Windows 10: Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu

Discus and support Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; About a week ago after i updated windows 10 for the first time in a while i've noticed that occasionally when i right click pictures, documents, etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by shrekster1000, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu

About a week ago after i updated windows 10 for the first time in a while i've noticed that occasionally when i right click pictures, documents, etc. in windows explorer to open the context menu, explorer will freeze and ill have the blue spinny loading cursor for like 30 seconds. The only stuff i have installed that affects the right click / context menu is 7-zip and winrar. I've already used the registry editor to remove unwanted things from the context menu, but it still causes explorer to hang. Any idea whats going on? Is this a problem with windows?

:)

shrekster1000, Mar 23, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Explorer hangs for a second when right clicking empty space

Are you talking windows explorer or internet explorer?

First thought, some sort of timeout problem. Explorer is trying to connect to something that isn't there or not responding.

Edit: I just saw this... so windows explorer:

I've seen similar behavior in Excel when a network printer (that was the default) wasn't available, Excel would hang for a second on just about every click. Solution was to change the default printer to PDF or something local. I'm only saying that because something analogous could be happening in your case.

Edit2:

Read this: http://www.winhelponline.com/xp/slowrightclick.htm

Sasqui, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Taskbar Explorer right click context menu slow (not just explorer)

Hi,

so one thing i can't seem to solve is that right clicking on explorer or most other applications (i think) is slow on windows 10.
    I have used this before: 7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeL's Blog
    And this solves that completely, it's instant.
    Problem is, some applications doesn't work, like Visual Studio Code i simply don't get any context menu last i tried at least.

I think the problem lies in it's generation of pinned items and jump lists, so it have to wait for information before creating the actual menu.
    Cause i think it got sped up quite a bit in other programs if i deactivated the jump list somewhere in settings.
    However explorer is always slow cause of the pinned items (i think).

It's really frustrating and i have decided to ask here in hope that someone knows something,
    cause i can't find a solution. Hopefully it's just me missing something obvious.

ThanksRight clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu :)!

zerowalker, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu

system doesnt respond when i press right click in ...

that right click menu is called the context menu.

odds are, a broken program has left entries there and windows is trying to load them, and waits to timeout before giving you a menu.

i have a program that fixes that, looking for a link now

http://blog.shankarganesh.com/2007/...e-delete-windows-explorer-shell-context-menu/

list of programs

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-clean-up-your-messy-windows-context-menu/

registry locations for doing it manually (and definately worke for vista/7)

Mussels, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu

1. Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu - Similar Threads - Right clicking files

2. File Explorer And right click menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer And right click menu: When I try to open properties menu in file explorer noting pops up Don't know what to do I've tried sfc/scannow as admin and in safe mode and still did not work.My right click Context menu doesn't work either But works on chrome but not the desktop it self...
  3. File Explorer And right click menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer And right click menu: When I try to open properties menu in file explorer noting pops up Don't know what to do I've tried sfc/scannow as admin and in safe mode and still did not work.My right click Context menu doesn't work either But works on chrome but not the desktop it self...
  4. Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing: Somehow, my entire "New" submenu is missing in File Explorer. I tried adding the registry entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. as shown below, but it didn't help.Under ContextMenuHandlers check if you can find a key by name New, if...
  5. Right-Click Context menu stuck at loading in File Explore.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right-Click Context menu stuck at loading in File Explore.: Hello Context menu is working fine in desktop and side panel but, after selecting folder and right clicking it never opens waited around 15 min file explore is not showing not responding tag. tried every thing which are mentioned in this thread....
  6. Context Menu crashes Win 10 right clicking causing win explorer to not respond

Context Menu crashes Win 10 right clicking causing win explorer to not respond: i have been dealing with this issue for a month . where I right click in windows file explorer and/or my desktop and it ends up crashing. the only times i can avoid this issue is on startup after the first 1 hour of use it gives me tons of issues. sometimes browsing the...
  7. RE: Windows Explorer Context Menu - Right Click

RE: Windows Explorer Context Menu - Right Click: Good evening, After an update this week, the context menu that shows up when I right click on files and directories in Windows Explorer does not show what menu item is not being highlighted on my external monitors It does appear on the laptop itself - though I believe that...
  8. Taskbar Explorer right click context menu slow (not just explorer)

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Explorer right click context menu slow (not just explorer): Hi, so one thing i can't seem to solve is that right clicking on explorer or most other applications (i think) is slow on windows 10. I have used this before: 7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeL's Blog And this solves that completely, it's instant. Problem is, some applications...
  9. Right click hangs for File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...