Windows 10: Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion

Discus and support Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My command is: Code: ROBOCOPY C:\Users\mikei\Documents J:\HP.Files /MIR /XD "C:\Users\mikei\Documents\FeedbackHub" "C:\Users\mikei\Documents\Cyberlink"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikeincousa, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion

My command is:
    Code: ROBOCOPY C:\Users\mikei\Documents J:\HP.Files /MIR /XD "C:\Users\mikei\Documents\FeedbackHub" "C:\Users\mikei\Documents\Cyberlink" /v /tee /ts /log:"I:\log.HP.temp.txt" [/quote] Have I made an error again?

Earlier I tried to run a similar command as User.
    It produced a destination file named “Documents”.

So I tried again as PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    I got the same results on the destination side. “Documents.”

Thinking I had missed something I went to delete the destination “Documents” folder and try again.

At..Aare you sure you want to delete... the prompt showed the correct folder name "HP.Files."

So why is W10 changing my specified destination name in the properties and destination, and keeping it for the delete operation?

I still had the first User run on a different drive. Same problem: a conflict between the destination displayed name and the Properties name, and the name in the delete operation.

How can I get the right name to appear in the destination?

Everything else beside the name seems to working okay.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

:)

mikeincousa, Sep 23, 2018
  2. Russm4226 Win User

When using RoboCopy in Windows 10, I sometimes get errors when I specify a LogFile and RoboCopy Aborts

I use the following script for all of my RoboCopy functions, the only changes being made are to the SourceDrive, DestinationDrive and Folder variables.

REM - Backup ProgramData to Drive N:

REM ********* Set Source and Destination Drives **********

SET SourceDrive=C:

SET DestinationDrive=N:

REM ******************************************************

REM ***** Generate Source and Destination Folders ********

SET Folder=ProgramData

SET Source=%SourceDrive%\%Folder%

SET Destination=%DestinationDrive%\%Folder%

SET LogFile=/LOG:%Destination%\Xfer_%Folder%.log

REM ******************************************************
    REM - Pause - Ready to backup %SourceDrive%\%Folder% Files to the N: Drive?

robocopy "%Source%" "%Destination%" "%LogFile%" /MT:16 /MIR /SEC /XA:SH /XX /R:0 /W:0 /V

REM - robocopy "%Source%" "%Destination%" /MT:16 /MIR /SEC /XA:SH /XX /R:0 /W:0 /V

REM - notepad.exe %Destination%\Xfer_%Folder%.log

Pause - Completed Backup

It gets to the RoboCopy command: -

C:\WINDOWS\system32>robocopy "C:\ProgramData" "N:\ProgramData" "/LOG:N:\ProgramData\Xfer_ProgramData.log" /MT:16 /MIR /SEC /XA:SH /XX /R:0 /W:0 /V

I then either reports the LogFile can't be found, or in this specific case displays: -

Log File : N:\ProgramData\Xfer_ProgramData.log

and freezes. CTRL+C has no effect.

I have to close the CMD window

When I REM out the first RoboCopy and enable the second one

robocopy "%Source%" "%Destination%" /MT:16 /MIR /SEC /XA:SH /XX /R:0 /W:0 /V

RoboCopy will copy the files

Any suggestions - 90% of my scripts work perfectly creating the xxx.log file!

Russm4226, Sep 23, 2018
  3. Robocopy copies folders not in Documents to my backup Documents folder on 2nd drive.

Two things:

• You must surroound your folder names with double quotes:

robocopy "C:\Users\my name\Documents . . ." "D:\Dropbox\my name\Documents
      . . ."
    • Robocopy often hides target folders, causing users to think they are missing. Look for hidden folders.

Frederik Long, Sep 23, 2018
  4. Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion

Copy NTFS permissions to a NAS with Robocopy

Hello,

I'm actually using Robocopy to copy a "home" folder with NTFS permissions to a NAS Synology. All theses equipment are on the domain, that will be named XXXXX in this post.

The permissions on the "home" folder are explicit, and not inherited from the parent folder. Also note that the SYNOLOGY NAS have the Windows Permissions activated.

The goal is to create a backup of this "home" folder to the NAS with the permissions.

Here is the Robocopy script that i'm using :

------------

set rep_log=C:\Script\log

set rep_sync_DATA=\\SRV1\e$\home\

set rep_sync_NAS=\\NAS-SYNOLOGY01\test01\backup\home\

robocopy %rep_sync_DATA% %rep_sync_NAS% /MIR /SEC /ZB /NP /XF thumbs.db /R:2 /W:5 /log:%rep_log%\Synchronisation_backup_nas.txt

-----------

The Robocopy script works well, and the files are well copied. EXCEPT one. On my "home" source folder, we can find on the permission list the XXXXXX\Administrators group. (explicit permission)

But, unfortunately, once the folder is copied to the NAS, it change the XXXXX\Administrators group to NAS-SYSNOLOG01\Administrators. This folder take the local domain of the NAS instead of my AD domain.

Please note that this "domain change" is only applied to this group, and the others lambda groups are not impacted by this strange change. (example XXXXXX\Sales group on source folder will be copied as XXXXXX\Sales to the destination)

The same script works perfectly if the destination is a USB HDD for example. It only happens if I want to copy to the NAS.

Any idea to fix this issue ? I faced this issue twice, with SYNOLOGY and with NETAPP technology. Whatever soft I tried to copy (robocopy or others), the result is the same...

Thanks for your potential help Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion :)

Sébastien

Sébastien_980, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion

1. Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion - Similar Threads - Robocopy Destination Naming

2. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Name is confusing: I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results...
  3. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Name is confusing: I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results...
  4. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  6. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  7. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion: My computer has an account name that sometimes shows up as a way to log in to my computer. But I also have a Microsoft Account Name that I actually use to log in to my computer. I don't understand why. I can't delete the first one because it doesn't show up in my account...
  9. the source and destination file names are the same

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the source and destination file names are the same: I get this message when trying burn files to a DVD using DVD as active storage. I can only choose Skip or Cancel. I've done both. When I move the DVD to another computer it doesn't show the files have been burned onto the DVD....
  10. robocopy /MIR deleted all my files in the destination folder..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    robocopy /MIR deleted all my files in the destination folder..: ok so robocopy /MIR deleted all my files in the destination folder.. IT SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST A CONFIRMATION PROMPT BY DEFAULT !!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/robocopy-mir-deleted-all-my-files-in-the/b19d3974-5695-4f0e-ad4a-4eb5552eca41"