Windows 10: Right click on folders and exe files freezes file explorer, accompanied by other issues

Discus and support Right click on folders and exe files freezes file explorer, accompanied by other issues in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Problems: - Right clicking on .exe files or folders causes file explorer to freeze, on desktop as well as in the start menu and in a File Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kingsneak, Sep 1, 2019.

1. kingsneak Win User

Right click on folders and exe files freezes file explorer, accompanied by other issues

Problems:

- Right clicking on .exe files or folders causes file explorer to freeze, on desktop as well as in the start menu and in a File Explorer window. When it freezes it's impossible to close/unfreeze unless I force restart File Explorer with Task Manager.
    - Windows Photo Viewer starts an hour after clicking on an image or not at all

- NVIDIA Control Panel and Adobe Flash CS3/5 don't do anything when I try to start them, act like I didn't even click on them

Installed Programs and Error message

Attempted solutions:

- Restarting
    - messing with file explorer settings
    - ShellEx deactivating shell extensions
    - Uninstalling some programs known to cause issues
    - Restarting anything NVIDIA
    - Remove Windows Photo Viewer/Reinstall/ect
    - Updating NVIDIA drivers
    - Disabled quickstart
    - Windows Update
    - sfc /scannow
    - DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    - msconfig - deactivated all non-Microsoft services and restarted

Problem does not occour in safe mode.

I mysteriously don't have any back ups to go back to anymore. I am lost. Please help.

Worst case I'll have to install Windows 10 and everything again, I just hope there's another way to fix it.

:)

kingsneak, Sep 1, 2019

2. Searching folders freezes file explorer

Suggestions? WHen i try looking in folders, file explorer freezes

brettbonner, Sep 1, 2019
  3. kd833 Win User
    Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

kd833, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Right click on folders and exe files freezes file explorer, accompanied by other issues

Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

Right click on folders and exe files freezes file explorer, accompanied by other issues

1. Right click on folders and exe files freezes file explorer, accompanied by other issues - Similar Threads - Right click folders

2. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  3. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  4. Right click on the folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right click on the folder in File Explorer: Right click on any folder on right screen or large icon or horizontal lists is fine.But every time I right click on any folder on the left screen or small icon or vertical lists , the file explorer crashes and closes.This problem occurred last a or two week ago.Any idea?...
  5. Right click on the folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click on the folder in File Explorer: Right click on any folder on right screen or large icon or horizontal lists is fine.But every time I right click on any folder on the left screen or small icon or vertical lists , the file explorer crashes and closes.This problem occurred last a or two week ago.Any idea?...
  6. Right click on the folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. No text in File Explorer & other programs, or in right-click menu issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No text in File Explorer & other programs, or in right-click menu issue: Daily i am faced to No text in File Explorer & other programs, or in right-click menu issue , once restart then its working fine. But restart is not a permanent solution. So we need to permanent solution. find the Attached my snap....
  8. file explorer freezes when i right click on a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file explorer freezes when i right click on a file: file explorer freezes when i right click on a file, i ran sfc /scannow but it reports that nothing is wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-freezes-when-i-right-click-on-a-file/46248c43-55b8-41a7-a1b1-ea300801f245
  9. File Explorer Right Click Folders are STUCK

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Right Click Folders are STUCK: [ATTACH] Hi. First time posting here so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong. I have an issue for a while now, when I right click on file explorer, the 'recent' folders are stuck and I can't pin/unpin, open or delete any of the suggested folders. It's simply frozen. I...
  10. Right Click on Folders, File, Shortcut Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click on Folders, File, Shortcut Issue: Hi, I have noticed a problem recently with my PC. Sometimes, when I right click on a folder, file or shortcut, I'm met with an extremely long load time blue spinning wheel. If I'm within File explorer and this happens, I can restart the process via task manager. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove windows file manager right click options

2. try to change my downloads folder right click freezes

3. right clicking file freezes file explorer

4. right clic folder freeze