Windows 10: Robocopy making disk access very slow

Discus and support Robocopy making disk access very slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello ,I am using Robocopy to periodically copy data media data mp4 video files from Local drive to network drive.When Robocopy is executing copy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sampath Kumar Ramayanapu, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Robocopy making disk access very slow

Hello ,I am using Robocopy to periodically copy data media data mp4 video files from Local drive to network drive.When Robocopy is executing copy command, local disk access is very slow and becoming almost unusable to open it.Tried with different thread options 8,16,32 etc. but disk performance issue is not solved.Any reason why robocopy is hampering local disk performance so badly.?Thanks Sampath

:)

Sampath Kumar Ramayanapu, Apr 1, 2023

2. 100% disk utilisation slowing laptop

Hi Mara May,

Thank you for your assistance, I have had to type this in WORD and copy paste into the thread here due to all things through Chrome and Edge are so slow.

• Windows is always up to date with all updates.
    • Norton Utilities is also up to date
    • I have already done the following:
      • Tested HDD with HP Startup Menu and disk is 100% in order
      • Carried out SFC scan and corrupt files repaired
      • Did a DSIM restore health and no issues found-Disk utilisation is now generally below 50%
      • When using Chrome browser, to access this chat for example, its very slow with Disk utilisation at 10% or so but Memory at 55% with Chrome using most of it always.
      • So the problem is partially resolved except for when using Chrome
      • With Edge the memory goes up to 62% and HDD 100%
      • Did you suggested :Methods” 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
    • I have not done a “clean boot” as it scares me at this stage.
    It seems to be an issue between Chrome/Edge browsers as when I use Office 365’s Outlook, Word etc, the speed is now OK. Also the Disk utilisation seems to be generally acceptable but memory high that may be slowing the laptop down?

I have had issues with Teams simultaneously in that it’s so slow but with Zoom its normal, coincidence?

I look forward to your further suggestions.

Regards

BenoitLe Roy, Apr 1, 2023
  3. robocopy text going slow

Hello Slick. I'm Greg, here to help you with this.

Here's how to troubleshoot slow Robocopying and other alternatives:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2eww...

https://www.technipages.com/copy-files-faster-w...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-to-copy-fi...

https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/speeding-...

http://techzle.com/are-files-copying-slow-try-t...

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the detailed results you post back, I will have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020 (retired), Apr 1, 2023
  4. Robocopy making disk access very slow

Robocopy speed question

I have 2 large files (total 210 GB) being copied by Robocopy between 2 external drives. Task Manager under "Disk" indicates a transfer speed of 30 MB/s.

A straightforward calculation indicates that it should take 117 minutes to complete the transfer. In practice, however, I am noticing a time to completion of about 250 minutes, or more than double the theoretical calculation.

Can anyone please explain this large discrepancy or, alternatively, suggest some way to improve on this performance? With Robocopy I use switches /mir /xo /mt:80.

All suggestions appreciated.

IvanDenisovich, Apr 1, 2023
Thema:

Robocopy making disk access very slow

1. Robocopy making disk access very slow - Similar Threads - Robocopy making disk

2. Robocopy making disk access very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy making disk access very slow: Hello ,I am using Robocopy to periodically copy data media data mp4 video files from Local drive to network drive.When Robocopy is executing copy command, local disk access is very slow and becoming almost unusable to open it.Tried with different thread options 8,16,32 etc....
  3. Robocopy making disk access very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy making disk access very slow: Hello ,I am using Robocopy to periodically copy data media data mp4 video files from Local drive to network drive.When Robocopy is executing copy command, local disk access is very slow and becoming almost unusable to open it.Tried with different thread options 8,16,32 etc....
  4. robocopy text going slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    robocopy text going slow: I usually use the /v switch on robocopy, but this time I didn't really need that, so I did it without the /v command. I used the following parms to back up the mods I made to a game before experimenting:robocopy /e "C:\GOG Games\BATTLETECH" "F:\gog\BATTLETECH" /XO /xj /FFT /z...
  5. Very slow access to USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very slow access to USB HDD: I have a rather young 4 TB USB HDD. Some time ago I formatted it in Ext4 and used it in a Linux system. Now I will use it in Windows. I formatted it in NTFS (Quick Format) and copied 2 TB data to it. Up to here everything was ok. I connected this USB3 capable HDD to a USB2...
  6. windows 10 and very high disk access usage slowing evrything down

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 and very high disk access usage slowing evrything down: I have a Lenova idea pad 510 purchased 2016 running windows 10 from new. Its got really slow and goes to 100% disk usage while just sitting there. So I thought some software that I put on there has messed it up. Not one for half measures I restored the windows 10 from the...
  7. Fixing external Disk is very slow!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fixing external Disk is very slow!: Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs. right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my...
  8. very slow access to emails ...........

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    very slow access to emails ...........: When attempting to search for contacts, I keep getting message - Your request can't be completed at the moment ...... Also, when attempting to scroll down to search emails, it takes an eternity as the system freezes then moves slowly - most frustrating. I get a message...
  9. Disc access very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disc access very slow: I have an HP Envy i7 laptop which came with a 1TB hard drive. As there was space to add a second drive I added a 500GB drive. In addition I added a 320GB drive in the DVD slot (using a dvd/disc converter cartridge). I have recently noticed that disc access in Explorer...
  10. System process reading disk 100% and making the system very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System process reading disk 100% and making the system very slow: I found out that the hard disk is 100% utilized. In Task Manager, the process that utilizes the disk the most is ESET Service. If I open Resource Monitor there are many instances of the System process that are reading the disk, not writing it. I have two partitions on my disk...