Windows 10: RNDIS device gets randomly disconnected every few days

Discus and support RNDIS device gets randomly disconnected every few days in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; We have a custom USB Remote NDIS based network device using IPv6 communication. It works mostly very reliably on both Windows 10 and Windows 7 test... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Petteri Aimonen, Feb 1, 2021.

1. RNDIS device gets randomly disconnected every few days

We have a custom USB Remote NDIS based network device using IPv6 communication. It works mostly very reliably on both Windows 10 and Windows 7 test machines. However, on some machines the network connection gets dropped after a couple of days of operation.

Symptoms:

• When the problem does occur, it is usually a couple of hours after USB disconnect & reconnect.
    • Rebooting device fixes it for a few minutes, but then the connection drops again.
    • Rebooting Windows fixes it for a couple of days.
    • Disabling USB Selective Suspend fixes the issue on some machines, but not on others.

We have tried to debug this both using hardware USB analyzer, and using Windows ETW tracing.

In both of them we see the same behavior:

1. Traffic works fine

2. Suddenly PC stops sending packets, but continues polling some status information

3. PC puts bus into USB reset state and tries to recover, but apparently fails.

Full logs are available in private if needed.

My questions:

• What state could be persisting between USB disconnect and reconnect in the RNDIS driver, causing it to fail again faster until Windows reboot?
    • PC is sending packet "74 00 F6 00 6B 00 6F 00 6F 00 64 00" to USB endpoint 0 continuously. Our device always NACKs this. I haven't found any description of this packet in RNDIS documentation, does anyone know what it is? The UTF16 payload decodes to "t*kood".
    • We are collecting ETW trace with "logman update ndis -p {DD7A21E6-A651-46D4-B7C2-66543067B869} 0x88035f3 5 -ets"
      but it does not show anything useful about why Windows stops sending packets or why it resets the device. Is there some other trace GUID that can provide more details on that?

:)

Petteri Aimonen, Feb 1, 2021

2. Bluetooth adapter disconnects randomly. (NOT just devices.)

First of all, let me list all my specs.

ASUS ROG GL752VW

Intel core i7 6700 @ 2.6GHz

Windows 10x64

16GB RAM

Now my problem: my Bluetooth adapter seems to disconnect randomly and I have no idea why. Sometimes it will go months without ever disconnecting, and sometimes it disconnects and goes months without even working. The little icon disappears from my taskbar, and I am unable to use Bluetooth. My computer reports that I don't have bluetooth. I am not sure of the exact adapter but I do know it is Intel and that they are together. I never ever have any issues with WiFi however Bluetooth is just causing me all sorts of hell.
    I've tried all of the following things, so please don't suggest them...

Rebooting. Tried it multiple times

Reinstalling the drivers. With and without rebooting.

Uninstalling the device from Device Manager and reinstalling it.

"Repair"ing the driver from the installer.

Can anyone help me?

Thomas Sebestyen, Feb 1, 2021
  3. USB device randomly disconnecting

I have a Yamaha MG10XU audio mixer and for the past 3 months the mixer will randomly disconnect and the device manager says "the drivers for this device are not installed (code28). Then I can turn the mixer off and on it will work for a little bit then
    disconnect again.

WilliamPattison, Feb 1, 2021
  4. RNDIS device gets randomly disconnected every few days

RNDIS USB Modem Dongle is not working after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Hi,

Updated 1/31/18:

A fix for this issue was included in the
    January 31, 2018 Windows Update (KB4058258)
    . If you are experiencing this issue, please install the latest Windows Updates.

If the issue continues after installing the update, you may need to uninstall and reinstall your Remote NDIS network adapter using Device Manager:

• Open Device Manager. To do this, press and hold (or right-click) the Start Menu icon and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Network adapters and find an entry for the Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    • Right click Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device and select
      Uninstall device.
    • Select Network adapters and then select Action and then
      Scan for hardware changes.

Note:

• Ensure that the RNDIS device is plugged in on the PC's USB when performing these steps.
    • If the RNDIS device is moved to another USB port, these steps will need to be repeated.

(Original postRNDIS device gets randomly disconnected every few days :)

Microsoft is aware of reports of problems with RNDIS USB network adapters after installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. We are working on the problem and hope to have a solution released in a future Windows Update.
    We will update this thread when the fix is released. Until then, these steps should help you recover your modem functionality:

Notes:

• KB4051963 (OS Build 16299.98) must be installed before performing these steps.
      • To confirm OS build, go to Start > Settings >
        System > About.
      • To install the update, go to Start > Settings >
        Update & security > Windows Update, click
        Check for updates
        , then install any available updates.
    • Ensure that the RNDIS device is plugged in on the PC's USB when performing these steps.
    • If the RNDIS device is moved to another USB port, these steps will need to be repeated.

Step 1: Open Device Manager. To do this, press and hold (or right-click) the Start Menu icon and select Device Manager.

Step 2: Expand Network adapters and find an entry for the
    Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.

Step 3: Right click Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device and select
    Update Driver.

Step 4: Select Browse my computer for driver software.

Step 5: Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers for my computer.

Step 6: Click Have Disk.

Step 7: In the “Copy manufacturer’s files from:” field, enter c:\windows\inf
    and click OK.

Step 8: Uncheck the box for “Show compatible Hardware”.

Step 9: In the left pane, select Microsoft as the manufacturer, and in the right pane, select
    USB RNDIS Adapter as the model. Click Next.

Step 10: You should now receive an “Update Driver Warning”. Select
    Yes to continue installing this driver.

Step 11: Click Close.

Regards.

Jestoni Mac, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

RNDIS device gets randomly disconnected every few days

1. RNDIS device gets randomly disconnected every few days - Similar Threads - RNDIS device gets

2. Wi-fi keeps getting disconnected randomly. Could be every few seconds or few minutes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi keeps getting disconnected randomly. Could be every few seconds or few minutes.: So I have had this issue with my pc for several months now and I have just been dealing with it. But basically my wi if connection will just disconnect for a few seconds at a time 1-10 and then reconnect. Sometimes it won’t happen for an hour, sometimes it will happen every...
  3. I get BSOD every few days.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I get BSOD every few days.: i9 12900K/RTX 3080/64GB DDR4Here are these dumps.https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt5mrzbxhje9cbb/minidump.zip?dl=0Hope someone help me find the reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-get-bsod-every-few-days/2fd7fa56-0609-48f4-8548-7f40081c270a
  4. I get BSOD every few days.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I get BSOD every few days.: i9 12900K/RTX 3080/64GB DDR4Here are these dumps.https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt5mrzbxhje9cbb/minidump.zip?dl=0Hope someone help me find the reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-get-bsod-every-few-days/2fd7fa56-0609-48f4-8548-7f40081c270a
  5. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  6. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSODs every few days: For the past few months I've been random BSODs for seemingly no reason, the computer isn't being stressed or doing anything 'unique' at the time it happens, the BSOD errors include : 01/06/23 : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA01/03/23 : Memory Management : WARNING: Unable to...
  7. Random BSODs every few days

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Devices randomly disconnecting every hour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices randomly disconnecting every hour: Every hour or so all devices disconnect and I have to refresh the browser as well. For example I have my wireless headphones connected, wired controller connected and playing a game on screen 1 and watching youtube on screen 2. Every 1h-1h30 my controller and headphones...
  9. Getting BSODs Every Few Days

Getting BSODs Every Few Days: Hi, For the past 6 months I have been getting the odd BSOD on Windows 10. I've updated all drivers I could think of and have run MemTest several times even overnight but my memory always passes with no errors. My hardware: CPU: Ryzen 3700X Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus...
  10. BSOD every few hours or few days - very random

BSOD every few hours or few days - very random: I added a new video card so I could add a new 4K Dell P2715Q monitor with my current Dell 2407 WFP. The card is a PNY nVidia quadro k620. When I added them I still had Windows 7. Started getting random BSOD with various reasons indicated such as "driver IRQL not less or...