Windows 10: Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate

Discus and support Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, clan. Normally, my laptop is very quiet, but lately, it's taken to bouts of "revving." This revving ("whirring"?) might last fifteen minutes,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BrooksNYC, Oct 10, 2019.

1. BrooksNYC Win User

Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate

Hello, clan.

Normally, my laptop is very quiet, but lately, it's taken to bouts of "revving." This revving ("whirring"?) might last fifteen minutes, or it might last an hour, but it reminds me of a jet readying for takeoff. I've no idea what triggers the revving, or what causes it to stop.

Not sure if it's a symptom or a cause, but when the revving starts, this hi-jinx shows up in Task Manager:

Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate Fnx8I1m.png

COM Surrogate, according to a search, may be virus-related—or not. I've run multiple scans with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, and nothing turns up. Anyone familiar with COM Surrogate problems? A few times, I've right-clicked on it and chosen "End task," but it pops back up, snarling.

I should also mention that when my system is quiet, there are only two instances of COM Surrogate running in Task Manager. The third instance, when it appears, is associated with a revving episode.

Not to be a pill, but Windows 10 has given me more headaches in seven months than I had in six years of Windows 7. Like a mean drunk, Windows 10 is always on the verge of a tantrum.

Thanks for your help.
    Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate tb1EFYR.gif

Brooks

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT
    : Just found this.

Apparently, COM Surrogate means to be helpful. However, I'm still uneasy with the revving on my machine. It's so noisy that I can't help but feel that whatever is running in the background shouldn't be running at all.

Windows 10 Pro x64
    Version 1903 (Build 18362.356)

:)

BrooksNYC, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Error Message: COM Surrogate has stopped working

Hi Bernard,

COM Surrogate is a process in Windows 10 that is in charge of showing thumbnails and similar information. Issues with COM Surrogate
    is probably caused by MacType or codecs and other COM components installed by various software, like some versions of DivX or Nero.

We would like to know some information to better assist you:

• Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What specific activity are you doing when the error message come up?
    • What specific troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? for us to know what troubleshooting steps we can provide next.

Please check the details of the errors using the steps below and provide us with a screenshot:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type View all, then click on View all problem reports Control panel.
    • Right-click on a few of the "COM Surrogate", "Stopped working" errors.
    • View technical details.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Oct 10, 2019
  3. COM Surrogate

Hi,

To better address your concern, kindly refer to the support article below:

For more information about COM Surrogate, visit this
    link

Let us know if you need further help.

Best regards.

Jeraldine Ase, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate

I have neither COM Surrogate in TASK MGR nor DLL files...

I have the same thing,COM surrogate and dll not listed,weird that some people have it and others don't. I turned off 'Always show icons never thumbnails' as someone said this may help but it didn't.

sea skimmer, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate

1. Revving episodes, and COM Surrogate - Similar Threads - Revving episodes COM

2. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate: My english is not very good i hope you dont mind, anyways i have this problem where COM Surrogate is using about 90% of my GPU, I can close is however it appears again, and when i delete it it appears in C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\ac2c2914-db85-ba9a-1a65-a8cafbdf3a8c, it...
  3. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate: I have been receiving the following error quite frequently, especially when I run disk cleanup. "COM Surrogate has stopped working". I have Windows 8.1 Pro. Can anyone advise me what this error represents and if I should be concerned about it?...
  4. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Is it bad that I have three COM Surrogate showing up on Task Manager? Someone said its a virus. I also have Antivirus called BitDefender please someone help this is only new laptop, I dont want viruses!...
  5. COM Surrogate

COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  6. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Customization
    COM Surrogate: A Window that keeps popping up once a day called COM Surrogate in Task Manager and its really starting to annoy me. The window says "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create...
  7. COM Surrogate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    COM Surrogate?: I downloaded a JPG file and resized it, I have done this a million times. After saving it ballooned to 300MB and would not let me upload to the site I usually do, go to delete the file and it says cannot delete file because of COM surrogate. I stopped COM surrogate and then...
  8. COM surrogate

COM surrogate: I logged on this morning and CMD automatically opened. I became concerned because nothing like this usually happens, so i opened task manager after researching reasons why this may occur and discovering that it may be caused by malware. i saw that a couple programs labelled...
  9. Com Surrogate

Com Surrogate: Hi! This days my computer shows a window that I never saw before about COM Surrogate. It says Windows Security in the name bar above but I don't thrust. What it is? It's a virus?...
  10. COM Surrogate

in Windows 10 Support
    COM Surrogate: I'm trying to delete a file or remove personal picture information from a *.jpg, but I'm told that "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate." What is going on? 31943