Windows 10: RIVE showing 18 of 24 gb ram after de dusting and rebuild

Discus and support RIVE showing 18 of 24 gb ram after de dusting and rebuild in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i disassembled the computer to blow out dust and then i reassembled it. everything works only that the bios shows 18gb ram instead of 24 while cpu-z... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by m0nk3n, Oct 6, 2015.

1. m0nk3n Win User

RIVE showing 18 of 24 gb ram after de dusting and rebuild

i disassembled the computer to blow out dust and then i reassembled it. everything works only that the bios shows 18gb ram instead of 24 while cpu-z shows 24gb.

can it be fixed with a reseating of the cpu? or maybe take out all the ram sticks and try 1 and 1?

:)

m0nk3n, Oct 6, 2015
  2. patty0462 Win User

Windows 10 shows Installed RAM 24GB (16GB usable)

I am having the same problem. Under Windows 7 Pro, my RAM showed 24 GB, but as soon as I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, it only shows 16 GB RAM. Also, in System Info, I am only showing 16 GB Physical RAM installed. Yet, if I swap out my Windows 10 hard drive
    for my Windows 7 hard drive, the RAM shows 24 GB. I remember having to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro from Windows7 Home because the maximum RAM that would show under Windows 7 Home (at one time, anyway) was 16 GB. I am wondering if Windows 10 doesn't recognize
    all four of my DIMMs. I have 4 sticks of 6 GB, btw.

patty0462, Oct 6, 2015
  3. Usable RAM Far Less Than Installed

Hello,

Windows 10 properties shows 24.0 GB memory installed and 7.93 usable. 24 GB showing in BIOS, but not able to manipulate that. My system is as follows:

HP Pavilion 500-164 desktop

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit OS x64 based processor (upgraded from windows 8.1)

24 GB RAM installed (8x3) PNY XLR8 PC3-14900 (not overclocked)

AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon Graphics (chip graphics not used) 3.5 GHz

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40

Motherboard MS-7778 Jasmine(R)

UEFI BIOS AMI 80.51

MSConfig shows no designated maximum RAM. Using Norton Security.

How do I help Windows use all of my RAM?

Thanks

GregAtTheHouse, Oct 6, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Highly doubtful this has anything to do with the CPU. Most likely one or more of the memory modules is not fully inserted. It currently is enough to be recognized but not fully functional.

LMiller7, Oct 6, 2015
  5. m0nk3n Win User
    i also applied new thermal paste. while doing that i noticed a thin white line along the outer plastic wall and the pins on the cpu socket

m0nk3n, Oct 6, 2015
  6. fireberd Win User
    This is not a CPU problem, as previously noted. Possibly a BIOS reset is needed.

fireberd, Oct 6, 2015
  7. m0nk3n Win User
    ok. how do i do a bios reset? i have now reseated the memory sticks and it now shows 16gb. im using the 3 most left slots and the last slot to the right. i have tried with all of the slots and those are the ones that work.

i'm using only the 4x4gb kit now. and from left to right the only slots that work is 1,2,3 and 8.

m0nk3n, Oct 6, 2015
  8. fireberd Win User

Memory slots are in pairs. Your motherboard vendor should have the information on what are pairs. e.g. if you had 4 slots, usually starting from the left, slot 1 and 3 are a pair and slots 2 and 4 are a pair. You should install memory in pairs in the correct slots.

fireberd, Oct 6, 2015
  9. m0nk3n Win User
    DIMM_D1 and DIMM_D2 doesnt work at all. i tried putting a stick in D1 and it didnt boot. same with D2.

m0nk3n, Oct 6, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    This is an X79 board so it is intended for quad channel memory. (Not required, but that gives the best performance in principle.)

m0nk3n: if you have mislaid the paper manual, I recommend downloading the PDF from ASUS USA
    . That will show the allowed RAM configurations. I'm confused by how many DIMMs you have installed. Did you really have 12+16 GB showing up as 24 GB?

The Rampage IV Extreme has a BIOS reset button as part of the rear I/O panel. You don't have to open the case to clear the CMOS.

Good luck. I hope that the system isn't fubar.

bobkn, Oct 7, 2015
  11. m0nk3n Win User
    i have the manual. it said to put in D1 first but it didnt boot. no, i had 16 + 8 gb ddr3 showing as 24gb *Smile

i have 4 sticks with 4gb 1866mhz ddr3 and 4 sticks with 2gb 1600mhz ddr3.

m0nk3n, Oct 7, 2015
  12. bobkn Win User
    Groovy. If D1 is the slot recommended for placing a single DIMM, that's unfortunate.

If clearing the CMOS (also known as resetting the RTC) doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

If you have somehow damaged or contaminated the LGA (land grid array) pins in the CPU socket, I can't advise you on how to fix it. Those (nominally) 2011 pins must be fragile.

bobkn, Oct 7, 2015
  13. m0nk3n Win User

i'm already thinking about buying another RIVE or just upgrade to x99. but christmas is coming so wont be for awhile. i havent noticed any slow downs on the computer and after cleaning dust with a compressor for each component (no there is some thermal paste in the plastic wall of the cpu socket kinda barely touching the pins i'm afraid) temps for cpu dropped from 60 (max temp) to 30 (medium load). so i'm kinda happy that it works. i should have taken it to the parking over the road before blowing the dust, cause all the dust flew out of my case and straight into my appartment which i've been vacuumed all day.

and there is no led lights on the motherboard so i guess i got off easy. computer god must love me *Smile

i was thinking about using a toothpick to remove the paste on the lga. but it works now, so.... *Biggrin

m0nk3n, Oct 7, 2015
  14. m0nk3n Win User
    i removed the corsair dominator gt 4x2gb ddr3 1600mhz memory and the bsod is no more.. so a guarantee fix.. *Smile

m0nk3n, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. RIVE showing 18 of 24 gb ram after de dusting and rebuild - Similar Threads - RIVE showing ram

2. 3 GB of Ram used into nothing while having 8 GB RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 GB of Ram used into nothing while having 8 GB RAM: Why does my laptop just take 3 GB of ram out of nothing when i have 8 GB ram whats the issue??? My friend said that i could have someone mining bitcoin on my laptop...
  3. Why is my "Commited RAM" showing e,g.:9.2 GB/63.7 GB on 32 GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my "Commited RAM" showing e,g.:9.2 GB/63.7 GB on 32 GB RAM?: Recently upgrade my 16 GB DDR4 gaming laptop to 32 GB DDR4. I took it to a professional computer engineer to do so, so i am sure he has not done anything wrong.But as the title says, why is my 32 GB RAM showing the commited memory has a maximum of 63? Does this mean i can...
  4. Why is my "Commited RAM" showing e,g.:9.2 GB/63.7 GB on 32 GB RAM?

Why is my "Commited RAM" showing e,g.:9.2 GB/63.7 GB on 32 GB RAM?: Recently upgrade my 16 GB DDR4 gaming laptop to 32 GB DDR4. I took it to a professional computer engineer to do so, so i am sure he has not done anything wrong.But as the title says, why is my 32 GB RAM showing the commited memory has a maximum of 63? Does this mean i can...
  5. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  6. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  7. 18 GB of ram reserved, how can I make more of it available?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    18 GB of ram reserved, how can I make more of it available?: Hi, any assistance would b appreciated. I've just installed 2 additional sticks of ram, all 4 sticks are exactly the same type and I now should have a total of 32 GB of ram. However it's showing that 18 GB are reserved. How can I make more of this ram available? [ATTACH]...
  8. 8 gb ram installed only 4 showing

8 gb ram installed only 4 showing: Hello, I have a Lenovo ideapad 310 touch laptop with 8gb ram installed in the ram slot. The laptop came with the 8gb ram installed when it was purchased, this was not a modification. However, the system shows exactly 4.00 gb of ram when I click on about in settings. This is...
  9. My 16 GB Hynix RAM showing as a 48GB RAM

My 16 GB Hynix RAM showing as a 48GB RAM: Hi, I am useing 16GB HP SK hynix ram as mentioned a sticker on the ram, But when I checked in my computer it shows like 48 GB. May I know why it is happening. Tahnk you....
  10. RAM GB or Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM GB or Speed: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit RAM Which is better 16 GB At 3000 MHz Or 32 GB at 2133 MHz? 100968