Windows 10: Ridiculous Google backup and sync times

Discus and support Ridiculous Google backup and sync times in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So i got a new laptop and i wanted to back up my Google drive to it like i do on my desktop. Simple task, it's almost 300gb, but I'm on gigabit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vaeevictiss, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Ridiculous Google backup and sync times

So i got a new laptop and i wanted to back up my Google drive to it like i do on my desktop. Simple task, it's almost 300gb, but I'm on gigabit internet... Nope.

I decided to make it easy and copy it directly from my desktop to my laptop then just sync it so it's all tied together. Well i did that and it's been like 12 hours now that it's still syncing.

What the hell is it syncing?! Everything on my drive is already on my laptop and vice versa.

submitted by /u/Vaeevictiss
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vaeevictiss, Dec 26, 2020

2. Unable to sign in to Google Backup and Sync

Hello,
    I am having trouble logging in Google Backup and Sync on one particular Windows 10 PC in my house.
    It started around the April updates.
    All my other PCs could log in to Backup and Sync without problem, but my main PC cannot.
    I tried many methods (registry cleanup, firewall, antivirus, etc.) and even using the ISO to reinstall Windows 10 (still keeping my apps and files) but I still get an "Error Something went wrong. Your account might not have been added" message when I tried to log in on the first step for Backup and Sync after reinstalling the software. When tried to log in with a browser, after all the steps the browser got stuck on a blank page without anyway to proceed.
    I sought support from the Google Drive forum, but the suggestions they gave still did not solve my problem, and then they just gave up. I wonder if anyone here could help me?

Here is the error message (the next button was unresponsive): Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    I checked the log generated by Backup and Sync, and I noticed an error at the end and not sure if it is related: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here is the post I made on the Google Drive forum: https://productforums.google.com/for...ve/N3ZwAB6-R_c

Thank you

aoironowind, Dec 26, 2020
  3. gsindela Win User
    After new case install: Google Backup and Sync constantly syncing

I found this on the interweb. Quite complex. I'll have to sort through it...

When a new photo that has never been uploaded is synchronized with the Backup & Sync application, the file is saved to Cloud Server and the thumbnail linked to that file is displayed in Google Photos and Drive's My Computer folder.

When photo files uploaded from mobile phones or browsers exist in PC and Google Photos, what will happen if they are synchronized with Backup & Sync application?

If the PC's photo file is found on Cloud Server, it will be added to the sync completion list and it will no longer be processed.

However, thumbnails of photos uploaded from mobile phones or browsers are not displayed in the My Computer folder on Google Drive, so thumbnails need to be filled.

The fact that the inside of My Computer on Google Drive is in the same state as the folder of the PC means that synchronization is completed for Backup & Sync.

If Backup & Sync fills thumbnails in My Computer and adds that file to the sync complete list, Backup & Sync does not sync after the next time.

The problem is that there are files that can not be added to this sync complete list.

This problem occurs under the following setting conditions.

◆ File type to Upload ⇒ Photos and Videos

◆ Upload size (High / Original) ⇒ unrelated

◆ Upload to Photos (on / off) ⇒ unrelated

[Case 1]

When Google Photos folder is created in Google Drive

Photos uploaded with mobile, browser, old version desktop uploader "Google Photos Backup" can be displayed in folders created in My Drive on Google Drive. (This is an optional setting)

These thumbnails are just links and not entity files, so the file size on My Drive is 0 bytes.

For photos uploaded with Backup & Sync, thumbnails are created in Google Drive's My Computer folder and the file size is 0 bytes.

Photos with thumbnails in the Google Photos folder on My Drive can not appear in folders of My Computer.

Apparently, it seems to avoid having duplicate thumbnails of the same photos on Google Drive. Therefore, the application can not add the photo file to the sync completion list.

[Case 2]

When the same photo file is duplicated on the PC side

On Windows, hash values are the same even for copy files whose names have been changed. Google Photos does not accept files judged as the same photo.

Note that this is the same even if you upload it manually via the browser (described later)

[Case 3]

When a photo file exists in Google Drive

Before reading your question, I already found cases 1 and 2.

This time, I read your question, I thought well and verified it.

Apparently it looks like Google Drive = Cloud Server = Google Photos, Backup & Sync determines that the PC's photo file is on Cloud Server and does not upload it to Google Photos.

Besides, we can not fill the folder in My Computer of Google Drive.

It appears that the system avoids placing two identical photos on Google Drive.

Therefore, the application can not add the photo file to the synchronization completion list.

▼ Corrective action

As mentioned earlier, the application can not add that photo file to the sync completion list, so the scan and skip are repeated each time backup & sync start up.

[Case 1]

There are two.

1) Delete the Google Photos folder in My Drive.

Since the thumbnail here is linked to the file uploaded to Google Photos, if you delete it, the file on Google Photos side will also be deleted. However, if you delete by folder, you can leave that file on Google Photos side.

2) If you change the file type to be uploaded to "all files", it appears in the folder inside My Computer.

<Edit>

Recently the version has been updated to 3.41, so I confirmed the operation again.

An unexpected bug was found.

When "Create Google Photos Folder" is enabled (state contains contents), if you set the file type to "All", the original file on the PC was

overwritten with the compressed file.

And when returning after enlarging the photo file to view, file size will change real size from 0 bytes.

[Case 2]

Avoid saving duplicates on Windows.

[Case 3]

If you change the file type to upload to "All files", thumbnails will appear in the My Computer folder, but will not appear in Google Photos. It is because it remains as a file in Google Drive.

It's pointless that there are two identical files in Google Drive, right?

So let's move the Google Drive file to Google Photos and sync it.

1) Open Google Photos (Google Photos).

2) Check "Show Google Drive photos & videos in your photo library" in the settings.

3) Add all the photos that show up to the album.

4) Even if you turn off (2), photos will remain in Google Photos.

5) After the (3), you can delete the Google Drive file.

It is a file that was saved in Google Drive as the original size, so it will be counted as a quota of Google Photos after about 1 day to about a week.

------------------------------------------------

Google Photos can not save multiple copies of the same picture under different names.

Because Google Photos does not manage photos by file name.

Google Photos manages that file by using the identification code obtained from the EXIF of the photo file.

This ID code does not change even if the file name is changed on Windows.

Also, if the file name is the same but the ID is different, it will be considered a different file on Google Photos.

Please look at the first image below.

I uploaded one photo file to Google Photos with "high quality" and downloaded the compressed file.

"39321418905_de9ecb9725_o.jpg" ⇒ Original photo file

"39321418905_de9ecb9725_o(1).jpg" ⇒ Compressed file

Open the two files with the desktop application "Picasa 3".

"Picasa 3" is an application used in the service of the predecessor of Google Photos.

Obviously, the two files are different in size.

However, looking at the properties, the unique ID is the same.

In other words, if the file on the local device and the file on Google Photos have the same unique ID, it is judged as the same photo file.

The following is what I noticed in the above verification.

When upload size is set to "high quality" and you synchronize new photos, the size notation on Google Photos / Drive is the value after compression.

The original is maintained on the PC side, and the compressed file is on the cloud.

However, moving, adding, and editing files are synchronized to the PC side, so if you restore after moving the file to the trash can, for example with Google Photos, the original on the PC will be replaced with the compressed file.

This is a dangerous specification for users.

If you synchronize a file that already exists only in Google Photos with the "High Quality" & "Photo and Video" settings, Google Drive size notation will be the value after compression for the first time.

When restarting Backup & Sync,

the application re-executes the second synchronization and the size notation of Google Drive changes to the original size (?)

If it is restarted again, it will not process after the third time.

If you synchronize files that already exist only in Google Photos with "High Quality" & "All Files" settings, Google Drive size notation is original size from the first time.

The size notation is the original size, but the quota of the drive is 0 bytes.

You understand what this means.

gsindela, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Ridiculous Google backup and sync times

Deletion of Google Backup and Sync Tool Folder

I am using Google Backup and Sync Tool to backup files. What happens when I accidentally delete a folder from my laptop which is syncing to Google Drive with this Tool? It may delete my previous sync files from Google Drive?

Abishekh Kc, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

Ridiculous Google backup and sync times

1. Ridiculous Google backup and sync times - Similar Threads - Ridiculous Google backup

2. Google Sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Sync: I repeatedly get messages to sync with Google though I have repeatedly done it via settings & confirmed request. If you look at settings it says sync failed but mail is sync'd. I get this message almost daily - help!...
  3. Google Backup and Sync won't Open (UI not shown)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google Backup and Sync won't Open (UI not shown): I have installed Google Backup and Snc on windows 10. It won't open. To be specific, The UI isn't shown, When I run the application, the Tray icon appears and I can see the processes in the task manager but the UI isn't shown. Similarly, When clicking the Tray icon, Nothing...
  4. Google Drive backup & sync to an external SSD ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google Drive backup & sync to an external SSD ?: So right now on my Surface laptop i have Google drive backup and sync installed. The problem is my laptop's storage is only 128gb and i'm about to upgrade my drive storage to 200gb to make room for my 150gb worth of files so all this can no longer be stored on my laptop. So...
  5. Backup and Sync Google in conjunction with OneDrive Downloading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup and Sync Google in conjunction with OneDrive Downloading: It is too slow, it takes hours, has never completed. OneDrive is syncing at 458.2 KB/s. How can I speed this up? Please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-sync-google-in-conjunction-with/4a3b9cbb-567a-4e98-94c0-e8452c29d99a"
  6. After new case install: Google Backup and Sync constantly syncing

After new case install: Google Backup and Sync constantly syncing: I installed a new case a few days back and had numerous issues therefore. I believe I'm down to my last issue: I use Google Backup and Sync to backup all my photos to the cloud. There are approximately 35,000 photos on my HDD. Problem is this: it takes the app about 15 hours...
  7. Unable to sign in to Google Backup and Sync

Unable to sign in to Google Backup and Sync: Hello, I am having trouble logging in Google Backup and Sync on one particular Windows 10 PC in my house. It started around the April updates. All my other PCs could log in to Backup and Sync without problem, but my main PC cannot. I tried many methods (registry cleanup,...
  8. Ridiculous time updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Ridiculous time updating: Arrrggghhh! I'm afraid that's about it for me and W10. I have watched in pain the updates/upgrades over the W10's life and I'm just plain fed up with it. The current update has now been going on for five hours and has gone back to "Preparing to install 8%" where it has been...
  9. Uninstalling an app in Google Backup & Sync

Uninstalling an app in Google Backup & Sync: I have just installed Google Backup & Sync - the new replacement for Google Drive. In the drive I downloaded and installed the Cloud ePub Reader app. I now wish to uninstall this app but I cannot see any way of doing this. Does anyone know how to uninstall it? 92185
  10. Backup and Sync from Google available soon

in Windows 10 News
    Backup and Sync from Google available soon: On June 28th, 2017, we will launch Backup and Sync from Google, a tool intended to help everyday users back up files and photos from their computers, so they’re safe and accessible from anywhere. Backup and Sync is the latest version of Google Drive for Mac/PC, which is now...