Windows 10: Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days

Discus and support Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've read conflicting accounts as to whether it's possible or not to revert back to the original OS after 30 days. When I upgraded, I wasn't aware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WightWalker, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days

I've read conflicting accounts as to whether it's possible or not to revert back to the original OS after 30 days.

When I upgraded, I wasn't aware that there was any time limit on when you could do this - Microsoft kept that quiet if that is the case.

I have my main OS, currently Windows 10, on SSD, Windows 10 build 10240 on HD & Windows 7 Pro on HD.

The SSD build was initially an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro, then a clean install. Apart from a complete failure to boot after a couple of days requiring a restore from a Macrium image, it appears to work fine most of the time but there are instances when it is really slow, particularly when doing multiple downloads across the internet. By slow, I mean that there is a considerable time lag when typing text & it appearing on the screen, selecting a folder with the mouse, creating a sub-folder & naming it takes a long time - it simply feels like using an old 286 processor!

The Windows 10 build 10240 will eventually be deleted & hasn't knowingly suffered from slow performance.

The Windows 7 Pro on HD I would still like to keep as a backup which was used to restore the Macrium image on the SSD when it disastrously failed.

With 2 days remaining before my 30 days are up, do I play safe & revert back to Windows 7 Pro on SSD.

Or will I be able to restore the Macrium image of Windows 7 Pro that I took on SSD before the upgrade after the 30 days

:)

WightWalker, Aug 26, 2015

2. Cursor jumping all over the place on desktop

Thanks, only problem now is that lenovo does not have a touchpad driver for windows 10, only 8.1, 8, and 7 for the ideapad S400 touch. Think that I am past my 30 days to revert back to 8.1.

The Bald One, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Reverting back to Windows 8.1 after 30 days

No, the files need to "rollback" are automatically deleted by default after 30 days.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days

I'm 99% sure the 30 days limit is just a reference to when an upgraded system will automatically purge the backup it creates for your old system (that Windows.old folder). Microsoft would run into all sorts of legal trouble if they started deactivating Windows 7/8.1 licenses that have taken the Windows 10 upgrade. You should be fine.

xtcrefugee, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Ditto, the 30 day limit is on the rollback feature. The windows.old gets deleted due to a scheduled maintenance task after 30 days. Once the windows.old is gone rollback won't work. There is nothing stopping you from restoring your previous OS through other means though. Restore an image, reinstall, etc.

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2015
  6. Thanks

WightWalker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days

1. Reverting back to Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) after 30 Days - Similar Threads - Reverting Days

2. My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...: 1. I have tried 2 CD drives and get the same problem2. This is an external CD drive3. This happens after 2-3 days with or without new programs and updates.4. The CD drive does not show up on the computer at all and running the device search shows nothing.5. The CD drive is...
  3. My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...: 1. I have tried 2 CD drives and get the same problem2. This is an external CD drive3. This happens after 2-3 days with or without new programs and updates.4. The CD drive does not show up on the computer at all and running the device search shows nothing.5. The CD drive is...
  4. Options to revert from Windows 11 to Windows 10 after 10-day period?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Options to revert from Windows 11 to Windows 10 after 10-day period?: Hello everyone,I recently upgraded to Windows 11, but I find myself feeling uncomfortable with the new interface and features. Unfortunately, it's been over 10 days since the upgrade, so I can't use the built-in option to revert back to Windows 10.Are there any alternative...
  5. Options to revert from Windows 11 to Windows 10 after 10-day period?

Options to revert from Windows 11 to Windows 10 after 10-day period?: Hello everyone,I recently upgraded to Windows 11, but I find myself feeling uncomfortable with the new interface and features. Unfortunately, it's been over 10 days since the upgrade, so I can't use the built-in option to revert back to Windows 10.Are there any alternative...
  6. Windows PC Reverts to Data from Two Days Ago After Restart or Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows PC Reverts to Data from Two Days Ago After Restart or Blue Screen: Hello, I'm experiencing an issue with my Windows PC. Whenever I restart or encounter a blue screen, my PC reverts back to data from two days ago, and deleted files reappear. How can I fix this?...
  7. Windows PC Reverts to Data from Two Days Ago After Restart or Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows PC Reverts to Data from Two Days Ago After Restart or Blue Screen: Hello, I'm experiencing an issue with my Windows PC. Whenever I restart or encounter a blue screen, my PC reverts back to data from two days ago, and deleted files reappear. How can I fix this?...
  8. Windows PC Reverts to Data from Two Days Ago After Restart or Blue Screen

9. Can I revert to windows 10 from windows 11 within 10 days for a second time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I revert to windows 10 from windows 11 within 10 days for a second time?: I had tried windows 11 and reverted back to windows 10 within 10 days without any issues. Installed a new printer and needed tech support who accesed my screen. In the process of trying to fix the printer he clicked upgrade to windows 11. My PC is now asking to restart to...
  10. Can I revert to windows 10 from windows 11 within 10 days for a second time?

Can I revert to windows 10 from windows 11 within 10 days for a second time?: I had tried windows 11 and reverted back to windows 10 within 10 days without any issues. Installed a new printer and needed tech support who accesed my screen. In the process of trying to fix the printer he clicked upgrade to windows 11. My PC is now asking to restart to...