Windows 10: Right click -> New context menu extremely laggy or crashes explorer.

Discus and support Right click -> New context menu extremely laggy or crashes explorer. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My windows 10 build with 1809 17763.437 is having some issues. If I right click and try to go to "new" it often crashes explorer, and when it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LJH08, Apr 25, 2019.

1. LJH08 Win User

Right click -> New context menu extremely laggy or crashes explorer.

My windows 10 build with 1809 17763.437 is having some issues. If I right click and try to go to "new" it often crashes explorer, and when it doesn't it is extremely laggy. It is almost always crashing explorer.

I have attempted updating to newest OS builds, reinstalling newest OS builds from update assistant app, DISM / SFC, checking out registry based on other forums. But none of these seems to do anything. It seems mostly restricted to this user account as creating a new one makes it work better.... but still not as well as my other PC with a fresh windows 10 install. (it's still slower even though this PC has much better processor and ram)

It doesn't seem to record any official crash logs when this happens.

Any suggestions what else I could try before I wipe and start over?

Specs:
    10 build 1809 17763.437
    i7 4790k
    512 Boot SSD + 6 TB Storage HDD
    16GB RAM
    980ti

:)

LJH08, Apr 25, 2019

2. Explorer crashes with right click->New context menu

Right click-> New context menu causes explorer to crash. I have already check ALL third party shell extensions and such using ShellEx and the msconfig.

CalebClever, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Problem with New Context Menu

The option to add a new Rich Text File seems to have disappeared from my Context Menu and I'm not sure why.

I'm not computer savvy, but after a bit of Googling I read how you can add and delete options from the New Context Menu though the Registry Editor. When I went to check it the .rtf folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT still has it's ShellNew folder so I'm not
    sure what the issue is or if perhaps there's something wrong with it. I also found a tool to easily enable/disable file types on the New Context Menu, and .rtf is listed along with everything else and checked off as "enabled" but for some reason is not showing
    up, even after I tried disabling and enabling it a couple of times. This is extremely frustrating as that's the file type I use the most.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is or how to fix it?

MadeOfKittens, Apr 25, 2019
  4. lancewhit Win User

File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on
    the toolbar.

The problem did not exist before I installed the October Update. However, I have another PC with the October Update, and the problem does not occur on that one.

I've determined that it is specific to my account on this one PC. I created and signed in with another account, and the New menu works fine with that one. Short of removing and recreating my entire account, is there another option I can try to fix this glitch?

Thank you.

lancewhit, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Right click -> New context menu extremely laggy or crashes explorer. - Similar Threads - Right click context

2. Need the new right click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need the new right click context menu: Hi, today after I updated my Windows 11 to the 23H2 version from Beta channel insider my right click context menu has changed to the old one like it was in Windows 10. How can I get new context menu back?Build: 22631.2115 Windows 11 Home...
  3. Need the new right click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need the new right click context menu: Hi, today after I updated my Windows 11 to the 23H2 version from Beta channel insider my right click context menu has changed to the old one like it was in Windows 10. How can I get new context menu back?Build: 22631.2115 Windows 11 Home...
  4. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  5. Right Click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click Context Menu: Is there a way to edit it? Mine has things I don't need. Also, is there a way to add things too? And if can't edit. just rearrange the order of the actions. Win10 Pro submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments]...
  6. Right Click Context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Context menu.: How can I change the size of the right click context menu? And can somebody tell me why the context menu changes its size automatically. Right now its showing like thispicture attached, earlier the width was less. [IMG]...
  7. Rearranging right click new context menu

Rearranging right click new context menu: I wanna know how to rearrange the new menu when you right click. I just installed Microsoft Office 2019 and the default arrangement is really ugly. Thanks in advance! submitted by /u/UnsettledForever [link] [comments]...
  8. Right click New context menu

Right click New context menu: I wanna know how to rearrange the new menu when you right click. I just installed Microsoft Office 2019 and the default arrangement is really ugly. Thanks in advance! submitted by /u/UnsettledForever [link] [comments]...
  9. Right-click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click Context Menu: I click on ads on some websites and gadgets to give revenue to the service provider. Generally, I want to right-click, then click on 'Open Link in New Tab'. More and more, right-clicking is acting like left-clicking and taking me to the ad site in the current tab or doing...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...