Windows 10: Risk of using Window 7 when Microsoft stop supporting it

Discus and support Risk of using Window 7 when Microsoft stop supporting it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If a desktop computer is running Windows 7 with Avast anti-virus pro & Zone Alarm. Would it be safe from hackers after Microsoft stop supporting Win 7?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mustang, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Mustang Win User

Risk of using Window 7 when Microsoft stop supporting it

If a desktop computer is running Windows 7 with Avast anti-virus pro & Zone Alarm. Would it be safe from hackers after Microsoft stop supporting Win 7?

:)

Mustang, Dec 28, 2019

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Risk of using Window 7 when Microsoft stop supporting it [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Dec 28, 2019
  3. dorsetknob, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Risk of using Window 7 when Microsoft stop supporting it - Similar Threads - Risk using Window

2. when windows 7 is no longer used? and what about applications that only support windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when windows 7 is no longer used? and what about applications that only support windows 7?: when windows 7 is no longer used? and what about applications that only support windows 7?rintiksedu.id https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-windows-7-is-no-longer-used-and-what-about/0538f340-e505-4623-81bc-dc630d69c664
  3. when windows 7 is no longer used? and what about applications that only support windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when windows 7 is no longer used? and what about applications that only support windows 7?: when windows 7 is no longer used? and what about applications that only support windows 7?rintiksedu.id https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-windows-7-is-no-longer-used-and-what-about/0538f340-e505-4623-81bc-dc630d69c664
  4. Microsoft sneaks Secure Boot support into Windows 7 shortly before support ends

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft sneaks Secure Boot support into Windows 7 shortly before support ends: Support for Extended Security Updates for Windows 7 is ending today officially. Microsoft will release a last cumulative update for Windows 7 on January 10, 2023 before the operating system is laid to rest. Users and organizations who run Windows 7 have a few options...
  5. The risks of staying with Windows 7 after End Of Life

in Windows 10 News
    The risks of staying with Windows 7 after End Of Life: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 7 was released way back in 2009, but there are still around 30% of users globally who still use this operating system. Windows 7 is one of the most successful OS from Microsoft, and it doesn’t surprise anyone why [...] This post The risks of staying...
  6. Windows 7 support

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 support: so i bought an original windows 7 disc 3 years ago and used it on my now broken gaming laptop i am planning on making a new pc on february this year but apparently windows 7 support will end this month, will i still be able to use my windows 7 key on my new pc and upgrade it...
  7. What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7?: What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7? * Original title: windows 7 ends support * Moved from Windows 7/Updates...
  8. How to stop Windows 7 End of Support Notifications

in Windows 10 News
    How to stop Windows 7 End of Support Notifications: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 7 is indeed a great operating system. Even after 3 years of Windows 10 release, it has been giving it a tough competition in terms of the market share it acquired. But everything good has an end. And with [...] This post How to stop Windows 7 End of...
  9. Would you pay Microsoft for extended Windows 7 support?

in Windows 10 News
    Would you pay Microsoft for extended Windows 7 support?: Windows 7 support ends in January 2020 and there is nothing that consumers and small business customers-- read non-Enterprise customers -- can do about it. Microsoft won't release security updates, any update to be precise, for consumer versions of Windows 7 after January...
  10. Risk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Risk: I just bought risk from the microsoft store on my pc and now it wont let me install it on my device. Is there anything i can change to make it install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/risk/31de6d96-8c96-4dfe-abff-b30f6ea70d14