Windows 10: Roaming Aggression unavailable on Surface 5 and 6?

Discus and support Roaming Aggression unavailable on Surface 5 and 6? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I support about 325 Surface Pro's for retail salespersons across 10 locations. Our wireless in a retail setting can be a bit challenging as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoeyGottinger, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Roaming Aggression unavailable on Surface 5 and 6?

Hello,

I support about 325 Surface Pro's for retail salespersons across 10 locations. Our wireless in a retail setting can be a bit challenging as our sales staff move around retail floors and we find that as they travel away from an access point and pass another, they are not being handed off to that AP. The sales staff are using Surface 5's and 6's.. I followed Microsoft's advice from their page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/surface-wireless-connect but those options are not available on our Surface 5's and 6's for adjusting Roaming agression on the wireless card.

However, I find it available on a test Surface X that we're evaluating. Is there a workaround for the Surface 5's and 6's or, even better yet, an effective solution. When I adjusted the Surface X to Medium High, I had no handoff issues whatsoever across a 180k SqFt retail space.

:)

JoeyGottinger, Apr 9, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

Roaming aggressiveness doesn't change anything

Hello _gjg,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Roaming aggressiveness is the rate at which your device selects and switches to the nearest available point of access, offering a better signal. The Sensitivity depends on the signal strength and quality, not on the distance to the Wi-Fi point.

In this scenario, you might want to reset roaming aggressiveness to check if it works out for you. To do reset, you will have to run a PowerShell command.

To check the existing value of Roaming Aggressiveness run the below command from an Administrative PowerShell Command prompt.

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Windows PowerShell (Admin) and type the command as : Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty –Name “Wi-Fi”
    • Make sure to change the Wi-Fi string to what your adapter is called.

To set Roaming Aggressiveness, execute the following commands from Administrative PowerShell Commands.

• Set-NetAdapteradvancedProperty -Name “Wi-Fi” -DisplayName “Roaming Aggressiveness” –DisplayValue “1. Lowest”

• Set-NetAdapteradvancedProperty -Name “Wi-Fi” -DisplayName “Roaming Aggressiveness” –DisplayValue “5. Highest”

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Apr 9, 2020
  3. TimmaSki Win User
    Change Roaming Aggressiveness on Windows 8 Phone

Hi,

Thanks for your answer Karolina, I apprecaite it Roaming Aggression unavailable on Surface 5 and 6? :)

I was, however, asking if it's possible to alter the roaming aggressiveness on the Windows 8 phone.

Thanks, Tim

TimmaSki, Apr 9, 2020
  4. TimmaSki Win User

Roaming Aggression unavailable on Surface 5 and 6?

Change Roaming Aggressiveness on Windows 8 Phone

Hi,

My friend has a Windows 8 Nokia phone (Nokia 532 I think) in Student Accommodation that is between two Access Points.

The device is roaming between the two access points that are broadcasting the same SSID.

This causes an intermittent connection, sometimes causing a self assigned IPv4 Address.

I was wondering if there was any way to lower the roaming aggressiveness on this device, and if so, how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

TimmaSki, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

Roaming Aggression unavailable on Surface 5 and 6?

1. Roaming Aggression unavailable on Surface 5 and 6? - Similar Threads - Roaming Aggression unavailable

2. Surface Pro 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 5: Doing the windows 11 update via USB it states that processor is not compatible. The computer is only 3 years old, not sure I would buy another if it is out of date that quick!Its not like it is a ASUS or Dell laptop, it is a Microsoft product. Why haven't you continued...
  3. Surface Pro 5

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 5: Doing the windows 11 update via USB it states that processor is not compatible. The computer is only 3 years old, not sure I would buy another if it is out of date that quick!Its not like it is a ASUS or Dell laptop, it is a Microsoft product. Why haven't you continued...
  4. Failed to install on ‎5/‎6/‎2021 - 0x8007045b 5/6/2021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed to install on ‎5/‎6/‎2021 - 0x8007045b 5/6/2021: Hi guys today I checked for Microsoft update but suddenly an error occurred which is 0x8007045b 5/6/2021. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus. Anyone with the same issue like me? Thank you for replies....
  5. microsoft surface pro 5 and 6 are incompatable with Apple AirPods Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft surface pro 5 and 6 are incompatable with Apple AirPods Pro: THIS IS A WARNING NOT A QUESTION. I have tried to fix this **** for months. Nothing works and it never will. ! ! ! W A R N I N G ! ! ! DO NOT BUY AIRPODS PRO IF YOU WANT TO USE THEM ON A SURFACE PRO computer. Every two nights I have to uninstall the Marvell...
  6. Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Over-aggressive band steer 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz?: One of my users has recently experienced bad WiFi-connectivity. At boot, all was good; though after some time the number of quarter-circles indicating field strength went down, and connections became bad, at times making video conferencing MS teams lousy to impossible. I...
  7. Surface Pro 6 - Sleep Unavailable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Pro 6 - Sleep Unavailable: I have a Surface Pro 6 that is fully up to date. My wife also has the exact same computer which we purchased at the same time. Mine does not have the Sleep option available. I have tried going into advanced power options but there is no option to tick the box for sleep on my...
  8. New Surface Pro 5 and Surface Pro 6 firmware for Windows 10 - Aug. 29

in Windows 10 News
    New Surface Pro 5 and Surface Pro 6 firmware for Windows 10 - Aug. 29: The following updates are available for all Surface Pro (5th Gen) devices running Windows 10 April 2018 Update, version 1803 or greater: The following updates are available for all Surface Pro 6 devices running Windows 10 April 2018 Update, version 1803 or greater: Windows...
  9. Roaming aggressiveness doesn't change anything

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Roaming aggressiveness doesn't change anything: Hello. I'm having trouble with my wifi signal when roaming between range extenders. I have one main router and 3 range exenders; let's call them extender A, extender B, and extender C. The router feeds both extender A and B, and extender A feeds extender C. When I...
  10. Surface Pro 6?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 6?: What DVD CD external unit is recommended for my new Surface Pro 6? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-6/ae634952-a688-4247-85d7-780381370a9a