Windows 10: Right-click not working on desktop icons (but works everywhere else)

Discus and support Right-click not working on desktop icons (but works everywhere else) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm new to Win10 (just migrated from Win7). Running Win10 version 1909. For any icon on my desktop, right-click does not work. Windows times-out for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by akfocus, Jan 13, 2020.

1. akfocus Win User

Right-click not working on desktop icons (but works everywhere else)

I'm new to Win10 (just migrated from Win7). Running Win10 version 1909.

For any icon on my desktop, right-click does not work. Windows times-out for maybe half a minute and then restores my screen.

However, right-click works everywhere else, including on any blank space on the desktop, on the Start button, and in the taskbar, on any menu and within File Explorer.

When I initially updated to Win10 yesterday, right-click worked on the desktop icons too. I tried tweaks (with Winaero Tweaker, Open Shell and StartIsBack) and may have screwed something up with one of those.

The problem also occurs in Safe Mode. I ran SFC /Scannow, and it found no problems.

Do you have any idea what option settings or registry changes I might try?

:)

akfocus, Jan 13, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Right-click not working on desktop icons (but works everywhere else)

Desktop icons

Greg,

I deleted IconCache but when I went to see if it worked by moving an icon on my desktop and then right clicked to refresh, the icon did not move back. It seems like there is a step missing where I need to save the positions of the icons on my desktop. Any
    other suggestions?

Lou

LouisPadula, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

Right-click not working on desktop icons (but works everywhere else)

1. Right-click not working on desktop icons (but works everywhere else) - Similar Threads - Right click working

2. Right Click does not work on Quick Launch/Start Menu items, works everywhere else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click does not work on Quick Launch/Start Menu items, works everywhere else: Right clicking on ANY quick launch shortcut or Start Menu items does not bring up the context menu.Left clicking still launches the application. Right click on taskbar and system icons still works, right click on Start menu icon still works.This just started this morning no...
  3. Right Click does not work on Quick Launch/Start Menu items, works everywhere else

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click does not work on Quick Launch/Start Menu items, works everywhere else: Right clicking on ANY quick launch shortcut or Start Menu items does not bring up the context menu.Left clicking still launches the application. Right click on taskbar and system icons still works, right click on Start menu icon still works.This just started this morning no...
  4. Right Click does not work on Quick Launch/Start Menu items, works everywhere else

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Right click on Desktop not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right click on Desktop not working: Everytime I press right click on my desktop, it makes the cursor start loading (turns in into the blue spinning ring) then just refreshes the desktop. Anyone know a solution? (still happens if I dont right click an application, and just the desktop itself). submitted by...
  6. Right click on desktop not working.

Right click on desktop not working.: hi, I have noticed that whenever I right click on my desktop it gives me the loading symbol, aborts and then restarts and im not sure whats causing this, i looked into the problem scripts and found these were potential problems anyone able to help. Source Windows Explorer...
  7. Right Click on Desktop not working!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click on Desktop not working!: When I press right click on the desktop, the cursor goes into 'loading' mode and doesn't open the menu. However, elsewhere the right click works fine such as selecting files and viewing their properties inside the file manager, including on the desktop icons. Just not around...
  8. Desktop Right Click not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...
  9. Desktop Right Click not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...
  10. Right click works everywhere except network and volume

Right click works everywhere except network and volume: Hello! After searching for right-click in the forums I got too many threads, and to be honest I didn't want to search all of them to find the solution. If there is another similar thread, please give a link. My problem is that right-click with the mouse works everywhere...