Windows 10: Reversed function keys?

Discus and support Reversed function keys? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I press F2, F3 etc. the use seems to be 'toggled' wrongly. Only if I press the FN key first do I get the usual function (rename for F2 and so on).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by martinlest, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Reversed function keys?

When I press F2, F3 etc. the use seems to be 'toggled' wrongly. Only if I press the FN key first do I get the usual function (rename for F2 and so on). Otherwise, the screen gets brighter, or whatever..

I spent some time Googling this but the only 'solution' that seemed to work was to hold the FN key down for 10 seconds. That works for the first time you use a function key, but immediately afterwards the behaviour returns to how it was before.

Is there a setting somewhere or does anyone know of a fix that will return the F keys to their 'proper' use? (Why on earth have Windows changed this??)

Thank you,

Martin

:)

martinlest, Sep 27, 2018

2. Reversed Function Keys

Did you check every setting on the advanced tab?

Go to the support downloads web page for the PC model to download its manual and read about how to reverse the function keys if available.

Greg Carmack - MVP, Sep 27, 2018
  3. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Sep 27, 2018
  4. alexxai Win User

Reversed function keys?

Help! function FN keys behavior reversed

Hello,

I must have hit some combination of keys on my Nokia Booklet 3G because now the function keys operate as F1, F2, etc normally, and I have to hold the 'fn' key to use the music, volume, screen controls. It's not that big of a deal, but it's a little annoying
    and it's frustrating me that I can't turn it back to how it was. I've tried plugging in a USB keyboard and trying every combination of fn, numlk, scrllk, shift, ctrl, alt, you name it but nothing seems to reverse this behavior. Anyone have any ideas?

alexxai, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

Reversed function keys?

1. Reversed function keys? - Similar Threads - Reversed function keys

2. * and “ keys are reversed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    * and “ keys are reversed.: Hello,My * and “ keys are reversed. I am using Windows 10 Version 22H2 and a Logitech K380 keyboard multi device, Bluetooth. Date, time, region and language settings are all set to my location in the UK and English but this problem is still there. I have tried changing all...
  3. * and “ keys are reversed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    * and “ keys are reversed.: Hello,My * and “ keys are reversed. I am using Windows 10 Version 22H2 and a Logitech K380 keyboard multi device, Bluetooth. Date, time, region and language settings are all set to my location in the UK and English but this problem is still there. I have tried changing all...
  4. * and “ keys are reversed.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  6. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  7. FN keys reversed on itself

FN keys reversed on itself: Hi, just a few hours ago when I clicked on F2 I was getting my volume down but now I have to click on FN+F2 to do so. I read on the internet saying I need to enter the BIOS and I tried that but I did not have a configuration tab or Action key mode tab in my BIOS settings....
  8. reverse window key

reverse window key: when I installed the zoom app, it asked that I want to let it change the setting or something. I selected yes, then when press the window key, it doesn't show anything. wondering how I can reverse it?...
  9. windows 10 yoga 910 laptop Function Keys keep reversing every month.

windows 10 yoga 910 laptop Function Keys keep reversing every month.: I've already read many post over this, I know I need to go into bio to change it and I know how to change it, But I didn't go into bio to began with and I should not need to go into bio to change it back . My function key quit working about every three weeks I'm sure its...
  10. Reversed Function Keys

Reversed Function Keys: I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-C. Buttons like volume and brightness require the fn key to be used. I've went to the system settings and changed the function key to standard f1-f12 mode and it didn't work, and I haven't seen anything from 2018 or from my model about the...