Windows 10: Right click often has blank context menu or partials?

Discus and support Right click often has blank context menu or partials? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 x64.. with very little installed outside of Office 2013 and Visual Studio 2015. Every once in awhile I run into a situation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markm75, Aug 11, 2015.

1. markm75 Win User

Right click often has blank context menu or partials?

I'm running Windows 10 x64.. with very little installed outside of Office 2013 and Visual Studio 2015.

Every once in awhile I run into a situation where my right clicks no longer result in a context menu being visable.. at least mostly.. particularly when you right click the desktop and parts of the start menu/taskbar..

I'm unsure what might have caused this... wondering if anyone else has run into this..

Right click often has blank context menu or partials? [​IMG]

Thanks

:)

markm75, Aug 11, 2015
  2. AnneB128 Win User

Right-click menu (context menu) contains blank lines or is completely empty

This solution worked for me, problem was driving me crazy. Thanks for posting fix.

So does the computer re-install the same video driver? Or a different one, I had that issue this morning only 10 minutes after booting up my laptop, and I don't see how the resources could have been exhausted that quickly.

No, I didn't have an issue with monitor or the video drivers. Used computer all day and never had the context menu problem happen. Before I applied the fix it would only run for minutes before the problem reappeared. It was really annoying have to restart
    to fix issue and the have it reoccur within a few minutes.

I have the same problem on a computer with AMD graphics, so I don't think the graphics driver is the problem.

AnneB128, Aug 11, 2015
  3. MBKITMGR Win User
    Right-click menu (context menu) contains blank lines or is completely empty

I had not seen this issue until 2 clients from diffrent orgs reported the problem. I initially blamed malware/niusanceware.

It does seem system resources related. I may be wrong but it went like this in Windows 3.1 days

System resources are used by:

• The positioning data of icons on the desktop, task bar, system tray so that OS know how to behave when one is clicked.
    • Desktop refreshes (such as when you put an icon on the desktop of a user on another machine via the LAN and it appears).
    • Memory used to store file content while being copied between devices.
    • The positioning data of menus in any open applications.
    • If the desktop had a hi res image it had an effect.
    • Window sizes, positions, positions of control menus (maximize, mininmize, close...) and affinity.
    • The refresh of file and folder lists in Windows/File explorer so that new files appear readily in explorer open windows.
    • Icons.
    • context menu data
    • screen saver image and controls
    • Ini files read into the registry at start up
    The memoiry reserver was something like 64 Kilobytes was the reserved memory for this data, exhaust it and you lost the ability to move a window or Windows Explorer would flicker the file list.

I this instance the user has dual screens and the desktop is completely occupied with icons, some slightly overlap, and a system tray with so many apps running it suggests they've had every model printer manufactured by HP/Canon/Epson ever made, and left
    the driver/monitoring sw in place.

What have I done

• Ran CC cleaner to tdy the registry
    • Remove any unused printers and their monitoring apps
    • Had the user perform some hard housekeeping with the desktop icons, suggesting she use the Start Menu to access the lesss frequent ones
    • culled the live apps she had monnitoring Facebook/Twitter and a plethora of others
    I had her test it and the menus came back, so we restarted the machine and it has been ok so far, though I acknowledge it may come back.

Then came the second user to report it...

MBKITMGR, Aug 11, 2015
  4. markm75 Win User

I still havent tracked down what is causing this one.

markm75, Aug 17, 2015
  5. danxmanly Win User
    danxmanly, Aug 19, 2015
  6. markm75 Win User
    I think my issue was caused by Command Prompt here as Admin Power tools (from around 2008 i think).. (which would also cause out of memory prompts on right clicking too).. strange though, never had the issue with win 8

However, this is a great find, shell context editor.. i've gone ahead and downloaded it for future reference if it occurs again..

Thanks for the link

markm75, Aug 19, 2015
  7. JamesR404 Win User
    I'm having the same issue, noticed it for the first time yesterday but it seems to happen all the time. Maybe another thing that changed with a windows update?

I'm at 5,9 GB memory in use, with 2 GB available. Should be OK you'd think...

Attaching the screenshot.....

JamesR404, Dec 4, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Shellexview is great- just be careful to hide Microsoft extensions, as disabling these can have unpleasant consequences.

When diagnosing things you can try a binary chop approach- disable half the others, see what happens, and so on. Conversely enable half disabled.

You shouldn't need to restart or log off.

dalchina, Dec 4, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Dec 4, 2015
  10. RrnR Win User
    I have had this problem for a some weeks (see Windows - applications lose captions, ability to respond to mouse clicks, context menus corrupted - Super User). However with the most recent Windows 10 forced-upgrade the problem seems to have resolved itself, although I have just noticed that the Windows-X menu (hold the Windows key down and press the "X" key for a menu of useful stuff) opened with a couple of items missing their caption text. Closing it and reopening it fixed that however. I haven't seen the long skinny context menu with no text since I upgraded a couple of days ago, and I would have expected it to have occurred by now.

Have you upgraded? My Windows version reports as Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]

11. cabb Win User
    I had this problem too(with contextmenus of trayicons). What fixed it for me is setting the text-scale for both of my monitors to the same value.
    Start -> Settings -> System -> Display -> Change the size of text...

12. madmax2 Win User
    Any solution to this problem?

madmax2, Apr 4, 2018
  13. madmax2 Win User

This does not work for me.

Both are already set to the default of 100% (recommended)

madmax2, Apr 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Right click often has blank context menu or partials? - Similar Threads - Right click often

2. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  3. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  4. Right Click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click Context Menu: Is there a way to edit it? Mine has things I don't need. Also, is there a way to add things too? And if can't edit. just rearrange the order of the actions. Win10 Pro submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments]...
  5. Right Click Context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Context menu.: How can I change the size of the right click context menu? And can somebody tell me why the context menu changes its size automatically. Right now its showing like thispicture attached, earlier the width was less. [IMG]...
  6. Right click New context menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right click New context menu: I wanna know how to rearrange the new menu when you right click. I just installed Microsoft Office 2019 and the default arrangement is really ugly. Thanks in advance! submitted by /u/UnsettledForever [link] [comments]...
  7. Right-click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click Context Menu: I click on ads on some websites and gadgets to give revenue to the service provider. Generally, I want to right-click, then click on 'Open Link in New Tab'. More and more, right-clicking is acting like left-clicking and taking me to the ad site in the current tab or doing...
  8. Right Click Context Menu Glitch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click Context Menu Glitch: If I Right Click in File Explorer or on Desktop and hover over "New," The Menu Freezes as does file explorer and will hang for around 30 seconds to one minute. Very Frustrating and hope it can be fixed!...
  9. Right Click context menu sloooow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Right Click context menu sloooow: I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS on my self built system. It's been working great for years but recently I have notice when right clicking on any file in File Explorer or on the desktop it takes up to 30 seconds for the context menu to appear. I have read other posts about...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...