Windows 10: Right part of laptop keyboard is not working. Is it a software problem or hardware problem ?

Discus and support Right part of laptop keyboard is not working. Is it a software problem or hardware problem ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello there, my problem started last Tuesday night when suddenly I found my Dell XPS15 9350 keyboard buttons typing extra letters whenever I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cairo 7, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Cairo 7 Win User

Right part of laptop keyboard is not working. Is it a software problem or hardware problem ?

hello there,

my problem started last Tuesday night when suddenly I found my Dell XPS15 9350 keyboard buttons typing extra letters whenever I try to type anything from the right side of the keyboard for example if I typed "P" I get "IOP" and so on.

Then on Wednesday, I found in the morning that the whole right side of the keyboard of the laptop along with tabs, caps locks , ctrl , win and arrows do not work.

I followed everything piece of advice about the keyboard malfunctions I found here in the community and other forums and websites.

The touchpad works, I tried to uninstall and install the keyboard driver several times and it did nothing. I download the touchpad keyboard's latest update from dell and it did nothing.

I bought a wireless keyboard which currently I am using. The touchpad works fine, the left side works fine too except X letter

I found this in Dell support forum but it is for another laptop model and my battery is built-in but I gave it a try on my own way.

https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...&acd=2399248261629868&VEN3=411205108161269877

I let the battery drain and I did that 15 seconds click to reset the BIOS and voila it worked but only last night

Now we are back to the old complete right side that does not work at all. I tried the battery drain but it did not work this time.

My laptop gets overheated sometimes and I wonder if it is part of the problem or it is a BIOS problem despite the BIOS is updated to its latest version.

Is it hardware problem or software BIOS problem?

The last update I received from Windows 10 was on 12/9/2019 and it was the September KB4515384

:)

Cairo 7, Sep 23, 2019

2. Problem trackpad and keyboard sometimes don't work at startup.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type
      troubleshooting

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View all on the top left corner.

• Click Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the Touchpad and Keyboard drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to uninstall the Touchpad and Keyboard drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.

• Right-click on the Touchpad device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.

• Select the option to Delete driver software.

• Follow the same steps to uninstall keyboard driver.

• Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset, touchpad and keyboard drivers.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 23, 2019
  3. Keyboards from my HP Laptop and my MSI gt70 Dominator.!!

Hi Brain,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to access the keyboard keys on your laptop. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you have made any changes to the device (hardware/ software) prior to this issue?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your device?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated drivers. Use the working external keyboard to try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 3: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 23, 2019
  4. Right part of laptop keyboard is not working. Is it a software problem or hardware problem ?

Keyboard problem in Windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to check if the issue persists when you connect another keyboard to your system.

If the issue is with the keyboard, then suggest you to update the keyboard drivers by following the steps below.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.

• Expand ‘Keyboard’ from the list.

• Right click on the driver and select ‘update driver software’ and follow the prompts.

Hope the information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

Right part of laptop keyboard is not working. Is it a software problem or hardware problem ?

1. Right part of laptop keyboard is not working. Is it a software problem or hardware problem ? - Similar Threads - Right part laptop

2. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Finding for Hardware and Software Problems: Hi! I want to find and check whether are there any issues in my windows 10 PC's hardware and software. What is the best and the most appropriate way to do this and give out the 100% correct problems in my hardware and software......
  3. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding for Hardware and Software Problems: Hi! I want to find and check whether are there any issues in my windows 10 PC's hardware and software. What is the best and the most appropriate way to do this and give out the 100% correct problems in my hardware and software......
  4. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software?: I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop. When I insert a "new" DVD, then try to open it, I get message: "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:\. Make sure the disk uses a format the windows recognizes. If the disk is unformatted, you need to format it before using it"....
  6. Multiple hardware/software problems

Multiple hardware/software problems: I'm having multiple hardware a software problems now including: One of my 3.0 drives disconnecting and reconnecting. Morse beeps and different volumes. Sudden lag spikes. Broken copy and pasting. Overheating problems My computer charger and battery has recently been...
  7. Unsure if it is software or hardware problem...

Unsure if it is software or hardware problem...: When starting my laptop the screen goes black before it finishes loading, unless I unplug the power source, then it comes back on. Plug it in and it goes out, unplug and it comes back on. Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? It is an older Lenovo laptop, probably...
  8. Partition Hidden: Hardware Problem or Software Problem?

Partition Hidden: Hardware Problem or Software Problem?: Yesterday, I published a 3 x 6 feet banner in Office Publisher, saved it into PDF and PNG format and shutdown my laptop. After a few minutes, I turned on my laptop to edit these files. When my laptop turned on, I didn't see two partitions (Disk D and Disk E) but Disk C where...
  9. Laptop Hardware (?) problems

Laptop Hardware (?) problems: One of my machines is a HP probook 6550b. This has done well over many years use. Recently it has started running the fan at a higher speed than normal - although the heat from the exit is only very mildly warm - therefore I do not think it to be a heat issue. Yes I have...
  10. Hardware problem - Need to replace a part

Hardware problem - Need to replace a part: Hi everyone, One of my computers has had hardware issues for a while where the computer would freeze once a week or once a month. It was bearable. However, I recently tried to update one of my programs, malwarebytes, and then my operating system ended up failing to load...