Windows 10: Risk level if no SSL possible on domain host's mail servers?

Discus and support Risk level if no SSL possible on domain host's mail servers? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I posted this in e-mails, but it probably better belongs here since the question relates to security. Probably a hugely basic question, but while... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ondablade, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ondablade Win User

Risk level if no SSL possible on domain host's mail servers?

I posted this in e-mails, but it probably better belongs here since the question relates to security.

Probably a hugely basic question, but while setting up some new addresses I've just figured out that my (Irish) hosting provider doesn't run SSL on their pop e-mail servers.

Guess I'm wondering just how much of a risk this might represent. I'm not so worried about the data in the mails (I don't send sensitive information), but I'd rather not find that I was being used to send spam or worse.

I'm on Mac Mail right now - but hope to switch to a notebook running Win 10 Prof in the coming week or so which might be a different scene. Mail pretty clearly regards SSL as more or less standard - it goes through a routine to get an OK to continue without it.

The Mac Mail has been consistently glitchy over the years - with mailboxes getting corrupted and having to be rebuilt, folders disappearing, and counters showing crazy numbers.

The latter somehow was sorted immediately after running the recenty installed Kaspersky internet security, and previously (for short periods only) following clean installs of the OS - which has tended to make me suspicious that I maybe had company. The local Mac service place has always poo pooed the possibility however.....

:)

ondablade, Sep 8, 2016
  2. Jimbo Mx Win User

Windows 10 setting up mail with Other Account and/or Advanced Setup result in syncing issues

I had this problem with my mail accounts.

I was able to fix it by setting the port required by my mail host in the "Incoming email server" and "Outgoing (SMTP) email server" boxes using port notation:

mail.domain.com:999 (substitute your email host domain and port)

Email hosts generally require customized port numbers, especially when dealing with SSL (secure) connections.

Jimbo Mx, Sep 8, 2016
  3. Abi99 (2) Win User
    Problems settings up emails on exchange

Your own domain? If yes, which product is that? Microsoft Exchange, domain and your own SSL in one package should be quite expensive.

Abi99 (2), Sep 8, 2016
Thema:

Risk level if no SSL possible on domain host's mail servers?

1. Risk level if no SSL possible on domain host's mail servers? - Similar Threads - Risk level SSL

2. "Service host: DCOM Server Process Launcher" consumes a high level of memoryCPU.

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Service host: DCOM Server Process Launcher" consumes a high level of memoryCPU.: I have a problem with "Service host: DCOM Server Process Launcher" it consumes a high level of memoryCPU. But when i put my laptop to safe mode it went from 70% to 0% cpu DCOM. There is nothing much in this mode so i can't work in it. i don't know what to do can i have some...
  3. "Service host: DCOM Server Process Launcher" consumes a high level of memoryCPU.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Service host: DCOM Server Process Launcher" consumes a high level of memoryCPU.: I have a problem with "Service host: DCOM Server Process Launcher" it consumes a high level of memoryCPU. But when i put my laptop to safe mode it went from 70% to 0% cpu DCOM. There is nothing much in this mode so i can't work in it. i don't know what to do can i have some...
  4. "Service host: DCOM Server Process Launcher" consumes a high level of memoryCPU.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Domain server and client not working when exported from Server 2019 to back-up host...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Domain server and client not working when exported from Server 2019 to back-up host...: submitted by /u/superdmp [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/me3vfz/domain_server_and_client_not_working_when/
  6. Domain host file problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Domain host file problem: Why does this simple Domain Host File not work!?! I only added 6 lines at the bottom so my browser goes to my router instead of the real website. All of these work EXCEPT for the last one. When I type homenas.com, it takes me to a weird site. Why? Please tell me why I am...
  7. Domain host file problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Domain host file problem: I'm wondering why my domain host file doesn't work with one of the lines I added. I recently read that you can change a file called the Domain Host File and the computer instead of listening to the DNS server, will go to the IP address that you state. I tried this and it...
  8. Google Registry announces new .page top-level domain with SSL

in Windows 10 News
    Google Registry announces new .page top-level domain with SSL: Today we’re announcing .page, the newest top-level domain (TLD) from Google Registry. A TLD is the last part of a domain name, like .com in “google.com” or .google in “blog.google” (the site you’re on right now). The .page TLD is a new opportunity for anyone to build an...
  9. Phishing / Scam E-mail re MS Changing SSL Server

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Phishing / Scam E-mail re MS Changing SSL Server: ALERT: This e-mail was in my Junk folder. It purported to have a Microsoft sender's address. The "To" indicated only "Recipient". It went to my Junk folder as a possible phishing, and I have reported it from my Junk folder. My research didn't show anything similar,...
  10. domain server problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    domain server problems: I have had windows 10 a couple weeks and if this issue had not starter a week before that I would blame 10. My internet cuts off at random times, sometimes just for seconds and sometimes I have to turn off modem and restart. At first the troubleshooter said dns problems,...