Windows 10: Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing

Discus and support Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I know this has been asked before and I tried using the solutions in this forums. Interestingly, I used ShellExView from Nirsoft and started by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DewaUK, Jun 27, 2019.

1. DewaUK Win User

Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing

I know this has been asked before and I tried using the solutions in this forums.

Interestingly, I used ShellExView from Nirsoft and started by disabling every non-microsoft shell extension. It solved the problem. However, I enabled all the items again, and funny enough the problem did not come back.

However though, when I restarted the computer, the problem came back again. I guess I will have to disable all the extensions, the start enabling one by one and then restarting the computer to find the culprit. That will take me some time... I could do it by blocks I suppose.

My question is, Is there another way without having to enable one by one and restarting the computer.

Thanks in advance....

:)

DewaUK, Jun 27, 2019
  2. Namslas90 Win User
    Namslas90, Jun 27, 2019
  3. F1reFly Win User
    right click crashes explorer

appreciated*Toast :toast:

edit: haha, i just noticed that the snipping tool is completely gone from my system, it was there the other day, now its gone and its backup in winsxs wont run....god i hate windows. heck with it, i'm formatting

F1reFly, Jun 27, 2019
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing - Similar Threads - Right click Explorer

2. Right click causes windows explorer crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click causes windows explorer crash: When I right-click on the desktop or anywhere within file explorer, the explorer waits for a second, crashes and restarts. It started after September 2023 windows 11 update which I did 21 Sep 2023. Before that day, right click was working file, with old context menu and with...
  3. Right click causes windows explorer crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right click causes windows explorer crash: When I right-click on the desktop or anywhere within file explorer, the explorer waits for a second, crashes and restarts. It started after September 2023 windows 11 update which I did 21 Sep 2023. Before that day, right click was working file, with old context menu and with...
  4. Explorer crashing on right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer crashing on right click: Explorer.exe keeps crashing when I right click in a window or on the desktop. This seemed to start happening randomly and not after a Windows update or anything in particular.I have tried the following:-Disabled antivirus-Disabled context menu's using ShellExView-Booting into...
  5. Explorer crashing on right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashing on right click: Explorer.exe keeps crashing when I right click in a window or on the desktop. This seemed to start happening randomly and not after a Windows update or anything in particular.I have tried the following:-Disabled antivirus-Disabled context menu's using ShellExView-Booting into...
  6. Right clicking certain files causes explorer to crash

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right clicking certain files causes explorer to crash: This is what I see in the log. Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: explorer.exe Application Version: 10.0.18362.815 Application Timestamp: 51185cb4 Fault Module Name:...
  7. Windows Explorer Crashes on Right Click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Crashes on Right Click: I've been having this problem for about 2 months now. Basically whenever I go to right click a folder / my desktop explorer stops responding and eventually crashes. I've tried disabling extensions using ShellExView, and disabling shimgvw.dll using CMD Prompt. Can't really...
  8. Right Click Items in Quick Access Crashes Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click Items in Quick Access Crashes Explorer: When right clicking on items in quick access, explorer crashes. - I have cleared file explorer history. - I have removed unchecked "show frequently used folders in quick access" - When I start explorer via CMD (right click > Run as Administrator) then I can right click...
  9. Explorer crashes when right clicks a side bar item.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes when right clicks a side bar item.: So I encountered this question: When I opened the explorer, it takes me to the computer page. There are something on side bar. When I right clicked one of them, the window freezes and later the explorer restarts since I see a reload of my taskbar. Windows Version: Windows...
  10. explorer crashes right click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer crashes right click: File explorer shuts down randomly during file transfers, but more often after a right click https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-crashes-right-click/937d7dcf-f8c0-46e8-a8bd-a8a9f8c56f15