Windows 10: Right-click on desktop produces 3-4 second red spinner

Discus and support Right-click on desktop produces 3-4 second red spinner in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This just started today, and has continued all day, even after several reboots: Usually, if I right-click on the desktop, I get a pop-up menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wisewiz, May 4, 2021.

1. Wisewiz Win User

Right-click on desktop produces 3-4 second red spinner

This just started today, and has continued all day, even after several reboots: Usually, if I right-click on the desktop, I get a pop-up menu instantly, with about ten items, from View down to Personalize. Today, I'm suddenly getting a noticeable delay when I right-click, with the red "Busy" spinner at the mouse cursor, before the menu appears. Any idea what could be causing this response-lag? (Win 10 Pro 20H2, specs in My computer button, System 1.)

:)

Wisewiz, May 4, 2021
  2. Wisewiz Win User

This just started today, and has continued all day, even after several reboots: Usually, if I right-click on the desktop, I get a pop-up menu instantly, with about ten items, from View down to Personalize. Today, I'm suddenly getting a noticeable delay when I right-click, with the red "Busy" spinner at the mouse cursor, before the menu appears. Any idea what could be causing this response-lag?

(Win 10 Pro 20H2, specs in My computer button, System 1.)

Wisewiz, May 4, 2021
  3. Wisewiz Win User

Hello back, Dr. Brink,*Wink

I had shexview already (always have it) and I disabled the obvious choice: The DeskTopContextMenu Class. There were two entries, and shexvw wouldn't let me disable just one or the other. Disabled, restarted Explorer, and Voila! No delay whatsoever when I right-clicked the desktop. Immediate response, just as it is on my System 2. Now the question is whether I should leave those entries disabled or not. Should I try enabling them again (with restart) and test? It doesn't seem logical to me that re-enabling them would leave the fix in. What say you? Okay to leave them disabled?

I'll hit Thanks when I hear from you again.

Wisewiz, May 4, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Hello Dr. Dan, *Smile

A slow opening context menu is often caused by a shell extension installed by a 3rd party app.

If you like, you can use the method in the tutorial below to troubleshoot and fix this.

Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows

Brink, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Right-click on desktop produces 3-4 second red spinner - Similar Threads - Right click desktop

2. Can't right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't right click on desktop: Hi all,I've been pushing this problem off for awhile now but now it's just getting annoying. Everything on my computer functions properly except for when I try to right click on my desktop I.E. trying to make a new folder. As soon as I restart the computer, I have a small...
  3. Right-click in FExplorer or on desktop icon: 4+ second delay

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Right-click in FExplorer or on desktop icon: 4+ second delay: I've tried Nir's Shell Extensions View and disabled every non MS extension there, one-by-one, and restarted WinExplorer after each selection. Nothing has changed. Right click anything in a FExpl window to create a shortcut, and the context menu takes four seconds (with a...
  4. HardDrive clicks for 3-4 seconds at startup. Is it normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HardDrive clicks for 3-4 seconds at startup. Is it normal?: I searched around on the internet but everyone says that my HDD is about to fail . My laptop is 6 months old and works fine. Should I be worried? submitted by /u/littledickjohnwick [link] [comments]...
  5. Right clicking on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right clicking on desktop: When I left- click on the desktop and click either personalize or display settings a system 32 pop-up appears for less than a second but disappears without opening display settings or personalize. I have done a scan and check disk but nothing. Thanks for any help!...
  6. Right Click/copy produces a sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right Click/copy produces a sound: Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.628. This has just started after a recent update. I don't remember which one. In Excel, Word, Outlook and others, whenever I right click on a word or entry and then select Copy I get a short 'chirp' that I find annoying. The copying occurs...
  7. win10 right clicking taskbar icons produces alarm sound

win10 right clicking taskbar icons produces alarm sound: this just suddenly started out of no where. after an alarm gos off even though its been cleared and reset right clicking any taskbar icon makes the alarm sound. i made a small video showing this Win10 taskbar alarm any ideas on how to fix this? i actually do use the alarms...
  8. Desktop Right Click not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...
  9. right-click on desktop

right-click on desktop: Hey, lately whenever I right-click on the desktop (to create a folder, document, etc.), the menu does not opened, and the system gets stuck for a few minutes. The blue circle continues to rotate for 40-50 minutes after a click, and then the menu opened. Is there a...
  10. Right-CTRL produces a \

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right-CTRL produces a \: Pressing the right CTRL key on an HP Spectre 1000 wireless keyboard produces a \ character. I get the same behavior on two different computers (both Windows 10) and two different Spectre 1000 keyboards. Other keyboards work fine, so it seems to be related to the HP...