NAS as I mainly use the laptop for djing. I wanted to ask your opinion on what I should use and whether using Free File Sync is an archaic way of doing things. Thing to bear in...
  4. Sync "Other Windows settings"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sync "Other Windows settings": Is there a detailed list of what is lumped under "Other Windows settings"? In particular, I would like to know if it stores changes made to the registry to hide certain "standard" directories/folders in File Explorer. But in general, it would be nice to have a list to...
  5. robocopy backup of important files

robocopy backup of important files: hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC. I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture...
  6. Best backup and sync tool

Best backup and sync tool: That was it! It was FAT32. I deleted the old image files x4, and re-formated that USB stick to NTFS, and created a new image on that. Now I have one backup image file. Thank you : ) Glad it worked out!
  7. Can't use any other browser than Edge.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't use any other browser than Edge.: Hey guys! everything was fine with windows 10 since the beginning , except since last week. I cant connect to the internet with chrome or any other application using the internet ( steam, league of legends etc). I did some research but couldn't find something that worked....
  8. Syncing files

in Windows 10 Support
    Syncing files: I have just copied all my files from google drive to one drive. In Windows 10, where should I copy them so as to have a master file that will automaticly sync them to the foregoing drives? 22112
  9. Using RoboCopy

in Windows 10 Support
    Using RoboCopy: I'm trying to use RoboCopy to backup my data files to a USB stick and External HDD. I created a folder in each destination called DataBackup and run the following command. robocopy "d:\datafiles" "e:\databackup /e Problem is it doesn't copy to that folder. It simply...
  10. Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools

in Windows 10 News
    Do not change Linux files using Windows apps and tools: There is one hard-and-fast rule when it comes to Bash on Windows: DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, create and/or modify Linux files using Windows apps, tools, scripts, consoles, etc. Creating/changing Linux files from Windows will likely result in data corruption...