Windows 10: Right-clicking File Explorer windows in Taskbar

Discus and support Right-clicking File Explorer windows in Taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not sure what caused this problem but it seemed to appear somewhat suddenly a few weeks back or so. Whenever I right-click a file explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MK3, Dec 20, 2015.

1. MK3
    MK3 Win User

Right-clicking File Explorer windows in Taskbar

I'm not sure what caused this problem but it seemed to appear somewhat suddenly a few weeks back or so.

Whenever I right-click a file explorer window (i.e. This PC, Downloads etc.) on the taskbar, I no longer get the option to Close window. The only things that appear when I right-click are a bunch of Pinned and Recent items. Many of the pinned items were not pinned by myself and whenever I try to remove one item from this list, a new one shows up (for example, a random document). I also always disable any option that shows recently used items, so I don't understand why those are appearing either.

I have tried to go into the folder and search options in This PC and uncheck show recently used files and show frequently used folders in the Privacy section, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

I am wondering if this is happening for anyone else? It's somewhat of a superficial problem but I'd like to solve it if that's possible.

:)

2. MK1235 Win User

I'm not sure what caused this problem but it seemed to appear somewhat suddenly a few weeks back or so.

Whenever I right-click a file explorer window (i.e. This PC, Downloads etc.) on the taskbar, I no longer get the option to
    Close window. The only things that appear when I right-click are a bunch of
    Pinned and Recent items. Many of the pinned items were not pinned by myself and whenever I try to remove one item from this list, a new one shows up (for example, a random document). I also always disable any option that shows
    recently used items, so I don't understand why those are appearing either.

I have tried to go into the folder and search options in
    This PC
    and uncheck show recently used files and
    show frequently used folders
    in the Privacy section, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

I am wondering if this is happening for anyone else? It's somewhat of a superficial problem but I'd like to solve it if that's possible.

MK1235, Dec 20, 2015
  3. Right-clicking File Explorer windows in Taskbar

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check.

Method 1: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

1. Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.

2. Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.

3. On the Services tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the
    Hide all Microsoft services
    check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

4. On the Startup tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
    Disable.

6. Close Task Manager.

7. On the Startup tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

If issue still persists try method 2

Method 2:

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption.
    SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

• Press Windows key + X, click
      Command Prompt (Admin)
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 3:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Dec 20, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Not sure why you have this behaviour but you can try holding down Ctrl and Shift when you right click and see if this gives you the "Close Window" option.

philc43, Dec 21, 2015
  5. MK3
    MK3 Win User
    This will show the "Close Window" option but is there any way to have the option show up by default, as it used to, when I right-click a file explorer window?

6. MK3
    MK3 Win User
    I was able to solve this problem by browsing to the following folder location:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

and deleting all the files in there. To get into the hidden folder, I had to copy and paste the previous folder location in Explorer.

It seems to have solved the problem completely for now. If the problem reappears for some reason, I will provide an update.

Thema:

1. Right-clicking File Explorer windows in Taskbar - Similar Threads - Right clicking File

2. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  3. right click not working in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    right click not working in file explorer: hello,I am encountering with an issue in file explorer windows 10. I wanted to print some documents and when i right clicked in the folder. It just hanged, like when the cursor shows a blue round moving animation only. That happened and the file explorer froze. I cant even...
  4. Right click on the folder in File Explorer

Right click on the folder in File Explorer: Right click on any folder on right screen or large icon or horizontal lists is fine.But every time I right click on any folder on the left screen or small icon or vertical lists , the file explorer crashes and closes.This problem occurred last a or two week ago.Any idea?...
  5. Right click on the folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click on the folder in File Explorer: Right click on any folder on right screen or large icon or horizontal lists is fine.But every time I right click on any folder on the left screen or small icon or vertical lists , the file explorer crashes and closes.This problem occurred last a or two week ago.Any idea?...
  6. Right click on the folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar

Problem with right clicking on file explorer in the taskbar: Hello. I am having a weird problem. Sometimes when I right click on the file explorer icon in the taskbar nothing happens when other times I get the usual quick menu. It seems to be about a 75/25 split. I haven't changed anything and it only happens with file explorer....
  8. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  9. Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Not Opening with any: The Problem. Taskbar > File Explorer > Right Click > Pinned > Documents , Desktop or Anything on the drop down list Not Opening with any Double Click or Right Click > Open Click . . .On 1 of my PC's (main One) , Works OK on the Others. I believe they are all setup the same....
  10. File Explorer - Right click and crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Right click and crashing: Hello Please see my You Tube Demo video - when I right click on a file within File Explorer on Windows 10 it crashes; here is a video demo of the crash - as you can see the Bar down the bottom is disappearing Please can anyone suggest a fix. demo - YouTube 82170