Windows 10: Revert SystemData folder permissions

Discus and support Revert SystemData folder permissions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can someone please help me revert the SystemData folder permissions to default ones? C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData I took ownership of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stuffhappens, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Revert SystemData folder permissions

Can someone please help me revert the SystemData folder permissions to default ones?

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData

I took ownership of the folder and removed certain principals afterwards because I was not sure they were there by default. While removing them some errors popped up.

I attached a screenshot of the current state.

Does anyone at least know how should the default state look like? Who are the default principals?

Thanks.

:)

stuffhappens, Mar 28, 2020
  2. msadiq987 Win User

SystemData folder, Can't set this one as lock screen image

The issue still persists even after creating a new admin account. I only deleted the SystemData folder following steps to fix the grey loading screen problem from this post.
    However the SystemData folder did not recreate istelf and the registry key did not re-populate.

msadiq987, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Revert SystemData folder permissions

Understanding 'Access Denied' so that permissions can be reverted - icacls and takeown

• Before taking ownership of files and folders I would like to understand how to view the current permissions so that they may be reverted.
    • I am reciving an 'Access Denied' message to view or save permissions with elevated command prompt for location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData in Windows 10 enviroment.
    • It looks like that I may need to take ownership first, then can view the permissions, and use something like icacls 'reset' command to fix it afterwards.

If I try to view permissions:

If I try to save an ACL file:

In the answer to 'Understanding how to use Icals & Takeown' the owner of the folder was NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller which may infact may be a standard in Windows 10, though I am only guessing.

Should I just use takeown, and icals, find out the permissions and then use the reset command.

Likewise with the ACL, one would need to take ownership before creating, or is there a work around?

Reading:

Under A Tree, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Revert SystemData folder permissions

1. Revert SystemData folder permissions - Similar Threads - Revert SystemData folder

2. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to revert registry edit folder permissions: I accidentally changed permissions for authenticated users in the Policies Folder:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policiesand now all the windows apps are not working Settings, Security,Clipboard, etcpls help....
  3. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to revert registry edit folder permissions: I accidentally changed permissions for authenticated users in the Policies Folder:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policiesand now all the windows apps are not working Settings, Security,Clipboard, etcpls help....
  4. how to revert registry edit folder permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?: Just took ownership of WindowsApps folder by registry hack "Take Ownership" in right click menu and after exploring I want to revert the permission back to TrustedInstaller but I have no idea how....
  6. How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to revert the WindowsApps folder permission back to TrustedInstaller?: Just took ownership of WindowsApps folder by registry hack "Take Ownership" in right click menu and after exploring I want to revert the permission back to TrustedInstaller but I have no idea how....
  7. Folders corrupted/unreadable & permissions reverting back to read-only on folders (but not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders corrupted/unreadable & permissions reverting back to read-only on folders (but not...: Hi, so I've got this pesky issue. I use a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME SSD in an external enclosure on my main workstation and have it network shared to access the files on my laptop when needed. 2 days ago I had to visit a client for a business meeting and all my web projects...
  8. Revert the access permissions to another user's folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Revert the access permissions to another user's folder: Hi! I granted a non-admin user access permission to another non-admin user's folder. Now I finished transferring the files I needed to transfer, and I would like to revert those permissions to their original state. How can I do that? Thanks. submitted by /u/a_n_d_r_e_...
  9. Revert Permissions to all folders quickly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Revert Permissions to all folders quickly?: Windows 10 seems to have changed the permissions settings to all my files and folders - and I have lot of them (documents, photos, music etc). I must have at least 30 000 images stored as I'm a pro photographer and thousands of documents. I currently can't save or change...
  10. Folder on Documents & Picture permission keeps reverting back

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder on Documents & Picture permission keeps reverting back: What's wrong with this PC when using Windows 10? This is happens when I'm fresh boot like Shut Down & turn on again/restart the PC. Documents, Picture, Music, & all of them! They keep revert back to without my name & access it to Full Control! This is annoying! I can't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows systemapps repair folder rights

2. permissions for systemdata

3. how to revert back permission changes of a folder in windows 10