Windows 10: ROBOCOPY Log File Question

Discus and support ROBOCOPY Log File Question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi Folks, I have been tinkering on and off with the Robocopy command to copy essential documents and files to an SD Card automatically, several times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ArthurDent, Apr 21, 2020.

1. ROBOCOPY Log File Question

Hi Folks,

I have been tinkering on and off with the Robocopy command to copy essential documents and files to an SD Card automatically, several times a day (this after my wife's laptop with SSD went belly-up and she lost her most recent work).

At the moment, there is a 'Pause' command to allow me to look at how Robocopy is behaving. All *seemed* to be well until I happened to glance at the screen one day and I saw an error flash by (which I subsequently tacked down) - this, however, isn't my issue.

What I noticed was that when scolling back up the screen log not everything was included - only the last parts of the whole operation - and I couldn't find the infomation about the error I had spotted - so I ran the batch file again and used Fn + Pause at the appropriate time to see the error.

The above is background to my question ...

Reading up about Robocopy, I found the command /log: <logfile> where the status output can be directed into a text file.

The question I have is this.

My batch file has 25 lines in it - such as

Set BackupDrive=M:

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Downloads" "%BackupDrive%\Downloads" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Music" "%BackupDrive%\My Music" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Pictures" "%BackupDrive%\My Pictures" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Videos" "%BackupDrive%\My Videos" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

I have saved a text document (called "SD-logfile") in the location on C: drive that I have used for the backup batch file - namely: /log: C:\Users\Phil\Documents\COMPUTER STUFF\AUTO BACKUP to SD CARD

Do I have to append "/log: C:\Users\Phil\Documents\COMPUTER STUFF\AUTO BACKUP to SD CARD\SD-Logfile"
    to each and every one of the 24 command lines (four samples of which are shown above).

or

Can I just issue this command once (like the Set backupDrive command) using something like Log=C:\Users\Phil\Documents\COMPUTER STUFF\AUTO BACKUP to SD CARD\SD-Logfile?

If I can do it just the once, could someone show me what form that command should take (I'm a complete noob at witing scripts and batch files).

Thanks in advance,

Art

Using this batch file on 3 different PCs - one using Win 10 and two using Win 7. Currently writing this on a Win 7 laptop.

:)

ArthurDent, Apr 21, 2020

2. ROBOCOPY Log File Question

Hi Folks,

I have been tinkering on and off with the Robocopy command to copy essential documents and files to an SD Card automatically, several times a day (this after my wife's laptop with SSD went belly-up and she lost her most recent work).

At the moment, there is a 'Pause' command to allow me to look at how Robocopy is behaving. All *seemed* to be well until I happened to glance at the screen one day and I saw an error flash by (which I subsequently tacked down) - this, however, isn't my issue.

What I noticed was that when scolling back up the screen log not everything was included - only the last parts of the whole operation - and I couldn't find the infomation about the error I had spotted - so I ran the batch file again and used Fn + Pause at the appropriate time to see the error.

The above is background to my question ...

Reading up about Robocopy, I found the command /log: <logfile> where the status output can be directed into a text file.

The question I have is this.

My batch file has 25 lines in it - such as

Set BackupDrive=M:

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Downloads" "%BackupDrive%\Downloads" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Music" "%BackupDrive%\My Music" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Pictures" "%BackupDrive%\My Pictures" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

Robocopy "C:\Users\Phil\Videos" "%BackupDrive%\My Videos" /S /R:3 /MT:1 /DCOPYROBOCOPY Log File Question :DAT /XA:SH /MIR /W:3

I have saved a text document (called "SD-logfile") in the location on C: drive that I have used for the backup batch file - namely: /log: C:\Users\Phil\Documents\COMPUTER STUFF\AUTO BACKUP to SD CARD

Do I have to append "/log: C:\Users\Phil\Documents\COMPUTER STUFF\AUTO BACKUP to SD CARD\SD-Logfile"
    to each and every one of the 24 command lines (four samples of which are shown above).

or

Can I just issue this command once (like the Set backupDrive command) using something like Log=C:\Users\Phil\Documents\COMPUTER STUFF\AUTO BACKUP to SD CARD\SD-Logfile?

If I can do it just the once, could someone show me what form that command should take (I'm a complete noob at witing scripts and batch files).

Thanks in advance,

Art

Using this batch file on 3 different PCs - one using Win 10 and two using Win 7. Currently writing this on a Win 7 laptop.

ArthurDent, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Golden Win User
    Golden, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Tatty_One Win User

ROBOCOPY Log File Question

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

ROBOCOPY Log File Question

1. ROBOCOPY Log File Question - Similar Threads - ROBOCOPY Log File

2. Robocopy - Fails to Copy All Files, Doesn't Log Failures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy - Fails to Copy All Files, Doesn't Log Failures: I'm frequently copying large folder structures using Robocopy and I'm finding more and more cases of files NOT being copied and the log doesn't mention anything. Is there any known bugs or reasons for such behavior that could explain why this is happening and how to keep it...
  3. Robocopy - Fails to Copy All Files, Doesn't Log Failures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy - Fails to Copy All Files, Doesn't Log Failures: I'm frequently copying large folder structures using Robocopy and I'm finding more and more cases of files NOT being copied and the log doesn't mention anything. Is there any known bugs or reasons for such behavior that could explain why this is happening and how to keep it...
  4. Robocopy - Fails to Copy All Files, Doesn't Log Failures

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP: Okay so for work, I have to copy the same folders and subfolders-there's a lot WITHOUT the files in them into a new folder for 2022. I used this formula in command prompt for work last year and it worked:robocopy "C:\Users\AdvertisingCoordinator\BoomSync\Media Buying\Clients"...
  6. Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP: Okay so for work, I have to copy the same folders and subfolders-there's a lot WITHOUT the files in them into a new folder for 2022. I used this formula in command prompt for work last year and it worked:robocopy "C:\Users\AdvertisingCoordinator\BoomSync\Media Buying\Clients"...
  7. Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. question about robocopy behavior...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    question about robocopy behavior...: I was trying to do a quick backup of my documents folder, so decided to use robocopy with the /MIR switch: robocopy C:\Users\Brian\Documents D:\Backups\X390\Current\Documents /MIR It was taking a really long time, and what I discovered is that robocopy also backed up my...
  9. Robocopy speed question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Robocopy speed question: I have 2 large files total 210 GB being copied by Robocopy between 2 external drives. Task Manager under "Disk" indicates a transfer speed of 30 MB/s. A straightforward calculation indicates that it should take 117 minutes to complete the transfer. In practice, however,...
  10. Question about robocopy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about robocopy: Hi everyone, I have a problem with robocopy command: i want to make a script for a backup but i only want the most recent files to be copied, i used to do it with the xcopy command with /d parameter but i have some memory issues. Here is an exemple: xcopy "D:\Exemple"...