Windows 10: Robocopy speed question

Discus and support Robocopy speed question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 large files total 210 GB being copied by Robocopy between 2 external drives. Task Manager under "Disk" indicates a transfer speed of 30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IvanDenisovich, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Robocopy speed question

I have 2 large files total 210 GB being copied by Robocopy between 2 external drives. Task Manager under "Disk" indicates a transfer speed of 30 MB/s.

A straightforward calculation indicates that it should take 117 minutes to complete the transfer. In practice, however, I am noticing a time to completion of about 250 minutes, or more than double the theoretical calculation.

Can anyone please explain this large discrepancy or, alternatively, suggest some way to improve on this performance? With Robocopy I use switches /mir /xo /mt:80.

All suggestions appreciated.

:)

IvanDenisovich, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Windows 10 file transfer

You write "the file transfer speed drops to zero", yet the xcopy command does not provide you with any feedback about speed or progress. I suggest you do this to drill down a bit further:

• Examine the event logger (as mentioned before)
    • Use robocopy instead of xcopy:

robocopy F:\ D:\ /s
    • Repeat the copy process on a different machine

Frederik Long, Sep 11, 2020
  4. cShane Win User

Robocopy speed question

Robocopy multi-threaded copies

Thanks. I
    posted
    a question there.

Shane.

cShane, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Robocopy speed question

1. Robocopy speed question - Similar Threads - Robocopy speed question

2. Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP: Okay so for work, I have to copy the same folders and subfolders-there's a lot WITHOUT the files in them into a new folder for 2022. I used this formula in command prompt for work last year and it worked:robocopy "C:\Users\AdvertisingCoordinator\BoomSync\Media Buying\Clients"...
  3. Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP: Okay so for work, I have to copy the same folders and subfolders-there's a lot WITHOUT the files in them into a new folder for 2022. I used this formula in command prompt for work last year and it worked:robocopy "C:\Users\AdvertisingCoordinator\BoomSync\Media Buying\Clients"...
  4. Robocopy formula question PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. question about robocopy behavior...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    question about robocopy behavior...: I was trying to do a quick backup of my documents folder, so decided to use robocopy with the /MIR switch: robocopy C:\Users\Brian\Documents D:\Backups\X390\Current\Documents /MIR It was taking a really long time, and what I discovered is that robocopy also backed up my...
  6. ROBOCOPY Log File Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    ROBOCOPY Log File Question: Hi Folks, I have been tinkering on and off with the Robocopy command to copy essential documents and files to an SD Card automatically, several times a day (this after my wife's laptop with SSD went belly-up and she lost her most recent work). At the moment, there is a...
  7. WiFi Network speed and internet speed question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi Network speed and internet speed question: Okay I don't understand this I have a 1gb network modem/router thru CenturyLink and what I don't understand is on all my local networking I get the 1gig speed. On my wired machines when I access the internet I actually get 900mb download/upload speeds, but when I use my...
  8. Question about robocopy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about robocopy: Hi everyone, I have a problem with robocopy command: i want to make a script for a backup but i only want the most recent files to be copied, i used to do it with the xcopy command with /d parameter but i have some memory issues. Here is an exemple: xcopy "D:\Exemple"...
  9. CPU clock speed question

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    CPU clock speed question: Hi, my kids are building a gaming computer, and the CPU they've chosen is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-core. I think there was some confusion between the 2700x and the 2700. Anyway, the 2700X has a clock speed of 3.7 GHz and the 2700 has 3.2GHz. Is there much difference...
  10. Performance, speed questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance, speed questions: I wasn't sure where to ask this so I thought I'd start here. I recently bought a new laptop that I thought would be fast performance wise. Imagine my dismay when the new computer runs slightly slower than my nearly 4 year old laptop, according to performance benchmarks and...