Windows 10: Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows

Discus and support Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I reviewed Quicklook, a free portable and open source program for Microsoft's Windows operating system back in 2017 when the program was first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 8, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows

I reviewed Quicklook, a free portable and open source program for Microsoft's Windows operating system back in 2017 when the program was first released. The program brings the quick preview functionality known from Mac OS systems to Windows; all you have to do is tap on the Space key while a file is selected to preview it, provided that its file type is supported.

Previewing worked really well back then already, and the main point of criticism I had back then was that it tended to consume a lot of memory and CPU while in use.

Tip: Quicklook is not the only program of its kind, you may also want to check out Seer, which offers similar functionality.

Four years later, it is time to take another look at Quicklook. The program has matured a lot, jumped from version 0.3 that I reviewed in 2017 to version 3.6.11. Have the CPU and memory usage issues been improved? What about new features and other improvements? Let's find out.

Revisiting Quicklook

Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows quicklook-image-preview.jpg

Quicklook is still open source, and you can download it from the project's GitHub page as a MSI installer or a portable program. A Windows Store application is also available.

The main feature that is provided by the application has not changed: select a file on your system and tap on the Space-bar to preview it. The preview feature works well with several file types out of the box including images and text files.

The application opens its own preview window when you invoke it using the shortcut. Several shortcuts are available, including using the mouse or the arrow keys to navigate to other files in the same directory, using Enter to launch the file in the default viewer/program, using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, or decrease the volume. Another tap on Space closes the preview window again.

One of the main changes is that QuickLook uses Microsoft Edge's WebView2 now (instead of Internet Explorer), and that support for use on multi-monitor systems with different monitor DPI settings has improved.

Plugins are available to add support for additional file types, including an Office plugin to preview Office documents without Office installed, an EPUB and font viewer, and an APK viewer to preview Android packages.

It may take a moment before files are opened in the preview window. Things may be different on fast systems but on a Surface Go test system, the delay was noticeable and not as fast as it could be.

Memory and CPU usage appears to have been improved, as memory usage hovered usually around the 100 Megabytes mark and not the 350 Megabytes mark experienced in 2017.

• Support for long file paths (longer than 255 characters)
    • New file types supported out of the box, e.g. EMF and WMF vector image formats, aif and m4r formats.
    • Videos can be looped.
    • dark theme support.
    • New Ctrl-F option to display a search bar when previewing text documents.
    Closing Words

Quicklook has matured a lot since our last review. The author added support for plugins to the application to extend its functionality, tamed memory and CPU usage, migrated to the newer WebView2, and improved the overall usability in other areas, e.g. on multi-monitor systems, as well.

Now You: do you use file preview tools or options on your devices? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 8, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Pembo210 Win User
    mac files

Correct. HFS+ will not work on windows, unless you purchase extra software.

If you want the external drive to work on Windows and Mac AND also allow files larger than 4GB, then you need to format as NTFS from a Windows machine and run a program from your Mac like Macfuse or NTFS-3G to read the NTFS file system.

The other option is to format in HFS+ (mac) and buy a program called MacDrive that allows Windows computers to read Mac formatted drives. I think it's like $50.

That's pretty much all I can remember from my Mac days. I haven't used one in a couple years.

Pembo210, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows

Previewing files

Hello DE906,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • What is the PDF viewer that you're using?

Meanwhile, if you're using Adobe Acrobat; I'd recommend performing the steps in this
    article
    to enable thumbnail preview of PDF's in Windows Explorer.

Also, you can check this article
    for the .docx issue.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows

1. Revisiting Quicklock, a Mac-like file previewer for Windows - Similar Threads - Revisiting Quicklock Mac

2. AnyTech Revisited

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AnyTech Revisited: I read the long thread about Anytech 365 from last year, and wondered if there's any new developments. I believe I may have talked to them when I called up about a question I had with IOBit, but I did not sign up for their services. In spite of that, I just received an email...
  3. AnyTech Revisited

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AnyTech Revisited: I read the long thread about Anytech 365 from last year, and wondered if there's any new developments. I believe I may have talked to them when I called up about a question I had with IOBit, but I did not sign up for their services. In spite of that, I just received an email...
  4. AnyTech Revisited

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows 11 Windows File Explorer Issue - revisited

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Windows File Explorer Issue - revisited: I have been following the now locked thread entitled "Windows 11 Windows File Explorer Issue" relating to the fact that Windows 11 Explorer takes ages to display most directories and just shows "Working on it".If anyone is still having the problem, I have found that using an...
  6. Windows 11 Windows File Explorer Issue - revisited

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Windows File Explorer Issue - revisited: I have been following the now locked thread entitled "Windows 11 Windows File Explorer Issue" relating to the fact that Windows 11 Explorer takes ages to display most directories and just shows "Working on it".If anyone is still having the problem, I have found that using an...
  7. Can Windows Search preview files like it does webpages.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can Windows Search preview files like it does webpages.: Before I disabled it I noticed bing web searches have previews when using the default windows search. Can this be enabled for documents? Both RTF and MD preview in explorer (MD is enabled with PowerToys). cheers. bonus question, can I set the default search to be for...
  8. When will windows be able to finally preview ALL file types for software installed like a MAC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When will windows be able to finally preview ALL file types for software installed like a MAC?: I can preview almost any file type from Adobe on a Mac. No chance on a PC. I can open preview of a file with a spacebar on a Mac. No chance on a PC. Come on Microsoft... sort it out....
  9. Revisit Activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Revisit Activation: I need some advice. I did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Home the day it came out. Went like clockwork (thanks to the info in this forum). It activated after a few hours and was running fine. A week later I thought it was time to do a clean install. At the first...
  10. Long File names in Build 1607 revisited

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File names in Build 1607 revisited: Hi there On a re-check with the long file names issue it seems by using the registry fix some programs can use them. File explorer perversely won't accept them which is a bit odd as that's probably the place most users will encouty the problem when copying / moving...