Windows 10: Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue

Discus and support Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; [img] I'm on Windows 10 and stuck with this message now for 2 weeks. Apple wants me to uninstall and reinstall. Microsoft opened up a ticket. Posted on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SoFine409, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Jimbo40 Win User

Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue

Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue [​IMG]
    I'm on Windows 10 and stuck with this message now for 2 weeks. Apple wants me to uninstall and reinstall. Microsoft opened up a ticket. Posted on the Microsoft forums and quite a few people uninstalled and reinstalled only to get additional errors.

Jimbo40, Sep 1, 2015

2. I can't even uninstall mine. I get that error when trying to uninstall or upgrade, as shown in my post above yours, too.

cotylee1991, Sep 1, 2015
  3. SoFine409 Win User
    I'm wondering if someone could try creating a new folder (C:\temp) and copying the msi file there then pointing the uninstaller to that folder? Maybe that would fix the problem with the unavailable network location.

i also found an article on the Apple Support site about this issue its at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3704. I'm not sure if the MS Unintall tool is available for download anymore but it's worth a try.

Update: the windows installer cleanup utility noted in the apple support article has been replaced with the following Fixit: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/pr..._and_uninstall.

SoFine409, Sep 1, 2015
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Another update: after thinking about this I think a fix might involve editing one or more regestry keys. As I recall when I had this problem one of the things I did was modify a registry key to point to the correct location for itunes6464.msi. Reverting from win 10 to win 7 left it pointing to the wrong folder. Later today when I have some time I'm going to look for some of the keys that might be the problem. I'll post the results later. One interesting thing I do remember is that when I reverted to win7 the iTunes icon on the desktop was a generic windows icon. Also the icon in the control panel remove/change programs applet was also generic. I think this is a strong indicator that something in the registry isn't right.

SoFine409, Sep 1, 2015
  5. Thanks for your input. I tried creating the C;\Temp folder and it didn't work after placing the file in the folder.

Aslo, the FixIt utility doesn't work for Windows 10.

cotylee1991, Sep 1, 2015
  6. SoFine409 Win User
    That's not good. I'll start looking at iTunes registry entries now and see what I can find and then get back. One question: did you upgrade to win 10 from win 7 or did you do a clean install?

SoFine409, Sep 1, 2015
  7. I upgraded through Windows Update from Windows 7.

I actually just downloaded Revo Uninstaller Pro, and chose "Force Uninstall" on iTunes, and deleted all traces of iTunes and all registry entries that iTunes left behind. I'm going to try and install iTunes fresh now, I'll let you all know if this fixes it too.

EDIT:
    I tried the fresh install, and ran into a new error shown below. I think I may just go back to Windows 7, Windows 10 is getting ridiculous.

EDIT 2:
    Back on Windows 7 now, still getting the same error when I try to install iTunes.

cotylee1991, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Joergi Win User

So going back really paid out. ;-)

When you run the iTunes installer, did you make sure that you have executed it with "Run as administrator" privileges? Admins can create new services - non-admins can't.

Joergi, Sep 1, 2015
  9. Yeah I tried running it as an Admin the second and third attempt.
    That's what's weird, I'm the Admin, I run as an Admin, and it says it can't create a new service.

cotylee1991, Sep 1, 2015
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    I'm wondering if you could fire up regedit and search for the key below and the values on the left:

This might be a way to force the windows installer to recognize the location of the msi file.

SoFine409, Sep 1, 2015
  11. I don't have a folder that starts with "477..." like you do.

cotylee1991, Sep 1, 2015
  12. SoFine409 Win User
    OK, it might be a different number for each PC. If you search within the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software" for "iTunes" and keep hitting the F3 key you will probably find it. It might be that you could add a new sub key that points to the correct folder where your msi is residing? That would be sweet if it works. BTW, as I remember I fixed my problem by editing (I believe) this key. Its hard to remember since I was trashing around so much trying to find a fix that worked. On two PCs no less!

If this doesn't work the only other thing I know to do is a clean install. If you can back up all of you data and have all of your application install media/keys then this would be the way to go.

Apple has known about these issues since at least 2005 and has done nothing to help users. It even happens on Macs.

SoFine409, Sep 1, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

Another way is the use the registry cleaner function in CCleaner. Just scan for issues, don't do fix selected issues - it will tell you all registry keys where the path doesn't exist. Then you can either create this path manually or update the registry key to where you put the .msi

14. Joergi Win User
    If I understood you correctly, the problem is that you are missing this msi file. You need that file and your problem is basically solved. Why do you have to modify the registry now? If you have that file, put it in the right location, inside the folder C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\iTunes 12.x.x.xx\ and the setup should be working!

Joergi, Sep 1, 2015
  15. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi Joergi,
    I think he has the file its just that the uninstaller/installer is giving him the message that the location is not accessible even thought he can clearly see the file and folder in windows explorer. I suspect that one of the registry keys related to the msi file needs to be corrected.

SoFine409, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Revert to Win7 iTunes .msi issue - Similar Threads - Revert Win7 iTunes

2. iTunes: Running 12.5.3.17 on Win7; Must move to Win10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    iTunes: Running 12.5.3.17 on Win7; Must move to Win10.: I'm running iTunes 12.5.3.17 on Win7. I need to move it to new computer running Win10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/itunes-running-125317-on-win7-must-move-to-win10/49492577-bd1e-4ecb-9292-fc28a0b51683
  3. iTunes issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    iTunes issues: I have uninstalled iTunes several times and re-installed, but when I try to open it, I keep getting a box thast says the previous version of iTunes needs to be uninstalled. It tries to uninstall it but never completes....
  4. iTunes issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    iTunes issues: I have uninstalled iTunes several times and re-installed, but when I try to open it, I keep getting a box thast says the previous version of iTunes needs to be uninstalled. It tries to uninstall it but never completes....
  5. iTunes issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. msi issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    msi issues: i am trying to install epic games launcher however after downloading the file for the installer and clicking on it i am asked to choose how i want to open the msi.file and nothing on my computer is opening it. i looked it up and from what i understand windows installer is...
  7. Win10 reverted back to Win7

Win10 reverted back to Win7: A few years ago, I redeemed the free Win10 offer and upgraded my computer. Previously, I was using Win7 I believe the previous Win7 installation was kept on a petition on one of my internal hard drives, whilst the new Win10 installation was kept on my SSD. Just today,...
  8. iTunes issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    iTunes issue: iTune stays only on the Taskbar. When I click on the icon, it opens the song list in a minimum view so it is even impossible for me to select the track. Everything worked fine a few days ago. I cannot figure out what caused this issue. Thank you in advance...
  9. revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7

revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7: This is essentially a FYI post. I recently decided to upgrade from my Win7 pro to Win10 pro because I got an announcement that one of my programs (TurboTax) would not install or run on Win7 next year. I did this using some links / tutorials in this forum. They were pretty...
  10. Reverted From Win10 to Win7, Can't Login

Reverted From Win10 to Win7, Can't Login: I have an Alienware 14 laptop and accidentally reset it using Alienware Respawn. My laptop has been using Windows 10 since the free release, prior to that, Windows 7. Upon reset, it booted up to Windows 7, but I cannot login due to the 'remote procedure call' failing or the...