Windows 10: Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account

Discus and support Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft Team,Greetings from Holland! How are you doing today? I'm currently facing an issue what's really annoying. I have a desktop pc for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RezaJoemrati, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account

Dear Microsoft Team,Greetings from Holland! How are you doing today? I'm currently facing an issue what's really annoying. I have a desktop pc for which only one local account is used. I don't know what happened, but I assume that after a Windows Update the pc started to log in with a Microsoft account. There is a microsoft account used for register Office365 Personal. But I'm not using this account for logging in to the pc.What happens now is that Windows showing a default desktop. It shows also a dialog box with the message: Can't sign in to your account. I can choose between 'Sign off' or '

:)

RezaJoemrati, Sep 30, 2021
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account :(

Zakin, Sep 30, 2021
  3. CSMR(2) Win User
    Signing into Onenote app converts local account to microsoft account

Steps:

• Sign into a local account
    • Open the OneNote app (tablet not desktop app)
    • Sign in to this app with a Microsoft account
    The local account is then converted into a Microsoft account with that identity.

This is wrong and unexpected behaviour as no indication is given that the sign in is for the whole of windows rather than just OneNote.

It is also hard to revert.

I am guessing that other apps may exhibit the same behaviour.

In fact I don't understand how an app (which is supposed to be sandboxed and secure) can change user account information.

CSMR(2), Sep 30, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account

1. Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Revert local account

2. Revert a child account to a local account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Revert a child account to a local account in Windows 10: Hello folks, I'm in a bind here, hope some can help me.I decided to create a Microsoft account for my 9 year old to use in our Xbox. In all it's wisdom, Windows 10 decided to associate this limited child account to my local administrator account. Now my administrator account...
  3. Revert a child account to a local account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Revert a child account to a local account in Windows 10: Hello folks, I'm in a bind here, hope some can help me.I decided to create a Microsoft account for my 9 year old to use in our Xbox. In all it's wisdom, Windows 10 decided to associate this limited child account to my local administrator account. Now my administrator account...
  4. Cannot Sign in to Local Account after Reverting to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot Sign in to Local Account after Reverting to Windows 10: I tried Windows 11 on my Dell XPS, but things just weren't working right, to be brief. So, I chose the revert back to Windows 10 option. Good thing I backed up my data because, despite them saying it shouldn't cause any issues, it messed up my entire computer at the boot...
  5. Cannot Sign in to Local Account after Reverting to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Sign in to Local Account after Reverting to Windows 10: I tried Windows 11 on my Dell XPS, but things just weren't working right, to be brief. So, I chose the revert back to Windows 10 option. Good thing I backed up my data because, despite them saying it shouldn't cause any issues, it messed up my entire computer at the boot...
  6. Cannot Sign in to Local Account after Reverting to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account: What are the advantages of signing into my Win 10 PC using a Microsoft account versus I have been using a local account. What do I gain by using the Microsoft account?...
  8. Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...: So my little brother wanted to buy Minecraft for Windows 10. His computer was set up with a single local administrator account and remained local up to this point. The Store requires you to sign in to a Microsoft account to buy stuff, so I did that with his Microsoft account...
  9. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  10. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...