Windows 10: Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable

Discus and support Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So today I fully reset my PC because it was misbehaving, after the reset while the original problem disappeared, a new one came up. When on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kartik_727, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Kartik_727 Win User

Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable

So today I fully reset my PC because it was misbehaving, after the reset while the original problem disappeared, a new one came up.

When on the desktop, if I right click, the cursor becomes the blue circle meaning it is loading or something and that makes the desktop completely freeze, meaning I cannot click anything on the desktop and it becomes completely unresponsive. I can open apps using taskbar or using start menu or press Win+E for Explorer, basically everything except the desktop works. But while in an app, if I click on the lower right corner of the screen (show desktop) that doesn't work, neither does Win+D.

After a few minutes, the desktop seems to be working again (everything mentioned above - Show Desktop, Win+D etc. - that doesn't work starts working) until I try to right click on desktop, in which case it freezes again. When the desktop is not frozen, I can left click anywhere and it works normally, I can drag icons, double click to open them etc., and right clicking the icons on the desktop also works. It is only when I right-click empty space on desktop when it starts to give me problems.

P.S - I don't know if this is important but the PC misbehaving I was talking about earlier that lead me to reset my PC was a WiFi driver issue that seems to have come because of a new Windows update that had finished installing a few minutes before that whole thing started.

:)

Kartik_727, Nov 9, 2018
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Naki, Nov 9, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    NOTE: download version 1.97 or later, else Restart Explorer won't work in step 4

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu. Also put check marks as shown

Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable [​IMG]
    3. Click on the screen, Hold down CTRL Key+A to select all then click on the red button on top left corner to disable all.
    4. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    5. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fixes your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 4 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

topgundcp, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

I cannot right click on my desktop not the icons just the desktop

Hi Sue,

Corruptions may be the possible reason why you're unable to use the right-click option in your mouse. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you tried using right-click on your desktop?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable - Similar Threads - Right clicking desktop

2. Right click on desktop not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right click on desktop not working: I just factory resetted my laptop and now when I right click on the desktop it only shows the loading icon but doesnt do anything, how can i fix it?...
  3. Windows 10, Desktop right click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10, Desktop right click: Hi I recently updated my Windows 10 version t 1803 and the KB4338853 and sine then I cant right click on my desktop it just shows the loading icon but doesnt really respond... is there any way to fix this ?...
  4. Can't right-click pictures on desktop...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't right-click pictures on desktop...: Hi! I can right-click any kind of file that I have stored on my desktop and get the fuill contextual menu, except for picture files. Whe I try on one of these, the focus is immediately lost. Only on some very rare occasions can I get the menu to show up. Has anyone got an...
  5. No shortcut option on right click desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    No shortcut option on right click desktop: Please can anyone help. I have upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. When right clicking the desktop I only get the option under the "New" menu to crate a folder, no shortcut. Anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks 15032
  6. Right click on desktop or files not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click on desktop or files not working: Looking for solution about my Right Click which suddenly not working anymore... 6428
  7. Unused desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unused desktop icons?: Hello, after I played a game, I found that the icons in my desktop were different, I keep always them all together, I never have an empty space between them, but I found some empty space between them and I am afraid Windows alone deleted something and I don't understand...
  8. Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click: Instead, I have to use the Delete button. Is this normal? 74701
  9. Right Click on Drive makes Menu disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click on Drive makes Menu disappear: If I go into File Explorer, navigate to any Drive, and right click on it, the File Explorer menu just disappears. Nothing else happens. No other apparent side effects, but I would like to be able to right click on a Drive to view Properties, etc. This has been happening for...
  10. Right-clicking [on desktop] not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-clicking [on desktop] not working.: I have downloaded Windows 10 as I am sure you all have. When I right-click [on a .jpg] on the desktop it takes ages to bring-up the context menu and invariably does NOT RESPOND [so my task manager tells me]. How do I fix this? 16837