Windows 10: Robocopy backup won't work

Discus and support Robocopy backup won't work in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KingNeil, Nov 6, 2017.

1. KingNeil Win User

Robocopy backup won't work

I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line:

robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e

This command works fine on my laptop

But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason

It just shows the very command that I typed over and over again repeating the command over and over on a new line each time, and it doesn't copy the files. There is no explanation for why.

On the other hand, using Windows Backup / File History works just fine, but I don't want to use Windows Backup because I don't like the format that the files are saved in.

Why isn't Robocopy working? How do I solve this?

:)

KingNeil, Nov 6, 2017
  2. KingNeil2 Win User

Wow. That was a quick answer.

That worked just fine. I did indeed have a file called "robocopy.bat". I renamed it to "backup.bat" and now it works just fine.

Thank you.

KingNeil2, Nov 6, 2017
  3. KingNeil2 Win User

I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line:

robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e

This command works fine on my laptop

But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason

It just shows the very command that I typed over and over again repeating the command over and over on a new line each time, and it doesn't copy the files. There is no explanation for why.

On the other hand, using Windows Backup / File History works just fine, but I don't want to use Windows Backup because I don't like the format that the files are saved in.

Why isn't Robocopy working? How do I solve this?

KingNeil2, Nov 6, 2017
  4. Robocopy backup won't work

Change your destination directory to something other than robocopy and it should work.

cyberrufus, Nov 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Robocopy backup won't work - Similar Threads - Robocopy backup won't

2. How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I backup files with Robocopy instead of Synctoy: I've been using Synctoy for years to backup my files, mainly to save time since we're talking about TBs here. Now, I would like to switch to Robocopy because I want to enable the Image Guardian in Macrium Reflect and Robocopy can bypass it, plus I've read around that it's...
  3. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup with robocopy file count and size are different: I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful. After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big discrepancy in file size and count eating up the space on my external drive? See attached screenshot: [ATTACH] If I compare...
  4. Robocopy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Robocopy: I like Robocopy and used it for a long time but after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it got in a loop when I tried to back up via the Documents and Settings Junction. I know that I didn’t change permissions on this folder. But If I try to open it, I get "Access...
  5. Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied"

Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied": I'm trying to backup a directory on my laptop to my NAS with a script : robocopy D:\Videos "Z:\Shared Videos" /MIR /XJ When I run the script, I get the error message "Access is denied." However, in the File Explorer I can drag-and-drop files to the NAS. Also with iPhone...
  6. Tough Command Line Backup using Robocopy or Xcopy

Tough Command Line Backup using Robocopy or Xcopy: I must backup my BSOD'd PC from the command line before re-installing Windows 10, but Robocopy is glacially slow and Xcopy emits"Insufficient Memory" (due to long pathnames). I am now running Windows 10 from a USB 3.0 drive downloaded from MSft which brought me to [Install...
  7. Need some critique on my backup plans using robocopy

Need some critique on my backup plans using robocopy: I am trying to make better file backups. So in order to have different backup frequencies on different files, I decided to write scripts to run robocopy to perform the backups (I'm running these scripts manually using scheduler to display reminders). Here is what I came up...
  8. robocopy backup of important files

robocopy backup of important files: hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC. I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture...
  9. Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.

Run Robocopy to backup file on shutdown, does not seem to work.: I want to run Robocopy to copy my Money 2005 file every shutdown, I know Money has a backup facility but when my wife runs Money on her laptop (Using Homegroup) there is always a backup conflict with my PC and if I open Money and try to backup I get the same problem in...
  10. Using RoboCopy

in Windows 10 Support
    Using RoboCopy: I'm trying to use RoboCopy to backup my data files to a USB stick and External HDD. I created a folder in each destination called DataBackup and run the following command. robocopy "d:\datafiles" "e:\databackup /e Problem is it doesn't copy to that folder. It simply...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. robocopy want work