Windows 10: Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox

Discus and support Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have successfully created and used the following batch file in windows10 robocopy C:\Users\Julie\Documents\Test... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ColinKinsella, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox

I have successfully created and used the following batch file in windows10

robocopy C:\Users\Julie\Documents\Test C:\Users\Julie\Documents\accounts-backup
    pause

However when I run the batch below to copy the contents of a folder in Dropbox I get

ERROR 2 (0x00000002) Accessing Source Directory C:\Users\Julie\Dropbox\accounts\
    The system cannot find the file specified.

robocopy C:\Users\Julie\Dropbox\accounts C:\Users\Julie\Documents\accounts-backup
    pause

Any suggestions to resolve this

:)

ColinKinsella, Jan 3, 2019

2. Robocopy copies folders not in Documents to my backup Documents folder on 2nd drive.

Two things:

• You must surroound your folder names with double quotes:

robocopy "C:\Users\my name\Documents . . ." "D:\Dropbox\my name\Documents
      . . ."
    • Robocopy often hides target folders, causing users to think they are missing. Look for hidden folders.

Frederik Long, Jan 3, 2019
  3. TWWade Win User
    Robocopy copies folders not in Documents to my backup Documents folder on 2nd drive.

I currently have 2 PCs with Windows 10 that I backup Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos to a 3rd PC folder that is backed up to the Cloud. On my PC, the Music, Pictures and Videos folders are not under Documents. They are at the same level as Documents
    under my user name.

I had been using SyncToy to do the copying, but had to switch to Robocopy because SyncToy does not work right under Windows 10. All works fine. The SyncToy command and then the Robocopy command run on the 3rd PC.

I want to eliminate the 3rd PC and move the backup folder to a 2nd hard drive on my PC. That is where the problem begins. Robocopy will now run on my PC. When Robocopy copies the Document folder to the backup Documents folder, it copies 'My Music', 'My
    Pictures' and 'My Videos' to the backup Documents folder. These folders do not exist in the Documents folder. It appears that there is some link that connects 'My Music' to the separate Music folder. The same applies to 'My Pictures' and 'My Videos'.

This is the Robocopy command that I want to use to copy the Documents data to the backup Documents folder:

robocopy C:\Users\my name\Documents C:\Users\my name\Dropbox\PC1\Documents /mir >> c:\robocopybackup_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%.log

I tried adding the /XL Robocopy option to block the copy of these unwanted folders to my backup:

robocopy C:\Users\my name\Documents D:\Dropbox\my name\Documents /XD "C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Music","C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Pictures","C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Videos" /mir >> c:\robocopybackup_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%.log

This did not help. Please tell me what to do.....

Thank you!

TWWade, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox

Copy NTFS permissions to a NAS with Robocopy

Hello,

I'm actually using Robocopy to copy a "home" folder with NTFS permissions to a NAS Synology. All theses equipment are on the domain, that will be named XXXXX in this post.

The permissions on the "home" folder are explicit, and not inherited from the parent folder. Also note that the SYNOLOGY NAS have the Windows Permissions activated.

The goal is to create a backup of this "home" folder to the NAS with the permissions.

Here is the Robocopy script that i'm using :

------------

set rep_log=C:\Script\log

set rep_sync_DATA=\\SRV1\e$\home\

set rep_sync_NAS=\\NAS-SYNOLOGY01\test01\backup\home\

robocopy %rep_sync_DATA% %rep_sync_NAS% /MIR /SEC /ZB /NP /XF thumbs.db /R:2 /W:5 /log:%rep_log%\Synchronisation_backup_nas.txt

-----------

The Robocopy script works well, and the files are well copied. EXCEPT one. On my "home" source folder, we can find on the permission list the XXXXXX\Administrators group. (explicit permission)

But, unfortunately, once the folder is copied to the NAS, it change the XXXXX\Administrators group to NAS-SYSNOLOG01\Administrators. This folder take the local domain of the NAS instead of my AD domain.

Please note that this "domain change" is only applied to this group, and the others lambda groups are not impacted by this strange change. (example XXXXXX\Sales group on source folder will be copied as XXXXXX\Sales to the destination)

The same script works perfectly if the destination is a USB HDD for example. It only happens if I want to copy to the NAS.

Any idea to fix this issue ? I faced this issue twice, with SYNOLOGY and with NETAPP technology. Whatever soft I tried to copy (robocopy or others), the result is the same...

Thanks for your potential help Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox :)

Sébastien

Sébastien_980, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox

1. Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox - Similar Threads - Robocopy Error copyying

2. Why does Robocopy fail this folder?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Why does Robocopy fail this folder?: I have this weird folder in my windows 10 system drive, this doesn't seem to be a junction point so I don't know what it is, please see picture. I am trying to copy it with robocopy from an admin CLI from a WindowsPE off a Windows Installation Media USB stick, with the...
  3. Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folder not showing in explorer after robocopy: I used robocopy to backup the entire c:/ of a Win10 machine to an external harddrive. The bootloader of that machine is toast, so I'm doing this from CMD on a recovery disk. When the backup is done, if I run dir on the external drive I see nothing, but I can cd into the...
  4. is this Robocopy behavior a sign from Robocopy of fault or Errors ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    is this Robocopy behavior a sign from Robocopy of fault or Errors ?: the Indicator you see in the Image below highlighted in Red is Supposed to stay at the bottom and next to the file that is being copied but today while i was copying 300 gb of data like for example files from 1 to 100 it stayed next to file number 30 and followed this file...
  5. Dropbox folder icons confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    Dropbox folder icons confusion: As a user of Dropbox, many of my folder icons look like this: [img] The icon is identical to shortcuts to folders. So when there is a mixture of these it is hard to distinguish them. I'm wondering if there is a safe and simple way to change all folder shortcut icons,...
  6. Dropbox Error

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dropbox Error: When I start up my computer this comes up: "Dropbox OEM exe The exception unknown software exception Oxe0434352. Could you provide "easy" way of correcting this without going through too many hoops. Thanks...
  7. How Robocopy copy the folder start with A?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Robocopy copy the folder start with A?: Hi Recently i want to migrate my laptop to my desktop data, and i want to do it batch by batch So it is the below command is the correct command to copy the folder name start with A robocopy C:\Users\xxx\ a*.* /S ?MIR Z:\Users\xxx\ /COPY:DT /DCOPY:T Thank You...
  8. Duplicate Folders (OneDrive, Dropbox)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate Folders (OneDrive, Dropbox): Is there a way to stop program folders from appearing more than one in file explorer? OneDrive and Dropbox appear in the navigation pane under Desktop and my user folder....
  9. How to share a file or folder on Dropbox.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to share a file or folder on Dropbox.: I am trying to share a dropbox file. I open the dialog box to share, enter the email address and it says Windows cant find this person. The email is not in my contacts list but why should that matter? Any advice?...
  10. Onedrive adds folders already in Dropbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive adds folders already in Dropbox: When I recently did a clean install of Win10 on my wife's computer, it put a number of folders in her Onedrive folder (without asking!). She has an outlook.com email account. This was quite fortunate in a way because one of the folders was her Desktop. This helped in the...