Windows 10: right clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer

Discus and support right clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, When I right click to eject usb stick safely it doesn't allow me to remove the flash drive but it opens up file explorer for the USB stick. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ukmexicano, Dec 11, 2020.

1. right clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer

Hi all,

When I right click to eject usb stick safely it doesn't allow me to remove the flash drive but it opens up file explorer for the USB stick.
    I can still eject it by opening up "This PC" and ejecting that way but it's too may clicks.
    Is there a fix for this?
    Do I still have to use Remove Safely for Better Performance or can I leave it on Quick Removal?
    I'm on Windows 10 Pro Ver. 20H2 build 19042.685
    Thanks

:)

ukmexicano, Dec 11, 2020

2. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Missing Eject in "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" List

I use to be able to eject my USB drive via "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" with list as below:

- Open Devices and Printers
    - Eject Data Traveler 111
    - USB Drive (Dright clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer :)
    - Eject My Passport Ultra
    - My Passport (Eright clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer :)

However recently the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" list seems corrupted and shows:

- Open Devices and Printers
    - USB Drive (Dright clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer :)

- My Passport (Eright clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer :)

with { - USB Drive (Dright clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer :) } and { - My Passport (Eright clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer :) } are grayed out.

Currently the only way for me is go to file explorer and right click the removable drive and click Eject.

Please help!

Tze Lin Wong, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Ian Sal Win User

right clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer

eject USB stick from display dock

There's a work-around if "safely remove" icon is missing.

• Tap the "file explorer".
    • Enter This PC.
    • Tap and hold or right click the flash drive icon shown to the right of your C: drive.
    • And hit eject USB.
    Let us know how it works.

Regards.

Ian Sal, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

right clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer

1. right clicking to eject usb stick safely only opens up file explorer - Similar Threads - right clicking eject

2. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  3. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  4. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives: I was troubleshooting a product issue and was advised by their customer support to update my usb drivers with the free version of "Driver Hub". After installing the new drivers the usb ports would not work properly so I reverted back to the old drivers. The problem now is the...
  6. No Right Click EJECT Context Menu For USB Flash Drive

No Right Click EJECT Context Menu For USB Flash Drive: Previously, I had a right click/Eject context menu for my USB removable flash drives. Then I used a driver updater programme to update the usb drivers. There was a problem with the new drivers so I reverted back to the old ones. The problem is now in My PC, the right click...
  7. No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    No Right Click Eject menu For USB Flash Drives: I was troubleshooting a product issue and was advised by their customer support to update my usb drivers with the free version of "Driver Hub". After installing the new drivers the usb ports would not work properly so I reverted back to the old drivers. The problem now is the...
  8. USB stick not ejecting

USB stick not ejecting: Hi I am running Windows 10 64bit 20H2 but this problem has been happening for the past few iterations of W10. Whenever I plug in a USB stick to delete some files and then try to safely eject the stick, I get the pop up message about "the device is currently in use". The...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer, Right-Click Freeze-up only happens with two+ windows open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer, Right-Click Freeze-up only happens with two+ windows open: I am working on a 2+ week-old new-build/clean-install Win-10 64-bit enterprise with all updates installed. Immediately after the install, and as far as I remember the only "extra" software I had installed was Chrome, as I was copying files from my old development machine I...
  10. Icon for ejecting usb stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon for ejecting usb stick: The icon has disappeared that I use to eject a usb safely. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/icon-for-ejecting-usb-stick/5f83f60a-7497-4029-883c-4c843ef7ec54