Windows 10: Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable

Discus and support Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So today I fully reset my PC because it was misbehaving, after the reset while the original problem disappeared, a new one came up. When on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kartik_727, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable

So today I fully reset my PC because it was misbehaving, after the reset while the original problem disappeared, a new one came up.

When on the desktop, if I right click, the cursor becomes the blue circle meaning it is loading or something and that makes the desktop completely freeze, meaning I cannot click anything on the desktop and it becomes completely unresponsive. I can open apps using taskbar or using start menu or press Win+E for Explorer, basically everything except the desktop works. But while in an app, if I click on the lower right corner of the screen (show desktop) that doesn't work, neither does Win+D.

After a few minutes, the desktop seems to be working again (everything mentioned above - Show Desktop, Win+D etc. - that doesn't work starts working) until I try to right click on desktop, in which case it freezes again. When the desktop is not frozen, I can left click anywhere and it works normally, I can drag icons, double click to open them etc., and right clicking the icons on the desktop also works. It is only when I right-click empty space on desktop when it starts to give me problems.

P.S - I don't know if this is important but the PC misbehaving I was talking about earlier that lead me to reset my PC was a WiFi driver issue that seems to have come because of a new Windows update that had finished installing a few minutes before that whole thing started.

:)

Kartik_727, Nov 9, 2018
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Naki, Nov 9, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

Download: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    NOTE: download version 1.97 or later, else Restart Explorer won't work in step 4

1. This program does not require installation, just right click and run as Administrator
    2. From the menu, click on Options then click on Filter by Extension Type and select Context Menu. Also put check marks as shown

Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable [​IMG]
    3. Click on the screen, Hold down CTRL Key+A to select all then click on the red button on top left corner to disable all.
    4. Click on the Options again and select Restart Explorer
    5. Now try to right click on desktop to see if it fixes your problem. If it does then start to enable one by one and repeat step 4 until the problem occurs again, that's the offending extension.

topgundcp, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable

I cannot right click on my desktop not the icons just the desktop

Hi Sue,

Corruptions may be the possible reason why you're unable to use the right-click option in your mouse. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you tried using right-click on your desktop?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable

1. Right clicking on desktop makes it unusable - Similar Threads - Right clicking desktop

2. Desktop keeps refreshing making pc unusable!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop keeps refreshing making pc unusable!: Hey, i was installing an appFL studio and it finished fine. Right when it finished my desktop started to refresh constantly while programs like firefox still worked and i could alt-tab between them but the refreshing was annoying so i restart my pc. Now the pc starts fine and...
  3. Desktop keeps refreshing making pc unusable!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop keeps refreshing making pc unusable!: Hey, i was installing an appFL studio and it finished fine. Right when it finished my desktop started to refresh constantly while programs like firefox still worked and i could alt-tab between them but the refreshing was annoying so i restart my pc. Now the pc starts fine and...
  4. Desktop keeps refreshing making pc unusable!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Right clicking on desktop makes everything blink

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right clicking on desktop makes everything blink: I've had a problem recently with my laptop and its becoming a problem with one of my classes. Sometimes when I right click on the desktop, the screen turns black for a second and all the icons and taskbar disappear for a second after. I also got a loading wheel while this...
  6. Right clicking on desktop makes everything blink

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right clicking on desktop makes everything blink: I've had a problem recently with my laptop and its becoming a problem with one of my classes. Sometimes when I right click on the desktop, the screen turns black for a second and all the icons and taskbar disappear for a second after. I also got a loading wheel while this...
  7. Right clicking on desktop makes everything blink

8. Right clicking on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right clicking on desktop: When I left- click on the desktop and click either personalize or display settings a system 32 pop-up appears for less than a second but disappears without opening display settings or personalize. I have done a scan and check disk but nothing. Thanks for any help!...
  9. right-click on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    right-click on desktop: Hey, lately whenever I right-click on the desktop (to create a folder, document, etc.), the menu does not opened, and the system gets stuck for a few minutes. The blue circle continues to rotate for 40-50 minutes after a click, and then the menu opened. Is there a...
  10. Desktop Right Click not working

Desktop Right Click not working: So when I try to right click my desktop to make a folder the blue loading icon loads and it takes about 5 minutes to load and then nothing happens. I do it again and it does the same thing.. when it's loading I can't click anything on my desktop at all and when it stops...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. right click on mouse makes cursor unusable