Windows 10: Robocopy infinite recursion

Discus and support Robocopy infinite recursion in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 2 weeks ago. I have been using Robocopy for years to backup my system. However, since I upgraded,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jmac150, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Jmac150 Win User

Robocopy infinite recursion

Hi,

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 2 weeks ago.

I have been using Robocopy for years to backup my system. However, since I upgraded, Robocopy goes into a seemingly infinite loop, when backing up via the Documents and Settings Junction.

I have not changed the permissions on this folder, nor on the C:Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Application Data folder which is also involved.

If I show Operating System folders and try to open these folders, I get "Access Denied", as I would expect.

If I use the /XJ option in Robocopy, I will not be able to back up via junctions that I have set up to access data on a separate data drive.

What's the problem?

Thanks

:)

Jmac150, Dec 9, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Anyone familair with robocopy?

I use RoboCopy in a batch file to backup my user folder. There's a couple of pitfalls to be aware of. You've already found the 'retries' one. The default is a million retries waiting 30 seconds between each (that's nearly a year!). NTUser.dat was the file that it caught me out on. There's some switches to deal with that...
    ...I skip locked files with /R:0 (which would probably have fixed your 'System Volume Information' problem too).

The other problem I had was an infinite recursion (well, until the maximum path length was exceeded) of particular folders on the destination drive. These were caused by what look like links to 'My Music', 'My Pictures', etc. in the Documents folder. They're not links, they are Junction Points, there's a switch to deal with that too.
    Type RoboCopy /? for the full list.

Bree, Dec 9, 2018
  3. klepp0906 Win User
    Anyone familair with robocopy?

lol this may be helpful. Might be able to point me back to my original method. Nothing ventured nothing gained they say. If nothing else im learning and thats always a win when you have a terroristic toddler interrupting your "alone" time every 90 seconds ;p

klepp0906, Dec 9, 2018
  4. Sonam Jim Win User

Source Path Too Long bug in Windows 10

I totally agree: In other threads, this problem has come up because robocopy follows junctions and links, and MS, in their infinite wisdom, chose to create (or perpetuate from windowss 7 & 8) a link in User AppData\Local named 'Application Data' (which,
    BTW, ordinary users cannot remove) which points to the parent directory it is in (..\..\AppData). Robocopy, by default, follows junctions and symbolic links, which leads to a disk sucking infinite recursive creation of nested 'AppData; folders.

Sad! Fail!

The best cure to not have this happen would be to set default robocopy options:

• /XJ XJ excludes all junction points (which is what the Application Data link is)
    • /256 exclude > 256 character file path support. This will prevent the copy from happening in the first place.

Sonam Jim, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Robocopy infinite recursion - Similar Threads - Robocopy infinite recursion

2. Stuck in infinite recursive loop trying to recover live account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in infinite recursive loop trying to recover live account: My dad purchased a new computer to replace one that died. When we went to set it up, it asked him to sign into Live to set up Windows 11. But he didn't remember his old password. So, we tried entering a few of his old often-used passwords. Then, when none of those worked, we...
  3. Stuck in infinite recursive loop trying to recover live account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in infinite recursive loop trying to recover live account: This led up to this form link The second page of that form asks for his old passwords. Which he doesn’t know. That is, indeed, why we were directed to that page. So how in the name of all that is holy he is supposed to provide that information is truly beyond me. So we tried...
  4. robocopy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    robocopy: Hi robocopylog Total Copied ?1055, 197, log.txt818?/MIR /MT:8 /r:2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/robocopy/dca938b6-3089-4c84-ac33-6ae7c255f0b5
  5. robocopy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    robocopy: Hi robocopylog Total Copied ?1055, 197, log.txt818?/MIR /MT:8 /r:2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/robocopy/dca938b6-3089-4c84-ac33-6ae7c255f0b5
  6. robocopy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. recursively copy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recursively copy files: I was wondering if there was a way to recursively copy files with windows for example I have an Adobe CD or DVD and there is a folder of fonts. Manually copying them is very tedious. so I was wondering if there was a way to do this with a batch file or shell script...
  8. Robocopy options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Robocopy options: I have a batch file that contains this line Code: robocopy "E:\ame\Documents\_kunddata" "\\DESKTOP-2S2F2DJ\Backup\Kunddata" /MIR /W:1 /R:1 /LOG:C:\TEMP\BACKUP.LOG In the log file I get this Code: Options : *.* /S /E /DCOPY:DA /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /R:1 /W:1 So there are som...
  9. Robocopy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Robocopy: I like Robocopy and used it for a long time but after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it got in a loop when I tried to back up via the Documents and Settings Junction. I know that I didn’t change permissions on this folder. But If I try to open it, I get "Access...
  10. DISMHOST.exe is recursively recreating itself

in Windows 10 Support
    DISMHOST.exe is recursively recreating itself: Dismhost.exe is recreating itself and and new folder about every 5 minutes while the machine is idle/asleep. Each of these new folders in \users\me\AppData\local\temp\... and contains about 2 dozen files and a copy of dismhost.exe. To the tune of about 2 gigs an hour. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Script to delete an infinite Windows 10 Symlink loop

2. robocopy symbolic link infinite loop

3. robocopy link recursive xj