Windows 10: Right-click on shortcuts and .exe's causes screen to blink + no menu

Discus and support Right-click on shortcuts and .exe's causes screen to blink + no menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi - Bizzarro problem with Windows 10. Help appreciated! In any account, including Administrator ones AND the Administrator account: If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zornhau, Aug 18, 2015.

1. zornhau Win User

Right-click on shortcuts and .exe's causes screen to blink + no menu

Hi - Bizzarro problem with Windows 10. Help appreciated!

In any account, including Administrator ones AND the Administrator account:

• If I right-click a desktop shortcut, the screen blinks black. No sign of the context menu.
    • If I locate an .exe in its folder and right-click that, the screen blinks black. The folder closes. No context menu.

Related, perhaps:
    • In a Standard account, if I try to turn down the UAC settings (so my son can use Steam without me logging him in each time), the Windows accepts my administrator password, then ignores my changes.

Notes
    • I have recorded the blink and played it back frame by frame. No message or anything appears. The screen merely goes black.
    • Windows 10 otherwise seems to work fine.
    • I have done virus scans etc.

All this makes it very hard to set up Standard accounts that are any use. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

zornhau, Aug 18, 2015
  2. suat.cini Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

I created a shortcut on my desktop to a program in Program Files folder. When I right-click this shortcut, it gives me a menu, which has "Pin to start screen" and "Pin to task bar" options. Maybe I misunderstood you. I may have confused a shortcut to a
    web page with a shortcut to something else. I just created a shortcut to a web page and right-clicking did not give me the options. Sorry for causing you inconvenience.

suat.cini, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Chriso747 Win User
    Firefox browser blocked in Win10

Again, not sure whether you want to have Firefox as an App button or a shortcut on desktop.

Is it in your Start menu? If so, right click on it (or its sub-folder) and select Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar. If it's not in your Start menu, then go to where it resides (probably in Program Files (x86)). Find the .exe file, right click on it and
    create a shortcut or click Pin to Start (for an App button). Drag the shortcut to your desktop and edit the name if you prefer.

Chriso747, Aug 18, 2015
  4. danxmanly Win User

Got this from another forum.. but looks like a third party software addon is causing a conflict as mine was.

Solved Right Click Menu Lag on my pc

This is the solution:
    Please download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

• This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    • From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu
    • On the list, you'll see some of the entries with pink background, those are installed by the third party software
    • Hold down CTRL Key and select all of them then click on the red button on top left corner to disable.
    • Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    • Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fix your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 5 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

For me it was Autodesk Inventor Part extension that was the culprit.
    Did run into one issue as I was solving the problem whereas I disabled everything to begin the troubleshooting process, and I lost my desktop and it would not come back up to allow me to test anything. Had to do Ctrl-Alt-Del, and within task manager click on file, run new task, and type in explorer.exe to get it to run again. Then I could continue my weeding out process.

Good luck.

danxmanly, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Right-click on shortcuts and .exe's causes screen to blink + no menu - Similar Threads - Right click shortcuts

2. Right mouse click loading and blinking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right mouse click loading and blinking: https://youtu.be/yWDq9yqVBDo?si=LEWDxAC0y26_MYv2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-mouse-click-loading-and-blinking/02bf603d-d5dc-4db8-a92d-a31191957f16
  3. Right mouse click loading and blinking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right mouse click loading and blinking: https://youtu.be/yWDq9yqVBDo?si=LEWDxAC0y26_MYv2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-mouse-click-loading-and-blinking/02bf603d-d5dc-4db8-a92d-a31191957f16
  4. Right-click menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click menu: I work with *.py Python files all day. These files are associated with Python for direct running, but to edit a .py file I right-click on a file to get to an editor, either VSCode , IDLE, or EditPlus. Unfortunately, I can't select any of these directly. Instead, I have to...
  5. Shortcut missing from the right-click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut missing from the right-click context menu: Hi,When I right click on my mouse, I do not see add to the "short-cut" option in the context menu, unless I am on the laptop screen itself, in which case it is under "new" option on the context menu. In addition, I want to add "sniping tool" and calculator to the context...
  6. Shortcut missing from the right-click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut missing from the right-click context menu: Hi,When I right click on my mouse, I do not see add to the "short-cut" option in the context menu, unless I am on the laptop screen itself, in which case it is under "new" option on the context menu. In addition, I want to add "sniping tool" and calculator to the context...
  7. Shortcut missing from the right-click context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Create desktop shortcut in right click menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create desktop shortcut in right click menu?: Hi, I'm on Windows 10 Pro and was wondering if there is any way to add the option to create a shortcut directly on the desktop instead of the folder that the original .exe file is in? Thanks for any help. submitted by /u/PricyThunder87 [link] [comments]...
  9. Ctrl+A causes right click menu to appear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl+A causes right click menu to appear: Not sure if this is an OS thing or a keyboard thing but I thought I'd ask. Ever since I've gotten my hp Spectre laptop, if I use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+A, it sometimes causes the right click menu to appear. Because it's so inconsistent and doesn't always happen when I use...
  10. right click menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    right click menu: when using the right click menu, how do i get a "confirm" option before deleting a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-menu/5122906b-d095-4233-a785-1aadb877a634"