Windows 10: Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10

Discus and support Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have had sever problems transferring files to my new Windows 10 laptop, something that appears to be happening to thousands of users. After days of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ThomasEllis4, May 2, 2019.

1. Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10

I have had sever problems transferring files to my new Windows 10 laptop, something that appears to be happening to thousands of users. After days of troubleshooting, it appears that Windows gets stuck "calculating" the estimated transfer time or transfers at ridiculously slow speeds (20kB/s) if you are transferring to a location linked to "OneDrive". I just bought my first Windows 10 laptop and had no idea that my files were being copied to the cloud account OneDrive, which in my case was completely full. The file explorer estimated it would take over 1 day to transfer a directory containing ~600mB of data, the transfer never worked.

However, just for kicks I tried dragging and dropping the same shared folder onto a temp directory that was NOT being copied to OneDrive - the transfer began immediately and took roughly 1.5 minutes !!!

Hopefully Microsoft will address this clear bug, or at least warn users about what can happen if their Desktop fills up their OneDrive account.....

:)

ThomasEllis4, May 2, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

File transfers slowing down, W10

the file transfer is STILL going, 13MB/s

this is ridiculous, i cant believe the hard drive is the cause of the problem here.

Mussels, May 2, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 2, 2019
  4. Steevo Win User

Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10

Cable to transfer files

OMG. I have never met anyone who actually bought one of those file transfer things.

Firewire will do the same as USB, but faster, so will a cheap crossover cable. I can wlak you through the steps of moving data so you will not miss a beat.

Anything more than $10 to buy a cable is too much.

Steevo, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10

1. Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Ridiculously slow failed

2. Slow File Transfer in window 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow File Transfer in window 11: Hello,I recently got the window 11 for my laptop and when i tried to move or copy files whose size is almost 2gb from my google drive desktop app to G:// drive I noticed that the file transfer was not happening and the speed of file transfer is really slow. And I ended up...
  3. Slow File Transfer in window 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow File Transfer in window 11: Hello,I recently got the window 11 for my laptop and when i tried to move or copy files whose size is almost 2gb from my google drive desktop app to G:// drive I noticed that the file transfer was not happening and the speed of file transfer is really slow. And I ended up...
  4. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow: Opening a folder for the first time in a session which contains a large number of media files e.g., *.mov, *.jpg, *.mp4 is very slow i.e., slowly crawling green bar in the file path box.From what I can tell this is because Windows insists on opening each of the files to grab...
  5. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow: Opening a folder for the first time in a session which contains a large number of media files e.g., *.mov, *.jpg, *.mp4 is very slow i.e., slowly crawling green bar in the file path box.From what I can tell this is because Windows insists on opening each of the files to grab...
  6. Slow file transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow file transfer: I have an issue with slow file transfer (windows 10). I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1.If launched from local drive works perfect 2.If launched from mapped drive (same folder on the same hdd) works very slow 3.If...
  7. Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow: I have a Lenovo C340 touchscreen laptop that I bought just a few weeks ago. Most of the time it works fine, as indeed it should do. But when I want to access files from Downloads or Documents saved on my laptop it often takes a long time for the green bar to move from left...
  8. Slow File Transfers Windows 10 Pro 1903

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow File Transfers Windows 10 Pro 1903: Some reason lately experiencing slow file transfers in Windows 10 Pro 1903, 18362.329 using Intel storage controller on USB 3.0 driver, sometimes goes as low as 1kb a second, or goes to 0 and stops a few moments, then continues, transferring like either a 4gb files or...
  9. Ridiculously slow transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ridiculously slow transfer speeds: I have been having an issue with file transfers starting at 300MB/s then tapering down to around 20-30MB/s (as low as 6MB/s on the Firecuda) This is based on a 26.4 GB folder of Karaoke files (CDG & MP3 only). This seems ridiculously slow to me. I am not sure how to tell if...
  10. Ridiculously slow transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    Ridiculously slow transfer speeds: I have been having an issue with file transfers starting at 300MB/s then tapering down to around 20-30MB/s (as low as 6MB/s on the Firecuda) This is based on a 26.4 GB folder of Karaoke files (CDG & MP3 only). This seems ridiculously slow to me. I am not sure how to tell if...