Windows 10: robocopy backup of important files

Discus and support robocopy backup of important files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by robocop, Sep 20, 2016.

1. robocop Win User

robocopy backup of important files

hi,

I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC.

I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture all my data. Are there any other folders you think I should backup?

I've excluded the 'AppData' folder as this seems to have a lot of stuff which is not data. Is that OK or do you think that should be backed up? Are there any other folders you think I should skip?

Thank you very much for your comments.

:)

robocop, Sep 20, 2016

2. SyncTOy

IMO and based on my research, SyncToy is very unreliable. In my Windows 10 system, it doesn't sync new files/folders. Moreover, it deletes files and folders in the destination even though I've set it to "Echo", and the source files and folders are intact.
    This is dangerous.

I switched to the command-line tool Robocopy which supports the /MIR (mirror) argument to create a mirror folder and subfolders, exactly the same as source folder.

RoboCopy Command-line examples

robocopy "d:\backup" "F:\WD-Elements\backup" /MIR

To exclude a file type (example *.bmp) from being Synced:

robocopy "c:\users\ramesh\Desktop" "F:\WD-Elements\Desktop" /MIR /XF file *.bmp

Get used to RoboCopy, and you'll certainly love it. It's a fantastic tool. You can save the commands to a .CMD or .BAT file and set it to run from Startup folder or Schedule it, or start manually.

Robocopy - Help

Robocopy

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 20, 2016
  3. KingNeil2 Win User
    Robocopy backup won't work

I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line:

robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e

This command works fine on my laptop

But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason

It just shows the very command that I typed over and over again repeating the command over and over on a new line each time, and it doesn't copy the files. There is no explanation for why.

On the other hand, using Windows Backup / File History works just fine, but I don't want to use Windows Backup because I don't like the format that the files are saved in.

Why isn't Robocopy working? How do I solve this?

KingNeil2, Sep 20, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Unless you have a lot of data putting everything on Google drive or ondrive is the best option there both free giving up to 20 gigs just save to that folder and it will sync on its own. A local hd is ok but if you have a fire, flood or robed its gone the cloud you can go anywhere in the world and get it and if you get a new pc it will all come back on its own without you doing anything. You can get a gui for robocopy now http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght2006_11.exe

Samuria, Sep 20, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Long ago I wrote myself a batch file to automate using Robocopy to back up my data. Since my Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10 I continue to use it. It's now quite sophisticated and accepts command line parameters for things like specifying the drive to back up to, the name of the backup directory to create and whether to do a full or incremental backup.

At the heart of the full backup are the commands:
    Where:
    %mybackupdrive% is, by default the UNC path to a network drive, unless I specify another drive in the command line.

%1 is the name of the backup, I use names of the form YYYY-MM-DD so I don't loose track (plus File Explorer's 'sort by name' puts them in date-order).

/xjd
    is required to prevent infinite recursion of directories caused by junction points.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...sting-bug.html

/r:0 prevents seemingly endless retries on any locked files.

attrib +A *.* /s along with Robocopy ... /m is the key to doing incremental backups. First the archive attribute is set for al files, Then the full backup backs up all files which have their archive attribute set and clears it. For an incremental backup the attrib command is skipped so that only new/modified files will be copied (they're the only ones with an archive attribute) .

As to what else to backup, well you may want to reconsider excluding all of AppData. Almost all your software keeps their configuration settings there. For instance, your Firefox profile, extensions and bookmarks are in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

PS: for a 'belt and braces' approach, I also have my File History pointing to my network drive.

You can never have enough backups. *Biggrin

6. robocop Win User
    thanks Samuria, the cloud suggestion was a good idea, however I have a lot of photos so for now I'll just back up to a hard drive which I keep at a remote location.

Bree, thanks very much for your tips and suggestions.

A friend suggested I use the mirror flag /mir do you know if there's any disadvantage to using that as opposed to using the attrib command? I think the mirror ensures that only recently changed files are copied.

robocop, Sep 20, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    I just used /m because in the early version of my batch file I had used Xcopy rather than RoboCopy - the /m switch works much the same in both, so it got carried over (I've used Xcopy since it was introduced in Dos 3.2, some 30 years ago). The mirror flag /mir should work just as well (if not better) but I haven't tried it (yet), so can't comment. Here's what the author of RoboCopy had to say about /mir ...
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...e-permissions/

8. robocop Win User

Thanks Bree, I used DOS that came with Windows 3.11 but I don't think that was version 3.2!

robocop, Sep 22, 2016
  9. Try3 Win User
    Robocop,

You are comparing chalk & cheese. The /mir switch has nothing to do with file attributes. The /m switch does. /mir Mirrors a directory tree
    /m Copies only files for which the Archive attribute is set, and resets the Archive attribute.
    Switches such as the /m switch operate on the source to select which files RoboCopy chooses to work with on that occasion.

The /mir switch operates on the destination instead. It tells RoboCopy to update files on the destination from the source [where the source has newer ones] and to delete files on the destination that no longer exist in the source.

So if you RoboCopy source files abcd then you will have abcd on the destination as well
    but if you later delete d from the source you will still have d on the destination.
    Results after next RoboCopy -
    d will stay on the destination if you RoboCopy with the /m switch
    d will be deleted from the destination if you RoboCopy with the /mir switch

The /mir switch can be very useful.
    1 I use RoboCopy /mir as part of my backup regime. It creates a complete mirror image of all my files on the external HDD that I connect for that backup. If my computers ever failed or the place went up in flames then I could restore all my own folders & files just as they had been at the time the last RoboCopy was made.
    2 I also use RoboCopy /mir as part of my network syncing routine.

Denis

10. robocop Win User
    Denis, thank you very much for the explanation. /mir is perfect for me. Cheers

robocop, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. robocopy backup of important files - Similar Threads - robocopy backup important

2. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  3. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  4. Backup and compare with robocopy not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and compare with robocopy not working: I've backed up the Windows folder from a Windows 10 boot drive with robocopy F:\Windows E:\roboRubi\Windowsz /mir Both source and target drives are attached to internal SATA ports. None of the two drives (source and target) is the boot drive I'm booted into. I'm using an...
  5. Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok?

Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok?: Hi there! I would like to do an offline image backup of my OS-drive. I'm only interested in the OS itself. The data is backed up separately (and resides on a different drive). For high security, I'd like to avoid using any third party software. I will be installing win 10...
  6. Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile: I am unable to either backup this file using File History, or copy it using a Robocopy script. Robocopy simply "skips" it, according to the result of the script from the cmd command. I suspect is has to do with all the permissions requirements, but have made sure I log in...
  7. How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy

How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy: I've been using Synctoy for years to backup my files, mainly to save time since we're talking about TBs here. Now, I would like to switch to Robocopy because I want to enable the Image Guardian in Macrium Reflect and Robocopy can bypass it, plus I've read around that it's...
  8. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup with robocopy file count and size are different: I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful. After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big discrepancy in file size and count eating up the space on my external drive? See attached screenshot: [ATTACH] If I compare...
  9. Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.

Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.: I want to run Robocopy to copy my Money 2005 file every shutdown, I know Money has a backup facility but when my wife runs Money on her laptop (Using Homegroup) there is always a backup conflict with my PC and if I open Money and try to backup I get the same problem in...
  10. Robocopy backup won't work

Robocopy backup won't work: I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e This command works fine on my laptop But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason It...