Windows 10: Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu

Discus and support Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Some info up front: 1) I did a clean install a few weeks ago. I've made minimal changes - nothing intrusive, certainly (well, see below).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dscutt, Dec 24, 2018.

1. dscutt Win User

Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu

Hello,

Some info up front:

1) I did a clean install a few weeks ago. I've made minimal changes - nothing intrusive, certainly (well, see below). This morning I was changing the location of the User Folders found under This PC in Windows Explorer. I have 2 hard drives, C and D. For instance, I changed the location of Documents from CRight Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu :Documents to DRight Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu :Documents.

2) I've since tried various scans and have tried using shellexview to disable non-Windows context menu items. I've tried Safe Mode, and the problem goes away (while in Safe Mode). I tried SFC /SCANNOW from https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/run-sfc-command-in-windows-10.8225/, and also tried the DISM stuff they talk about on there.
    3) I've tried basically the top 5 results for various searches like "windows 10 right clicking folder freezes" and "windows 10 change user folder location". I've tried more search criteria than that - those are just examples.

4) Windows is installed on C.

Now, the issue:

When I right click on my (now redirected) User Folders under This PC, the context menu freezes. Additionally, when I try to run Powershell normally or as an admin, it automatically closes. I tried researching this issue briefly, with no immediate luck. Another issue I found was that setting my desktop background as a slideshow using a folder located in my D drive did not work. I ended up changing the owner of my D drive from Administrators to my own account, and this resolved my slideshow background issue.

If you're a Microsoft employee or community manager or the like, please do not point me at Microsoft's generic context menu and system file fixes. Half the time the links people are given just take you to the Help Center front page. Microsoft's help center is basically worthless without the community. If you're not going to read what I've written here, then don't bother responding. If you do respond and it's clear you haven't read this, then a thousand plagues upon your family name.

:)

dscutt, Dec 24, 2018
  2. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

3. change the right click "new" context menu options

How may I edit the right click context menu to add apps or options that are relevant. Right click on the desktop and a menu pops up offering to "view > ", or " sort by >" and so forth. Under right click "new > " after "folder" and "shortcut" are a list
    of totally useless (to me) choices for a new Microsoft word document or data base document or a number of other Microsoft apps that I do not have or use. How may I edit the right click context menu to add apps or options that are relevant. Thank you

dubiousbanks, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu

Right-click context menu "Run as Administrator" not working

I have the same problem but mine is limited to right clicking the start menu. I can right click everything else and it works correctly, but if I right click the start menu, it doesn't open the context menu and the cursor shifts just a little diagonally to
    the top right. I've tried the suggestions above and the new account works fine and the SFC scan came up with nothing wrong.

Edit- also Winkey + X doesn't bring open the context menu either

jedbillman, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu

1. Right Clicking User Folder Freezes Context Menu - Similar Threads - Right Clicking User

2. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  3. Right Click context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right Click context menu: How to restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 as default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-context-menu/cdfdc643-2248-4080-9d73-4685d6fdbe15
  4. Right Click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click Context Menu: Is there a way to edit it? Mine has things I don't need. Also, is there a way to add things too? And if can't edit. just rearrange the order of the actions. Win10 Pro submitted by /u/Frankie_Hollywood [link] [comments]...
  5. Right Click Context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Context menu.: How can I change the size of the right click context menu? And can somebody tell me why the context menu changes its size automatically. Right now its showing like thispicture attached, earlier the width was less. [IMG]...
  6. Right-click Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Right-click Context Menu: I click on ads on some websites and gadgets to give revenue to the service provider. Generally, I want to right-click, then click on 'Open Link in New Tab'. More and more, right-clicking is acting like left-clicking and taking me to the ad site in the current tab or doing...
  7. Right Click Context Menu Glitch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click Context Menu Glitch: If I Right Click in File Explorer or on Desktop and hover over "New," The Menu Freezes as does file explorer and will hang for around 30 seconds to one minute. Very Frustrating and hope it can be fixed!...
  8. Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows: How to: Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows How to Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 A context menu is a graphical user interface (GUI) that appears when you right click or press and hold on an item...
  9. Right Click context menu sloooow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Right Click context menu sloooow: I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS on my self built system. It's been working great for years but recently I have notice when right clicking on any file in File Explorer or on the desktop it takes up to 30 seconds for the context menu to appear. I have read other posts about...
  10. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. right click new freezes not working