Windows 10: Reverting to Windows 7 for Dell Laptop

Discus and support Reverting to Windows 7 for Dell Laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell Latitude E6520 which came with Win 7 Pro OA installed. I upgraded to Windows 10 when prompted to do so by the Windows pop-up last Autumn.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Devaraj 2, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Devaraj 2 Win User

Reverting to Windows 7 for Dell Laptop

I have a Dell Latitude E6520 which came with Win 7 Pro OA installed. I upgraded to Windows 10 when prompted to do so by the Windows pop-up last Autumn.

It worked pretty well for a while but there are ongoing issues with sound and with iTunes and I need these for my work so I would like to just go back to Win 7, even though more than 1 month has passed.

I tried to download the Win 7 iso to help do this, but when I tried from the Windows iso site (at Windows 7) I got the error message "The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

I did contact Dell support but they say I would have to buy a Win7 CD from them at some cost.

Is this really necessary? I just want to revert to Win 7.

Regards
    Dev

:)

Devaraj 2, Jan 25, 2016
  2. CEasey Win User

Why is there no official fix for error 651 connecting to internet when installing Windows 10

I have a Dell E6400 laptop and had to revert Windows 10 back to Windows 7 because there is no fix for this error. Dell is not providing an updated driver for older laptops and has not tested older laptops with Windows 10. This will mean this error will essentially
    prevent certain laptop from getting on the Internet. What good is the Windows 10 upgrade if the Internet is not available?

Is Microsoft going to provide a generic driver to address this problem on older laptops?

CEasey, Jan 25, 2016
  3. CEasey Win User
    Internet connection

I have a Dell E6400 laptop and had to revert Windows 10 back to Windows 7 because there is no fix for this error. Dell is not providing an updated driver for older laptops and has not tested older laptops with Windows 10. This will mean this error will essentially
    prevent certain laptop from getting on the Internet. What good is the Windows 10 upgrade if the Internet is not available?

Is Microsoft going to provide a generic driver to address this problem on older laptops?

CEasey, Jan 25, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Dev and welcome to Ten Forums!

The response you got from Dell is disappointing. A factory installed OS usually has a special partition reserved for reinstallation of the OS. If this is still present ( and there is no reason why it should not be) you ought be able to get back to where you were using a recovery disk or some other procedure that Dell should be able to provide.

Disk Management (right click on your start button) should show what partitions you have on the hard disk.

philc43, Jan 25, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    You have already found that out and I am here just to elaborate to you and to anyone who come across with this thread..........................

The link to install Win 7 ISO file is good ONLY for users who have the RETAIL versions of Win 7.
    Pre-install Win 7 are excluded. That is why Devaraj's product key was rejected.

davidhk, Jan 25, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    Have you thought about doing a clean install of Windows 10? It does often clear any issues people have. Going from Windows 7 to 10 has caused more issues than going from Windows 8.

swarfega, Jan 25, 2016
  7. Devaraj 2 Win User
    Thank you! Well, Dell Support did mention about the partition but they said I would have needed to have made a recovery disk or something similar prior to upgrading to Win10, something I didn't do.

I looked at Disk Management, as you suggested, and there does seem to be 100Mb allocated to System Reserved. Can I make use of this?

Dev

Devaraj 2, Jan 25, 2016
  8. Devaraj 2 Win User

I did think of that, thanks. I actually did that with a different laptop I had and it did clear a lot but the mic and sound issues still remained and I haven't had much luck with that. So, I'd kind of developed the idea that it would be better to just go right back to Win7, which did do everything I needed, and didn't let me down at crucial times.

Devaraj 2, Jan 25, 2016
  9. Porthos Win User
    Porthos, Jan 25, 2016
  10. Devaraj 2 Win User
    Good to hear from someone with the same laptop! Can I ask... do you use the Windows version of iTunes? I need this for my work and it is now regularly having dramas. I did use the Dell support site to do upgrades but these have not thus far helped.

Devaraj 2, Jan 25, 2016
  11. philc43 Win User
    Hi Dev,

Without your W7 recovery disk you are probably going to be stuck. The DELL recovery partition does not always have all the system files necessary to reinstall W7 although sometimes it they were known to put a system image there but this would be rather large (around 4GB). The System partition you referred to is more likely to be the one W10 installed. A recovery partition would be larger and probably called recovery or reserved.

I also support the other posters who have said a clean install of W10 can be beneficial. I recently upgraded an old DELL latitude D630 which DELL does not even support for W10 and this has clean installed beautifully with W10 64bit after I did a BIOS upgrade and I have to say it is running better than ever it did on XP.

philc43, Jan 25, 2016
  12. Porthos Win User
    I personally do not use "I" anything but I think there would be more complaints about I Tunes and 10 around the web.

Porthos, Jan 25, 2016
  13. bobkn Win User

Just out of curiosity, what would Dell charge for the DVD?

It may be the best way to go back, considering the circumstances.

A few years ago, I followed an online recipe to install XP on a laptop with an SLI BIOS code. I suppose that something similar may exist for newer versions of Windows, with newer bulk licensing schemes.

bobkn, Jan 25, 2016
  14. Devaraj 2 Win User
    OK, thanks. I'm heartened by the fact that you've used the same laptop with Win10. I think i'll go for a new Win10 install and then take it from there. I'll check out for Dell system upgrades after reinstalling.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Devaraj 2, Jan 25, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    You can get iso from here. If you have an adblocker, turn it off to support the guy providing a great service. These isos are legit ie no malware.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Reverting to Windows 7 for Dell Laptop - Similar Threads - Reverting Dell Laptop

2. Reverting back to windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting back to windows 7: A mistake about 20 months ago upgraded windows 7 to windows 10. My laptop was not built for windows 10 and as a result makes everything run at a snails pace. Is there anyway i can revert back to windows 7 please?...
  3. Reverting back to windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverting back to windows 7: A mistake about 20 months ago upgraded windows 7 to windows 10. My laptop was not built for windows 10 and as a result makes everything run at a snails pace. Is there anyway i can revert back to windows 7 please?...
  4. Reverting back to windows 7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Reverting to Windows 7 in 2020

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reverting to Windows 7 in 2020: Hello, I want to upgrade to Windows 10 today. If I would've upgraded to Windows 10 today could I revert back to Windows 7 today? Thank you. submitted by /u/teodo334 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g2j5b6/reverting_to_windows_7_in_2020/
  6. Reverting to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reverting to Windows 7: I need to revert my laptop back to Windows 7 unfortunately the laptop has been handed down a couple of times and so the original disc has long been lost. I have tried downloading the ISO from the Microsoft software download page however the website returns an error message...
  7. UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10: I have a dell laptop that I'm attempting to change the UAC settings on. I have logged in as both a machine admin and a domain admin, changed the setting for UAC to notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer. Then did a reboot. The settings held fine for...
  8. Windows 10 revert to 7?

Windows 10 revert to 7?: I had windows 8.1 it was kinda messed up so i upraded to 10 even tho i regret it. now when i look at the revert option it shows windows 7 and not 8.1 i have never had windows 7 on this comp since the drivers made for the comp are for 8. im guessing if i tried the reset to...
  9. Revert to Windows 7

Revert to Windows 7: Upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago, fine except 2 progs I use won't work in WIndows 10, plus one is no longer supported. Since I still have the Windows.old folder, and within the 4 week option I should be able to restore Windows 7. However within Settings/Recovery where I...
  10. Reverted Back to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Reverted Back to Windows 7: Sadly I have reverted back to Windows 7 for the time being due to a number of issues i have faced with Windows 10. It is an amazing OS yes, but it is not stable yet in terms of performance. I shall upgrade back after Threshold 2 releases i.e in November or December. Some of...