Windows 10: Robocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference

Discus and support Robocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, after a recent upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I stumbled upon a weird little problem that I don't understand at all. I do all my backups... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cpw83, Feb 11, 2020.

1. cpw83 Win User

Robocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference

Hi,

after a recent upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I stumbled upon a weird little problem that I don't understand at all.

I do all my backups with Robocopy. All important data is on a local hard drive D:, I use another, identically sized local hard drive E: for internal backups kind of a "manual RAID 1" if you will and additional external hard drives via USB. All of those drives use NTFS.

My Robocopy commandline looks like this:

robocopy D:\ E:\ /E /ZB /COPYALL /PURGE /XD "RECYCLER" "$RECYCLE.BIN" "RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information"

I ran this on Windows 7 with Administrator rights right before the upgrade to Windows 10, so pretty much all data on both drives should be identical, including NTFS-ACLs et cetera.

When I ran this after the upgrade to Windows 10, Robocopy regarded all the files as modified and started to copy everything again. I stopped Robocopy after a couple of files to investigate and run everything with/T to see what was going on without changing anything.

What I figured out so far: /COPYALL equates to /COPYRobocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference :DATSOU is the culprit, respectively the attributesS, O and U. If I use /COPYRobocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference :DAT, Robocopy will - as expected - not regard the files as modified. If I use any of the other options in any combination e.g./COPYRobocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference :DATS, /COPYRobocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference :DATO, /COPYRobocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference :DATU, Robocopy claims the files were modified. It will however not touch the files that were previously copied again via/COPYALL in my first attempt, so apparently there was a change in the ACLs S, the owner information O and the auditing information U taking place on one of the NTFS volumes at some point during the Windows update.

The thing is: I can't find any difference anywhere. I checked and compared everything I could find in the file properties and had a look at some files and folders withicacls on the command line, absolutely everything seems to be 100% identical.

What am I missing? Is there any other way of getting information about ACL, owner and auditing information of files and folders that might reveal a difference?

Thanks in advance!

:)

cpw83, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Binky_875 Win User

Repeat RoboCopy batch file in Windows 10 gives different results.

Action taken as suggested.

Same question now exists here
    HERE

Binky_875, Feb 11, 2020
  3. JGStrong Win User
    Windows 10 robocopy ERROR 1392 (0x00000570) file or directory is corrupted

I keep all my personal and business data on a 2TB Passport external drive and back up key parts of it daily to two other external drives using robocopy. I've been doing this for years.

Since I upgraded to Windows 10, however, I keep getting the error I mentioned above (in the subject line). Robocopy complains that some file or directory on the **destination** drive is unreadable, and sure enough, I am unable to delete the file. I've tried
    both File Assassin and File Unlocker. File Assassin complains that it cannot see the file. File Unlocker claims to delete it, but I still see it in Windows Explorer, even after rebooting. The only way to get rid of the file is to boot in safe mode and delete
    it.

Problem is: this keeps reoccurring in different places in the filesystem !!!

Relevant facts:

* It occurs on *both* of my backup drives, which suggests to my mind that the problem is not with the backup device.

* Again, it occurs with different files in different places. There's no detectable pattern as far as location.

* CHKDSK reports no problems on any of my disks

* SFC reports no problems on any of my filesystems

For now, I've settled on the following work-around: I tell robocopy to ignore read errors:

For EX: robocopy g:\data q:\data /mir /R:0 /W:0

So now robocopy runs to completion instead of hanging, but it reports FAILURES.

I am worried about my data and would appreciate guidance and suggestions.

JGStrong, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Robocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference

Windows 10 robocopy ERROR 1392 (0x00000570) file or directory is corru

I keep all my personal and business data on a 2TB Passport external drive and back up key parts of it daily to two other external drives using robocopy. I've been doing this for years.
    Since I upgraded to Windows 10, however, I keep getting the error I mentioned above (in the subject line). Robocopy complains that some file or directory on the **destination** drive is unreadable, and sure enough, I am unable to delete the file. I've tried both File Assassin and File Unlocker. File Assassin complains that it cannot see the file. File Unlocker claims to delete it, but I still see it in Windows Explorer, even after rebooting. The only way to get rid of the file is to boot in safe mode and delete it.
    Problem is: this keeps reoccurring in different places in the filesystem !!!
    Relevant facts:
    * It occurs on *both* of my backup drives, which suggests to my mind that the problem is not with the backup device.
    * Again, it occurs with different files in different places. There's no detectable pattern as far as location.
    * CHKDSK reports no problems on any of my disks
    * SFC reports no problems on any of my filesystems
    For now, I've settled on the following work-around: I tell robocopy to ignore read errors:
    For EX: robocopy g:\data q:\data /mir /R:0 /W:0
    So now robocopy runs to completion instead of hanging, but it reports FAILURES.
    I am worried about my data and would appreciate guidance and suggestions.

pluviosilla, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Robocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference

1. Robocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference - Similar Threads - Robocopy tells files

2. I can't connect to any wifi or can't find any

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't connect to any wifi or can't find any: About 3 months ago, I was having trouble connecting to wifi. Back then when I first started my laptop for 3-4 days I had to spend an hour connecting to wifi. Every time I turned on my computer it said "Cannot connect to this network" and after an hour it magically connected....
  3. I can't connect to any wifi or can't find any

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't connect to any wifi or can't find any: About 3 months ago, I was having trouble connecting to wifi. Back then when I first started my laptop for 3-4 days I had to spend an hour connecting to wifi. Every time I turned on my computer it said "Cannot connect to this network" and after an hour it magically connected....
  4. I can't connect to any wifi or can't find any

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Using sleep instead shutdown tell me the difference

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using sleep instead shutdown tell me the difference: I use sleep most of the times to make my life easier but I dont know if im doing it right. Is there any changes if I do shutdown instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-sleep-instead-shutdown-tell-me-the/63d824f0-f0e0-4675-b801-2de04fc7c964
  6. Windows 10 tells me that I have a different monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 tells me that I have a different monitor: I am running Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.508. Recently device manager tells me that my monitor is an Acer 271HL when, in fact, my monitor is an AOC 2270SWHN. I have never had an Acer monitor. Why is this happening? 164400
  7. Windows 10 tells me that I have a different monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 tells me that I have a different monitor: I am running Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.508. Recently device manager tells me that my monitor is an Acer 271HL when, in fact, my monitor is an AOC 2270SWHN. I have never had an Acer monitor. Why is this happening? 164400
  8. I can't modify game files inside WindowsApps

I can't modify game files inside WindowsApps: I have a game I want to mod, that is found inside WindowsApps. I've taken every step to make sure I own the folder but I can't do the same to all the child folders with the games. I own those games, this permissions system it's so infuriating....
  9. Windows 10 telling me to uninstall app - but I can't find any trace of app to uninstall it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 telling me to uninstall app - but I can't find any trace of app to uninstall it: Hi, My Windows 10 won't update because it says I need to manually uninstall Avira AntiVir - but as far as I am aware it was successfully uninstalled about 2/3 years ago and I can't find it anywhere on my PC, in my list of apps, etc. Any ideas?...
  10. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

Backup with robocopy file count and size are different: I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful. After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big discrepancy in file size and count eating up the space on my external drive? See attached screenshot: [ATTACH] If I compare...