Windows 10: ROBOCOPY probs alternate method for new and changed files

Discus and support ROBOCOPY probs alternate method for new and changed files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks If you are getting hosed up with ROBOCOPY then alternate method : If you have the WSL or a Linux VM (or a NAS with a CMD line on it) and you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, May 5, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

ROBOCOPY probs alternate method for new and changed files

Hi folks If you are getting hosed up with ROBOCOPY then alternate method : If you have the WSL or a Linux VM (or a NAS with a CMD line on it) and you just want to copy new and changed files only then simply do : rsync -avP /source/path/ /dest/path/ parameters a = archive mode - duplicates the source tree as closely as possible, v = verbose -- displays diagnostics , P = progress -- displays progress This method won't be suitable for a lot but I do know quite a few have Linux VM.s the WSL or NAS systems and a requirement is often simply to backup new and changed Data files only. (For the OS I'd always image the whole system but that's another issue). Remember often from Windows you can often get to a NAS command line via SSH. W10 has openssh client installed by default and openssh server is installable from the extra apps - you'll need the openssh server service running on Windows to send files from Windows to NAS by this method as the command is executing ON the NAS. The NAS can of course read NTFS files - I'm assuming your NAS is either a NAS proprietary box e.g QNAP or whatever or a "Home build Linux server" rather than just "Dumb" HDD's with network capability like say a network printer. Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 5, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

If you are getting hosed up with ROBOCOPY then alternate method :

If you have the WSL or a Linux VM (or a NAS with a CMD line on it) and you just want to copy new and changed files only

then simply do : rsync -avP /source/path/ /dest/path/

parameters a = archive mode - duplicates the source tree as closely as possible, v = verbose -- displays diagnostics , P = progress -- displays progress

This method won't be suitable for a lot but I do know quite a few have Linux VM.s the WSL or NAS systems and a requirement is often simply to backup new and changed Data files only. (For the OS I'd always image the whole system but that's another issue).

Remember often from Windows you can often get to a NAS command line via SSH.

W10 has openssh client installed by default and openssh server is installable from the extra apps - you'll need the openssh server service running on Windows to send files from Windows to NAS by this method as the command is executing ON the NAS.

The NAS can of course read NTFS files - I'm assuming your NAS is either a NAS proprietary box e.g QNAP or whatever or a "Home build Linux server" rather than just "Dumb" HDD's with network capability like say a network printer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 5, 2021
  3. Robocopy speed question

I have 2 large files (total 210 GB) being copied by Robocopy between 2 external drives. Task Manager under "Disk" indicates a transfer speed of 30 MB/s.

A straightforward calculation indicates that it should take 117 minutes to complete the transfer. In practice, however, I am noticing a time to completion of about 250 minutes, or more than double the theoretical calculation.

Can anyone please explain this large discrepancy or, alternatively, suggest some way to improve on this performance? With Robocopy I use switches /mir /xo /mt:80.

All suggestions appreciated.

IvanDenisovich, May 5, 2021
  4. ROBOCOPY probs alternate method for new and changed files

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. ROBOCOPY probs alternate method for new and changed files - Similar Threads - ROBOCOPY probs alternate

2. probs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    probs: why after all these years are u saying my windows is counterfit i purchased the comp and windows at store down loaded myself dont have the box anymore 25 years ago should i change to apple cant get a direct contact with the REAL microsoft will change comp and server I wantb a...
  3. Robocopy - copy changed files only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy - copy changed files only: Hi, I have restored not recovered a PC from a Windows 7 backup taken 28th June. I have a Robocopy of the PC taken 30th June. I would like to now copy to the PC any files which changed after I took the Windows 7 backup on the 28th. I specifically do not want to copy any files...
  4. Robocopy - copy changed files only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy - copy changed files only: Hi, I have restored not recovered a PC from a Windows 7 backup taken 28th June. I have a Robocopy of the PC taken 30th June. I would like to now copy to the PC any files which changed after I took the Windows 7 backup on the 28th. I specifically do not want to copy any files...
  5. Robocopy - copy changed files only

6. Feedback - Alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feedback - Alternative methods?: I am unable to download the Feedback Hub, due to company policy on my work computer. Is there any other way to provide feedback on changes you would like to see implemented in Microsoft Windows?I would really like to see Microsoft move the 'Unpin from Quick access' selection...
  7. Feedback - Alternative methods?

Feedback - Alternative methods?: I am unable to download the Feedback Hub, due to company policy on my work computer. Is there any other way to provide feedback on changes you would like to see implemented in Microsoft Windows?I would really like to see Microsoft move the 'Unpin from Quick access' selection...
  8. Linux with w10 - alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Support
    Linux with w10 - alternative methods?: Is this a fair summary of the possible ways to use Linux on a machine with w10 already installed ? w10p 1909 build (up-to-date), digital license, MS Account linked, single user. Option 1: With w10 shutdown use a Linux live bootable usb and operate the Linux system only from...
  9. Alternate Method to report abusive OneDrive PDFs?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Alternate Method to report abusive OneDrive PDFs?: Is there an alternate method to report abusive PDFs than the site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/concern/onedrive ? We occasionally get phishing attempts with OneDrive PDFs shared as shareable links - therefore the file is not explicitly shared with me, nor does it have...
  10. Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternative methods for unpinning from Start?: I don't know if this is a bug or fluke, but I had two Office 2016 apps pinned to Start in Win10. Later, I uninstalled Office 2016. Instead of the two pinned items also disappearing, they stuck around, but now they're just blank squares that (of course) do nothing. The...