Windows 10: Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on.

Discus and support Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've had this issue for a while. What happens is that if i turn num lock on (which lets me use the numpad's numbers) the right side of the letter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by turboHonk, Mar 13, 2019.

1. turboHonk Win User

Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on.

I've had this issue for a while. What happens is that if i turn num lock on (which lets me use the numpad's numbers) the right side of the letter keyboard turns into different characters (the letter "o" changes to a 5, ";" changes to a "+" ,and so on).

Sometimes the problem will fix after a shutdown or restart with the numlock off. But then it will come back at another boot. If i uninstall the device and plug the keyboard back in it fixes but after a restart it happens again. Any ideas?

:)

turboHonk, Mar 13, 2019

2. Special characters not working with keyboard that do not have Num Lock

I recently got a new laptop and the keyboard doesn't have the NUM LOCK. According to Microsoft, I need to have the NUM LOCK on if I want to use the shortcuts for special characters. For example, I can make the registered trademark by pressing (ALT+0174) ®
    but if I try on my laptop, that doesn't have NUM LOCK, nothing will happen.

Gary Bitsicas, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Kris Ver Win User
    NUM Lock issue

Hi Karl,

The status of the NUM LOCK key is specific for each user, and NUM LOCK is disabled by default. If you want the NUM LOCK key enabled for use before a user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on, you must use Registry Editor to change the default behavior.

To enable NUM LOCK before a user logs on, follow these steps:

• Run Registry Editor.
    • Move to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.
    • Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

IMPORTANT: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: How to back up and restore the registry in Window.

Kindly update us with the result.

Kris Ver, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on.

Special characters not working with keyboard that do not have Num Lock

1. See if you have a num lock key setting in Bios. It will be in Boot > Boot Settings.

2. Try these steps.

Start > .type keyboard.

Select on screen keyboard

Click options key on keyboard (this makes the numpad appear)

Click num lock

Now try pressing Alt + numbers on system keyboard, not the onscreen one.

3. You can Map Num Lockkey. See tutorial.

http://imajeenyus.com/computer/20120531_keypad_...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Smittychat., Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on.

1. Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on. - Similar Threads - Right side keyboard

2. Num lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    Num lock: bios numlock is on, registry in default user is set to 2 as well as specific users, as they look date formatted i dont think it matters, but they were all 0 so i changed them all num lock turns off every time i log in. why doesn't microsoft listen to the bios setting, or...
  3. Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key

Keyboard Settings for Num Lock Key: My Num-Lock key resets to "Off" when the computer is "Shut Down". . My password requires an ASCII character, and having the Num-Lock off while trying to enter the Windows password is a problem. It takes a few unsuccessful attempts before I remember the Num-Lock is off. ....
  4. Num Lock on Keyboard

Num Lock on Keyboard: I am using a wireless Logitech K800 keyboard. Every time the computer in started or rebooted, the num lock is disingaged. According to Logitech, this is controlled and caused by Windows. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks....
  5. Num lock keyboard not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Num lock keyboard not working: Hey So when i try to type any number on keyboard from the numlock side nothing appears and the numlock key is activated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-keyboard-not-working/725703de-aaa0-4d62-9618-4803ac0a48d1
  6. num lock

num lock: My num lock and the number keys on the far right of the keyboard do not work while on the internet. They work normally if not. I can not use the keys to include them in an email. Need some help. By the way the number keys on the top of the keyboard work in both formats....
  7. Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on.

in Windows 10 Support
    Right side of keyboard has its characters changed when num lock is on.: I've had this issue for a while. What happens is that if i turn num lock on (which lets me use the numpad's numbers) the right side of the letter keyboard turns into different characters (the letter "o" changes to a 5, ";" changes to a "+" ,and so on). Sometimes the problem...
  8. Special characters not working with keyboard that do not have Num Lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Special characters not working with keyboard that do not have Num Lock: I recently got a new laptop and the keyboard doesn't have the NUM LOCK. According to Microsoft, I need to have the NUM LOCK on if I want to use the shortcuts for special characters. For example, I can make the registered trademark by pressing (ALT+0174) ® but if I try on my...
  9. Change characters on keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Change characters on keyboard: My keyboard changes characters from ie hash to £. I started recently. How do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/change-characters-on-keyboard/719f7438-ff2c-4bf6-b843-b4ac9ffcc573
  10. Num lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221